Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I'm increasingly disappointed by games with no +Buy  (Read 3424 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
I'm increasingly disappointed by games with no +Buy
« on: September 08, 2018, 09:52:25 pm »
+7

I think there's few things that are as good at making a game thoroughly boring as not having any +Buy (Or any other ways to gain multiple cards per turn.) No Villages usually makes a game less interesting, but there can still be some interesting strategy in how to navigate around the tight terminal space. The particular problem with no +Buy is that you're immediately at a hard cap of one Province a turn. Building a complicated deck becomes pointless, and if a really cool engine were otherwise possible it just feels sad. And then often it's already gg if you're 2 Provinces behind because it's mathematically impossible to catch up.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:57:02 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Re: I'm increasingly disappointed by games with no +Buy
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 12:44:42 am »
+11

I see your point but it is fun to find the subtle ways to get an edge in such games, if possible -- keeping 1 of your Estates in a Jack game, buying Death Cart just for a potential Ruined Market, racing to Princess, etc. Alt VP can mix it up -- 1 Province per turn vs 1 Vineyard per turn, 1 Province per turn vs Dominate every other turn, Duchy vs. Triumphal Arch points, etc. And of course there are other types of payload besides gains which even without gaining anything can out pace 1 Province per turn.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 12:45:43 am by Dingan »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 08:54:19 am »
+1

Perfection is not achieved when there is nothing more to add but when there is nothing more to take away. Efficiency is very much part of Dominion.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 09:36:38 am »

No extra gains boards are what kills engine potential way more than no Village boards. Even the weirdest of extra gains like Delve or Beggar can be made to make work sometimes, but almost never a single gain board.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 11:16:22 am »
+1

Clearly, this is why Bridge Troll is the single best card in the game. :)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +629
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 01:10:39 pm »
+3

Clearly, this is why Bridge TrollRuined Market is the single best card in the game. :)
FTFY
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 10:32:54 pm »

COMPLETELY!.  It's the biggest hole in Dominion (in general). I hope since the new Renaissance is thought to play of guilds, that they will add a TON of buys (and new and interesting ways to get buys via all the artifacts and stuff).  We'll see.

"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 04:52:47 am »

I think there's few things that are as good at making a game thoroughly boring as not having any +Buy (Or any other ways to gain multiple cards per turn.) No Villages usually makes a game less interesting, but there can still be some interesting strategy in how to navigate around the tight terminal space. The particular problem with no +Buy is that you're immediately at a hard cap of one Province a turn. Building a complicated deck becomes pointless, and if a really cool engine were otherwise possible it just feels sad. And then often it's already gg if you're 2 Provinces behind because it's mathematically impossible to catch up.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

I would think that it's a challenge how to consistently reach this hard cap of one Province, to decide whether to buy a Duchy or a card that makes me attain €8 more consistently, etc.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 09:42:35 am »
+3

I also like periodic single province games because it can put more emphasis on when to start greening. In big engine games with lots of buys, it seems like you just keep building and building until you can end the game on a win.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 11:59:08 am »
+4

I like the challenge of single buy games. As Mark Rosewater once said, restrictions breed creativity
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 07:47:16 pm »
+2

This is why I never liked the removal of Woodcutter. Even a weak +Buy can be completely game-changing when it's the best +Buy on the board, and it can be really interesting having to find a way to work with it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 09:01:00 pm »

This is why I never liked the removal of Woodcutter. Even a weak +Buy can be completely game-changing when it's the best +Buy on the board, and it can be really interesting having to find a way to work with it.

Yeah, Woodcutter is a much more interesting card than the new nerfed Chancellor.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 10:35:53 pm »

Yeah, I sort of miss it too. It just felt like a card that had to exist. In the end, though it was like Herbalist. You only get it for the +Buy, and you always get it grudgingly. I guess that's reason enough to give the axemen the axe.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 01:07:20 am »
+1

Yeah, I sort of miss it too. It just felt like a card that had to exist. In the end, though it was like Herbalist. You only get it for the +Buy, and you always get it grudgingly. I guess that's reason enough to give the axemen the axe.

Meh, we got Artisan now.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.117 seconds with 21 queries.