Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Is there a card you always buy?  (Read 11427 times)

jimjam

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a card you always buy?
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 02:39:43 am »

I always buy Fishing Village, then sometimes realize there's no a single nonterminal in the kingdom.
I've gotten screwed many times trying to pursue Apothecary strategies. I just love that card for some reason.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 08:47:48 am »

Probably not perfectly for this thread, but for all the talk of scout being the worst card (easily top 5) in all of dominion, I gain scout 63.4% of the time.  I suck with it too (both negative effects with/without).  Maybe I should stop buying it... it just seems so harmless...

This blows my mind Jaguar, I'm impressed :) I'm at a more conservative 7%, myself!
In my early days of playing (I never used this site), I figured out that terminals can clog your deck, blah blah blah.  That day onwards, anything with +action was golden looking, it can't collide.  Pearl Diver, scout, and spy all look like good cards. 

Fun times.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 09:41:55 am »

mountebank, mabye fishing village
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 09:46:13 am »

Probably not perfectly for this thread, but for all the talk of scout being the worst card (easily top 5) in all of dominion, I gain scout 63.4% of the time.  I suck with it too (both negative effects with/without).  Maybe I should stop buying it... it just seems so harmless...

This blows my mind Jaguar, I'm impressed :) I'm at a more conservative 7%, myself!
In my early days of playing (I never used this site), I figured out that terminals can clog your deck, blah blah blah.  That day onwards, anything with +action was golden looking, it can't collide.  Pearl Diver, scout, and spy all look like good cards. 

Fun times.

Agreed, i went through 'more cards are better' approach, then not able to play them all so bought too many +actions, then went through realising money was being underrated. No idea where i am now though!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 09:55:56 am »

Menagerie. I love menagerie and always desperately look for ways to enable it. Grand Market too, though the love's started to fade now that I've been on the wrong end of a GM advantage a couple of times. Man, that sucks.

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 10:00:03 am »

Oh, yeah - I forgot Scrying Pool and Apothecary. I really like the more intricate non-terminals, it seems. (Stables and Tournament come to mind as well...)

blackb

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 10:22:44 am »

Festival is a nice card I nearly always want to have.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 10:38:13 am »

I buy Fishing Village, Tournament, and Hunting Party over 95 percent of the time, so those are probably all cards I could stand to buy a little less often.  But not that much less!

The next two- Ambassador and Goons- absolutely deserve the insane 94.x buy rates I give them.  They are very likely the two strongest cards in the 2p game, after all.

There are five other cards I pick up in over 90 percent of games- Remake, Border Village, Menagerie, Mountebank, and Hamlet.  I suspect Menagerie and Mountebank deserve that level of purchase, the other three probably not quite.

That's half of my top 10 ALL FROM CORNUCOPIA for those keeping score at home.  God I love that expansion.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 11:35:32 am »

That's half of my top 10 ALL FROM CORNUCOPIA for those keeping score at home.  God I love that expansion.

My favorite too, but I tend to buy menagerie or remake much more often than I should…
Looking the "% +" column in my councilroom page, the results are :

1 - Island (98,3)
2 - Fishing village (98,0)
3 - Grand market (94,2  ::) )
4 - Caravan (93,5)
5 - Tournament (93,0)
6 - Silver  :o (92,1)

After come Farming village (!), City (!), Goons, Tactician, Hamlet, Border village…

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 01:15:28 pm »

Goons, Goons, Goons!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 01:29:00 pm »

I'm surprised no one put more cursing attacks besides mountebank. If there was a sea hag out, I'd take it.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 02:42:43 pm »

For me, Cursing attacks cease to be a must have if Masquerade or Ambassador are on board, in which case I'll open with two of those and hope to be cursed.

As for Goons, if theres no + multiple action, Hunting Parties and another terminal I want more, I'll sometimes let them be. Sometimes.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 02:43:16 pm »

Fun times.

I always wonder how much my stats are skewed by my early games. There are cards which I know I currently buy very little but which show up as higher percentages due to my early career games. I do have an alt, but I don't play it quite seriously so those stats arent really accurate either, but they might be better.

Kore

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 02:45:40 pm »

I buy king's court and chapel more than I buy silver. In fact, I can rarely see a point in not buying chapel. I'm not as enthusiastic about chapel as I used to be and there are certainly situations where I won't buy it but those situations are rarer than you would think. I've learned to see chapel as an enabler for other strategies rather than a strategy in of itself and there's usually something out there that benefits from chapel.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2012, 04:27:30 pm »
+1

Fun times.

I always wonder how much my stats are skewed by my early games. There are cards which I know I currently buy very little but which show up as higher percentages due to my early career games. I do have an alt, but I don't play it quite seriously so those stats arent really accurate either, but they might be better.
Yeah it would be nice if there was like a... Last 30 days sorter? or something of that nature because I have definitely changed (ie. I don't buy scout 60% of the time... thank you forums). 

Duchess Ninja

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 05:35:10 pm »

Familiar. Looks so cheap for such awesomeness.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 03:44:36 am »

I buy king's court and chapel more than I buy silver. In fact, I can rarely see a point in not buying chapel. I'm not as enthusiastic about chapel as I used to be and there are certainly situations where I won't buy it but those situations are rarer than you would think. I've learned to see chapel as an enabler for other strategies rather than a strategy in of itself and there's usually something out there that benefits from chapel.

King's Court to me can often seem a trap when you're at $8+. The way I see it, there has to be a card that is worth playing three times that is likely to collide with King's Court, and that has to be worth delaying a Province for.

For example, on a Mountebank board, I'd often spend that $8 on Province instead. Sure, King's Court-Mountebank is powerful, but more likely the two cards will miss each other in an increasingly diluted deck, and there's a good chance only one to three Provinces will be bought the whole game, so I can't risk passing up the Province.

As another example, there might be a province board with lots of strong non terminal drawing (Stables, Laboratory, etc.), but with no strong terminals and with no +buy. On that board, King's Court is kind of a waste, as at best its going to enable $8+ later. Gold will give as much chance of hitting $8, and a Province whenever possible is going to be best. In that circumstance I might not pick up a single King's Court.

As for Chapel, I probably leave it behind more than most, as I'm a big user of Big Money + 2 terminal draw strategies, which tend to be slowed by Chapels. Also I tend to like Mint as a fast trasher in some decks, as unlike Chapel it stays useful in the mid to late game. In other words, if the dominant strategy looks to be money based rather than engine based, I'll pass on Chapel.

Not to say both Chapel and King's Court aren't strong cards, but I think to say that they're ALWAYS worth taking is untrue.

Familiar. Looks so cheap for such awesomeness.

Now this one is far from a must have. The problem here is Potion. Potion can mess up so many hands that might otherwise have been strong.

As a rule of thumb, if there's another curser on table, i'll ignore Familiar. I'd rather climb for $5 and get Mountebank or Witch, or pass up the potion and get a Sea Hag.

Re: suggestions in general, I think you'd have to ask yourself another question: If this card had been Embargoed, would I still pick it up?

Or for something like Familiar, if the potion gets embargoed, would you still buy the potion to go for Familiar?

If the answer is no, then you wouldn't be buying this card every time its available
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.559 seconds with 21 queries.