Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40  All

Author Topic: Newbie Mafia 13: Adventure Time Mafia (Game over, Scum wins)  (Read 112746 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Newbie Mafia 13: Adventure Time Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #175 on: September 06, 2018, 07:57:48 am »

actually up to 4 places down from themselves. Say, doctors are 1 and 6, then 1 can heal 2,3,4,5 and 6 can heal 7,8,9,10. In no way doctors will choose each other

I like this plan.

Awaclus, how does this plan fit with your playstyle of denying scum as much information as possible?

It doesn't really give scum any information because doctors aren't obliged to follow it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 06, 2018, 08:25:33 am »

in case of Eddie it is a gut feel and not liking lying town in any way, WCD seems much more enthusiastical than I remember her to be and also she asked for a coach. Chairs is scummy for putting Awaclus on L-1 and disappearing. Also Raptor is lurking and this is his scum meta iirc

I am basically -always- going to disappear after I post, as my most-available times to post are right before bed and right before I leave for work. Case in point, I'm responding to what's happened while I was sleeping and will subsequently not be on for a big chunk of time. One of the reasons I play Mafia on f.ds is due to the longer cycles leading to my availability being less of an issue, and if you don't remember times when I've still been prodded / replaced for inactivity issues then we haven't played together enough.

I firmly believe putting Awaclus on L-1 was the right move and I suspect Awaclus would agree with me, actually - a big issue on D1 is generating meaningful interactions. We have 5 IRL days left of D1, and LOOK HOW MUCH CONTENT just got generated over that! We also didn't see a hammer, which if anybody other than you had posted before you did, would have made them feel Towny to me. The fact that you think putting someone at L-1 is scummy, however, makes me consider your response neutral (not scummy - I can see why you particularly, given your meta on this forum, would have felt like this was scummy, but you did just ruin a great opportunity for a newbie scum to stumble into an early hammer).

vote: uncleeurope for basically the same reason LaLight voted for him - not a fan of the not-Doctor claim, as much as I wouldn't be a fan of a Doctor claim here.

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 06, 2018, 08:26:49 am »

I'm in Europe as well; however I'm somewhat LA today and tomorrow since I'm at a conference.

Quick thoughts: I don't think chairs putting Awaclus at L-1 is scummy. He was very upfront about it, and it led to someone having to defend themself for the first time this game. I'm still not really happy with Awaclus' reasoning; it seems more incoherent than I'd expect.

PPE 1
I have sigs off.

hypercube

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 06, 2018, 08:31:54 am »

I am torn between thinking chairs is 100% scum, WCD is 100% scum and Eddie is 100% scum.

This seems ... contrived.
I have sigs off.

hypercube

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 06, 2018, 08:34:30 am »

It's strange to me that you could scumread everyone at a point in the game where a lot of players haven't really interacted yet.
I have sigs off.

hypercube

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 06, 2018, 08:37:53 am »

Re: Eddie claiming not-Doctor, I can't see how that would be a rational move for scum!Eddie. Of course it's possible he made a mistake, but it doesn't strike me as a nefarious plot.
I have sigs off.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 06, 2018, 08:41:00 am »

I added "fang" and "infang" to infangthief's list of nicknames. They will be recognized abbreviations for future vote counts.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 06, 2018, 08:53:23 am »

It's strange to me that you could scumread everyone at a point in the game where a lot of players haven't really interacted yet.

Oh I love jumping to early conclusions. In many games I felt like there is an obvious scum team (and i was right quite several times) and then they get slipped away by a lot of posting and I never am able to convince anyone. What I'm trying to say is I firmly believe my initial reads unless proven wrong, because I think scum needs time to adjust to a game, so in the beginning they are always scummier than in the end.

About Eddie's claim, for me it worked that way: I didin't want to counterclaim anyone in a game ever and all I wanted was to seem VT so when anyone (Awaclus I believe) thought I was vigilante, I quickly said oh no I am not. So yeah, self-preservation.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2018, 08:55:52 am »

in case of Eddie it is a gut feel and not liking lying town in any way, WCD seems much more enthusiastical than I remember her to be and also she asked for a coach. Chairs is scummy for putting Awaclus on L-1 and disappearing. Also Raptor is lurking and this is his scum meta iirc

I am basically -always- going to disappear after I post, as my most-available times to post are right before bed and right before I leave for work. Case in point, I'm responding to what's happened while I was sleeping and will subsequently not be on for a big chunk of time. One of the reasons I play Mafia on f.ds is due to the longer cycles leading to my availability being less of an issue, and if you don't remember times when I've still been prodded / replaced for inactivity issues then we haven't played together enough.

I firmly believe putting Awaclus on L-1 was the right move and I suspect Awaclus would agree with me, actually - a big issue on D1 is generating meaningful interactions. We have 5 IRL days left of D1, and LOOK HOW MUCH CONTENT just got generated over that! We also didn't see a hammer, which if anybody other than you had posted before you did, would have made them feel Towny to me. The fact that you think putting someone at L-1 is scummy, however, makes me consider your response neutral (not scummy - I can see why you particularly, given your meta on this forum, would have felt like this was scummy, but you did just ruin a great opportunity for a newbie scum to stumble into an early hammer).

vote: uncleeurope for basically the same reason LaLight voted for him - not a fan of the not-Doctor claim, as much as I wouldn't be a fan of a Doctor claim here.

I am sincerely sorry, I know about your general availability. It is just putting people to L-1 is really dangerous. I don't know what good would derphammer of a newbie bring. I mean it worked in NM12, but it is not that guaranteed that both lynchee and hammerer are not town. I actually think we need to be more careful concerning this

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 06, 2018, 08:57:05 am »

I am sincerely sorry, I know about your general availability. It is just putting people to L-1 is really dangerous. I don't know what good would derphammer of a newbie bring. I mean it worked in NM12, but it is not that guaranteed that both lynchee and hammerer are not town. I actually think we need to be more careful concerning this

WCD early hammered on D1 of NM12 and she was town. I know, this is a little different as practically everyone scumread Simon Jester back then, but still

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2018, 08:58:04 am »

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2018, 08:59:00 am »

other than that Eddie just becomes scummier

hypercube

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2018, 09:03:38 am »

Oh I love jumping to early conclusions. In many games I felt like there is an obvious scum team (and i was right quite several times) and then they get slipped away by a lot of posting and I never am able to convince anyone. What I'm trying to say is I firmly believe my initial reads unless proven wrong, because I think scum needs time to adjust to a game, so in the beginning they are always scummier than in the end.

I don't think there's anything wrong with jumping to conclusions early, but to me your posts indicated indecisiveness, and also a  feeling that you were obligated to be decisive.
I have sigs off.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2018, 09:04:31 am »

I don't think there's anything wrong with jumping to conclusions early, but to me your posts indicated indecisiveness, and also a  feeling that you were obligated to be decisive.

obligated? By who?

hypercube

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 06, 2018, 09:05:14 am »

WCD early hammered on D1 of NM12 and she was town. I know, this is a little different as practically everyone scumread Simon Jester back then, but still

That wasn't an early hammer really, it was < 8 hours before deadline iirc.
I have sigs off.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 06, 2018, 09:06:12 am »

well, it was sudden

hypercube

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 06, 2018, 09:07:27 am »

Quote from: LaLight link=topic=18930.msg768288#msg768288 date=153623907
obligated? By who?
[/quote

It seemed to me that you felt obligated (by a need to seem townie perhaps?).
I have sigs off.

hypercube

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 06, 2018, 09:08:47 am »

Fixed quote fail

obligated? By who?

I have sigs off.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 06, 2018, 09:11:33 am »

Fixed quote fail

obligated? By who?

I just like to express early reads and interact with as much people as possible :)

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 06, 2018, 09:15:27 am »

Re: Eddie claiming not-Doctor, I can't see how that would be a rational move for scum!Eddie. Of course it's possible he made a mistake, but it doesn't strike me as a nefarious plot.

Yeah, I dunno why a scum would want to abandon the possibility of a future claim that could save his life late game, especially with 2 doctors in this set that helped with counterclaims.

Is it a bad town move? Sure, but a scum move? I feel like you would have to be super passive to make a play like that, and it’s a bad scum move.

Also, what’s this about official nicknames? That’s hilarious, but does seem to be a necessity for this kind of game.
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 06, 2018, 09:16:26 am »

Quick thoughts: I don't think chairs putting Awaclus at L-1 is scummy. He was very upfront about it, and it led to someone having to defend themself for the first time this game. I'm still not really happy with Awaclus' reasoning; it seems more incoherent than I'd expect.
Interestingly Awaclus did not make a single post during the time he was at L-1. What defence are you referring to?

I do kind of regret suggesting that Uncleeurope and Hydrad justify or else remove their votes. I was genuinely a bit shocked to encounter an L-1 when I woke up on only my second (real-life) day of forum mafia. Especially as my initial thoughts when reading Hydrad's/LaLight's doctor plan were the same as Hydrad, LaLight, Awaclus and WestCoast. It did seem genius. (It was only while doing some calculations in the shower that I concluded it was a bad plan.)

Unfortunately the only content generated while Awaclus was at L-1 was a lot of posts by LaLight and myself, and then Uncleeurope unvoting. Would have been interesting to hear from more people.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #196 on: September 06, 2018, 09:23:19 am »

I firmly believe putting Awaclus on L-1 was the right move and I suspect Awaclus would agree with me, actually

Sure. Derphammers happen but they didn't this time, so it was fine.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 06, 2018, 09:25:14 am »

well, it was sudden

It was 5 hours before the deadline, and the deadline was going to be at 4 am Central Time, so I couldn't hang around.  In that moment, if I had voted for Phy, Simon (scum) would have hammered him.  Or I could hammer Simon. Or not vote, I guess....and hoped that the people on Phy (who had claimed a PR) would be awake to hammer Simon in the morning. It was way past my bedtime and I wanted to do right by the town. It didn't feel early to me!  But then again, it was my first game ever.
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #198 on: September 06, 2018, 09:28:01 am »

Interestingly Awaclus did not make a single post during the time he was at L-1.

Not very interestingly. I went to sleep before chairs voted me and didn't wake up until after Uncleeurope unvoted.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 06, 2018, 09:31:44 am »

I can't say that I have much of a read on Awaclus at all. Mostly because of the non-response to L-1. It seems like some of the folks are relying on his playstyle, which he says is super laid back. So, it makes it even harder to get a read.

Thinking over plans and asking about them in a game with newcomers isn't scummy, its learning. When we played last, there was a lot more overt teaching from some of the vets. That is not happening here (which is fine) but our relative newness does mean that posts like Swan's and Hydrad's are super helpful for thinking about how a particular plan may actually play out. So I am reading all that as neutral.

My townie thoughts right now are Eddie, Fang, LL, and Hydrad.
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40  All

Page created in 2.279 seconds with 20 queries.