Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rock - Scissors - Paper  (Read 2874 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Rock - Scissors - Paper
« on: March 02, 2012, 03:37:22 pm »

So I was bored, so came up with this after reading some of the Rock/POaper/Scissor comments on another thread

Rock - $3
Action - Attack - Reaction
+$1
Each other player discards a treasure card from thier hand (Or shows a hand with no treasure)
-------

Reaction: If a player plays a Scissors card you may reveal this and you are unaffected by the attack

Scissors - $3
+2 Cards
Look at the top two cards of each other players deck, you may discard any of these cards or put them back in any order
------

Reaction: If a player plays a Paper card you may reveal this and you are unaffected by the attack

Paper
+2 Actions
Each opponent gains an Estate
-----

Reaction: If a player plays a Rock card you may reveal this and you are unaffected by the attack

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Rock - Scissors - Paper
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:56:18 pm »

Kind of fun in that they interact with each other.  I would add a Setup rule similar to Young Witch -- if any one of these three is in the Kingdom, add the other two as well.

I think it would be more interesting if the card effects themselves countered each other, rather than just adding in a Reaction that negates something else.  The other thing is, although you have the defenses in place (Scissors doesn't effect Rock), you don't have it going the other way around (Rock is superior to Paper).

On the specific effects themselves...

Rock: Very similar to Cutpurse.  Despite costing less, it's almost strictly superior in that opponents must discard a treasure card, not just Copper.  "Discard a treasure" remains a decent attack even into the late game, whereas Cutpurse falls off.

The fact that Cutpurse grants an extra $1 means that Rock is not strictly superior, but I think it's still stronger overall.

Scissors: Very similar to Oracle.  Aside from the Reaction, the main difference is that Oracle lets you adjust your own deck and Scissors gives you the power to rearrange the cards, not your opponent.  So, not strictly superior again, and I wouldn't say it's stronger overall either -- it would depend on whether there are Kingdom cards that effect the top cards of opponents' decks, like Swindler or Tribute.

Paper: This is way more fun as an attack... Estates would run out so quickly.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:59:42 pm »

You've obviously thought about this waaay more than I have!

Hmm, good point about them not being the other way round, will have another go!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 04:08:24 pm »

You've obviously thought about this waaay more than I have!

Hmm, good point about them not being the other way round, will have another go!

Well, it is an interesting concept. :)

Might be neat if the names were more Dominion-esque as well, e.g. Rubble, Shears, Parchment.

Having the strength/weakness go both ways seems really difficult to pull off, but it would be amazing if it worked.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 04:13:10 pm »

"I think it would be more interesting if the card effects themselves countered each other, rather than just adding in a Reaction that negates something else.  The other thing is, although you have the defenses in place (Scissors doesn't effect Rock), you don't have it going the other way around (Rock is superior to Paper)."

This is the whole point of Rock Paper Scissors though, it beats one but not the other. Rock isn't superior to paper you see, it loses to paper. Tried again bigging up the weak points.

Rock - $3
Treasure - Attack - Reaction
+2$
You may trash a card from your hand, if you do each opponent gains an Estate
-------

Reaction: If a player plays a Scissors card you may reveal this and you are unaffected by the attack

Scissors - $3
Look at each opponents hand. If an opponent has a Victory card they gain a curse
------

Reaction: If a player plays a Paper card you may reveal this and you are unaffected by the attack

Paper $3

Action - Attack - Victory - Reaction
+1 VP
Each other player discards a treasure card from thier hand (Or shows a hand with no treasure

-----

Reaction: If a player plays a Rock card you may reveal this and you are unaffected by the attack

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 04:16:44 pm »

Had another go at making it go each way.

Rock protects from Scissors, and also you can trash the curses it gives you, but it loses to Paper's discard treasure effect.

Scissors protects from paper and is more likely to hit Paper because its a victory card, and its curse giving powers up Rocks attack

Paper protects from Rock and also has a chance to discard Rocks. But the curse from Scissors will counter out its victory and make it more likely to get one (as its a victory card)

None of them are supposed to really be overpowering, just flavoursome.

So in theory, if I just bought Rocks and you just bought Paper, you would win. If I went for Scissors though, I would win.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 04:29:49 pm »

"I think it would be more interesting if the card effects themselves countered each other, rather than just adding in a Reaction that negates something else.  The other thing is, although you have the defenses in place (Scissors doesn't effect Rock), you don't have it going the other way around (Rock is superior to Paper)."

This is the whole point of Rock Paper Scissors though, it beats one but not the other. Rock isn't superior to paper you see, it loses to paper. Tried again bigging up the weak points.

Whoops, I meant that Paper is superior to Rock.  That is, A is weak to B but B is strong against A.  So instead of just negating an effect, it should actually have a clear strength over it, rather than just being a very specific Moat.  Not sure if I'm being clear enough here... it makes sense in my head. :D

I'd still prefer it if cards worked against each other without using Reactions.

For example:

Rock: You may trash a card from your hand.  If you do, each opponent gains an Estate.
Scissors: Each other gains a curse in hand (or reveals a hand with no Victory cards).

Even without the Reactions, Rock is superior to Scissors here.  Rock would not mind taking the Curse to fuel the attack (unless he has something else he'd rather trash, I suppose).

This could probably be done better though.

Had another go at making it go each way.

Rock protects from Scissors, and also you can trash the curses it gives you, but it loses to Paper's discard treasure effect.

Scissors protects from paper and is more likely to hit Paper because its a victory card, and its curse giving powers up Rocks attack

Paper protects from Rock and also has a chance to discard Rocks. But the curse from Scissors will counter out its victory and make it more likely to get one (as its a victory card)

None of them are supposed to really be overpowering, just flavoursome.

So in theory, if I just bought Rocks and you just bought Paper, you would win. If I went for Scissors though, I would win.

I was wondering why you put such weird types on the cards, but this is a good explanation.  I like it... except Paper being an Action-Attack-Victory-Reaction is a little, erm, overwhelming.  :P

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 04:33:27 pm »

I was wondering why you put such weird types on the cards, but this is a good explanation.  I like it... except Paper being an Action-Attack-Victory-Reaction is a little, erm, overwhelming.  :P

Yeah, probably could be neater, but then its not as if they are real cards!

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.724 seconds with 20 queries.