Miscellaneous > Other Games

Codenames etiquette

<< < (2/3) > >>

Kuildeous:
Nice segue.

Hmm, it occurs to me that I haven't updated the list of words since I created that randomizer. Is that still being used?

If it is, I really should see if I can get an updated list of words to add to the randomizer. Though I guess it doesn't technically have to be from the Codenames list.

GendoIkari:

--- Quote from: Watno on July 02, 2018, 03:19:41 pm ---
--- Quote from: GendoIkari on July 02, 2018, 02:41:51 pm ---But then I double checked the Codenames rulebook, and... it seems that those people are technically correct.

--- Quote ---If a spymaster gives an invalid clue, the
team's turn ends immediately. As an additional
penalty, the other team's spymaster may cover
one of his or her words with an agent card
before giving the next clue.

But if no one notices that a clue is invalid, it
counts as valid.
--- End quote ---

So they are playing within the rules when they try to give an invalid clue... if it were completely outside of the rules, then you wouldn't have a penalty for it; games don't generally need to give rules for what to do when you don't do what the rules tell you to do.

--- End quote ---

Well more technically, they are allowed to give an invalid clue intentionally, but then their turn immedaitely ends. The part where "no one notices" clearly doesn't apply.

Btw, i guess this is a good place to mention that we're looking for one more to continue PBF codenames: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14888.msg759980#msg759980

--- End quote ---

Oh dang, yeah. It doesn't say "if the other team doesn't notice." It says "if no one notices".

I revert my previous answer back to "it's clearly against the rules". They noticed that they were giving an invalid clue, so therefore "if no one notices" isn't what happened. If they noticed, and they didn't say anything, then they cheated.

sitnaltax:
In the Codenames games I've played, the opposing spymasters often have a sense of shared suffering, since the position is pretty stressful. Therefore, we've been pretty good about getting permission from the opposing spymaster before giving optional-rule or gray-area clues (word meanings, short phrases, etc.).

popsofctown:
One weird thing about the rules is that you might accidentally give a clue that contains a word included in a bystander, and according to the rules that's an invalid clue.  But you're unlikely to track the bystanders that carefully.

GendoIkari:

--- Quote from: popsofctown on July 06, 2018, 01:23:27 am ---One weird thing about the rules is that you might accidentally give a clue that contains a word included in a bystander, and according to the rules that's an invalid clue.  But you're unlikely to track the bystanders that carefully.

--- End quote ---

I haven’t seen this issue. Usually at least one player will notice the problem immediately. The code givers generally need to care about all words that aren’t their own color. And the guessers definitely are looking at all words equally.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version