Miscellaneous > Other Games

Codenames etiquette

<< < (3/3)

AJD:

--- Quote from: Kuildeous on July 02, 2018, 02:57:45 pm ---The discussion that prompted this was someone was asking if it was legal to say THINK, 4 as a clue to encourage the team to think back on the last 4 clues (or words or whatever he was trying to do; it was a really bad and awkward clue anyway). So very much an invalid clue since the spymaster was intending to convey a meaning not related directly to the words.

But how would the other team know? Say he was saying THNK, 2. Then I challenge it because he's not referring to the words. Only he is because he wanted to have the team guess GROUP and IDIOM. He has to explain that for me to be satisfied and now the game is at a weird state. Some of these clues might not get caught as invalid until later.

--- End quote ---

Yeah and you can always say, hey, I wasn't using LOVE as a clue for GLOVE because it rhymes, I was using it because... I really like gloves. Or, I wasn't cluing GLOVE, I was cluing some other word, and it's just by coincidence that my team guessed GLOVE which also happens to be one of our correct words. This seems to make "don't use invalid clues" formally unenforceable if someone really wanted to break the rule.

ipofanes:
That's why the thread title reads "Codenames etiquette" instead of "The Laws of Codenames".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version