Dominion > Dominion Articles

Contraband

<< < (2/5) > >>

Chappy7:
I know you said you don't want to include edge cases, but there are a few really big ones when it comes to Contraband.  Colony/Platinum (As mentioned), Border Village, and Dominate being in the kingdom often make Contraband worth it. 

It is also better when there are very expensive and good cards like Overlord, City Quarter, Fortune, Kings Court, etc.  When you reach those high price points (or even when the opponent thinks you will) they are forced into letting you have the expensive card or two good cheaper cards of your choice. 

LastFootnote:
I think Contraband can be fine in the late-game if there are multiple good sources of VP. I played a Duke game recently where Contraband seemed fine. They couldn't block both Province and Duchy/Duke, and my deck could accommodate both. Feodum seems like another good example of Contraband being fine late-game.

Dingan:

--- Quote from: Screwyioux on June 15, 2018, 09:43:00 am ---It’s also worth noting the advantage you have by giving your opponent as little information about your hand as possible. This means you normally play it as your first treasure, and that it’s weaker when you need to reveal cards from your hand mid-turn, like with Menagerie or Legionary.

--- End quote ---

If you accidentally play your other treasures before Contraband, just undo :P

Contraband is interesting with Storyteller. It's gotta be a lot more difficult for your opponent to figure out what you want to buy --  or even will be able to buy --  if you play the Contraband not during your buy phase.

I feel Keep deserves a mention. I recently played a game where for the first time ever I saw the Contraband pile run out. It was the only source of +buy, so they could be used to pick up multiple treasures at once. Needless to say there were a LOT of Keep points being traded in that game.

crj:
Other points which occur to me:

Contraband interacts especially badly with virtual coin, because you have to reveal this turn's spending level before something is banned. If your spend comes from treasures it's harder for opponent to guess.

Contraband is better when there's trash-for-benefit. I've found it can be fine as an affordable early accelerator for picking up engine components, if it can be turned into something with fewer limitations before the endgame.

Screwyioux:

--- Quote from: crj on June 15, 2018, 12:47:13 pm ---Other points which occur to me:

Contraband interacts especially badly with virtual coin, because you have to reveal this turn's spending level before something is banned. If your spend comes from treasures it's harder for opponent to guess.

Contraband is better when there's trash-for-benefit. I've found it can be fine as an affordable early accelerator for picking up engine components, if it can be turned into something with fewer limitations before the endgame.

--- End quote ---

You know, I actually had that second point in the article originally, but I took it out because someone pointed out that almost everything synergizes with TfB in the way Contraband does.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version