Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Confusing Kingdom...  (Read 1882 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Confusing Kingdom...
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:57:03 am »

Ran into this on Androminion and did not really know what to do:

Cellar (Bane), Haven, Young Witch, Silk Road, Duke, Hunting Party, Wharf, Vault, Tactician, Border Village, Expand

with Colony and Platinum

With both Cellar and Vault on the board, neither curses nor excessive greening should hurt that much.  Cellar being the bane card is an added bonus.  Is it even worth it to pick up Young Witch?

The board just makes me want to rush Silk Road with Duchy and Duke... but I have no idea if that's a good move.  And then, I'm not sure of proper support... Vault looks good, but Wharf is tempting too.  Maybe there's something that can be done with Tactician, or double-Tactician?  Would Border Village be a better buy over Gold?

This kingdom leaves me so confused.  Against the Androminion AI there's no problem, but against another person... dunno.  Insights?

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
Re: Confusing Kingdom...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 02:47:50 am »

There is no easy way to trash the curses, so Young Witch should still be a good idea.

After that it can be a bit tricky...

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 02:50:25 am »

I would make Colony my main objective.  The other VP may play a role but Colony is probably more important if you can keep it together long enough.

Looking at the kingdom I like a deck with Hunting Party and Expand.  Expanding the three Estates into Hunting Parties is a very strong move if you can get lucky enough to get a timely Expand.  I could see this as being the fastest strat or falling flat on it's face. The main issue with this would be Young Witch, and whether or not a HP engine can overcome the Curses.  A safer bet may be an engine built on Border Village, Wharf, Young Witch, Cellar and perhaps even Vault.  It would certainly be a slog but it would be able to buy Colonies and contest the Curses.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:20:36 am »

So would it be better to pick up Young Witch and curse as well while building up for Colonies, or should you ignore Young Witch and just try to power through into Colonies as quickly as possible?

If you hit $6, do you take the gold or BV + something?

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 06:34:54 am »

That IS an interesting set. My instinct would be to go to acquire a single Vault, and then Hunting Parties all the way to Colonies with a detour only for 1 Platinum and 1-2 Golds. With those treasure in hand, and $5-11 hand would go for another Hunting Party, and anything less than $4 would be dropped (though obviously some early silver would be necessary to get Vault).

The idea being that Hunting Parties would skip the crappy stuff, and Vault would up the efficiency and emerge consistently thanks to Hunting Parties.

I'd ignore Border Village altogether myself. Border Village / Wharf is always tempting, but in my experience lacks the time to get money as well as engine.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:36:57 am by Asklepios »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 08:04:05 am »

I'd suggest young witch/silver moving onto hunting parties and assessing the game from there. It worsens a number of strategies and variations for the opponent, mainly border villages. If you can split the hunting parties without curses in your deck then you're probably home and dry. The kingdom could play quite differently across a number of games.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 08:40:48 am »

There are pieces in place for double tactician (vault and +cards) to be effective after you hop over the young witch attack... which isn't easy.  I imagine cellar isn't a horrible card if you do plan to do double tactician and its a mediocre card with HP. 

The obvious danger with vault+X*HP (as with all card drawers paired with HP) are the triggered shuffles.  Using 4-6 HP and then a vault, will leave all of those out of the next shuffle.  Definitely a not a good thing.  Expand is probably the terminal you want if you're going straight HP.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.5 seconds with 21 queries.