Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 50  All

Author Topic: RMM48: Cancer Mafia (Game over)  (Read 121024 times)

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
Re: RMM48: Cancer Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2018, 11:20:04 am »

Presumably, the main things governing whether people want to claim are how much they like solving setups (rather that just trying to catch people out for "sounding scummy"), and how much extra information they feel their role gives them compared to what they think the average role will have.

Scum is clearly at an advantage for the latter point, because they get to know what the roles of themselves and their three buddies are, assuming they're all in a faction QT. Though 4/14 scums seems pretty strong, especially when they can essentially eat the roles of the rest of us, so I wonder whether any of them start out with nerfs. Still, with them able to eat our roles, I don't think letting on the relative strengths of our powers is a good idea even if we have a decent level of protection available to help us keep strong town roles in alive townies' hands, because I don't think faust would design a game that could be easily solved by town just by revealing stuff.

Ok. that makes sense.

Ya I guess I didn't factor in the fact that scum steals the roles they kill this time. But I wouldn't be surprised if even if they didn't steal the roles that we shouldn't claim.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2018, 11:46:33 am »

I’ve fallen behind already, sorry! I should have some time for this later, if boozy brunch doesn’t take me out of commission.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2018, 02:38:37 pm »

I'm off work tomorrow and Monday without any real plans, so I'll be back in the action then.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: IDontPlayThisGame
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2018, 03:17:10 pm »

Presumably, the main things governing whether people want to claim are how much they like solving setups (rather that just trying to catch people out for "sounding scummy"), and how much extra information they feel their role gives them compared to what they think the average role will have.

Scum is clearly at an advantage for the latter point, because they get to know what the roles of themselves and their three buddies are, assuming they're all in a faction QT. Though 4/14 scums seems pretty strong, especially when they can essentially eat the roles of the rest of us, so I wonder whether any of them start out with nerfs. Still, with them able to eat our roles, I don't think letting on the relative strengths of our powers is a good idea even if we have a decent level of protection available to help us keep strong town roles in alive townies' hands, because I don't think faust would design a game that could be easily solved by town just by revealing stuff.

Ok. that makes sense.

Ya I guess I didn't factor in the fact that scum steals the roles they kill this time. But I wouldn't be surprised if even if they didn't steal the roles that we shouldn't claim.

What benefits did you see to the plan that offset scum knowing which PRs to snipe/play around?

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2018, 03:30:43 pm »

vote: hydrad
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2018, 03:38:54 pm »

Ok. that makes sense.

What benefits did you see to the plan that offset scum knowing which PRs to snipe/play around?

Kinda what I said before. The fact that scum probably has scummy roles so they either have to think of a fake claim that sounds believable or claim VT. And I guess I was basing it on my experiences but me personally. I can never think of good fakeclaims at all and when I attempt to fakeclaim it either is seen through right away or I claim VT and people narrow it down to me.

But I'm not sure if thats a common problem for other people or if its just me.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 26, 2018, 03:39:17 pm »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2018, 04:20:36 pm »

Well, we don't have any idea how good massclaim is because we don't know what the setup is, beyond what we know about our own roles. So we can't really make an informed decision. Scum is able to make a slightly more informed decision. That's why I think that if we just decide normally, scum is able to influence that decision, and then we make the decision that's most beneficial for scum, whichever it is. Instead, I think we should just decide it randomly with a 50/50 chance.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2018, 04:24:37 pm »

Well, we don't have any idea how good massclaim is because we don't know what the setup is, beyond what we know about our own roles. So we can't really make an informed decision. Scum is able to make a slightly more informed decision. That's why I think that if we just decide normally, scum is able to influence that decision, and then we make the decision that's most beneficial for scum, whichever it is. Instead, I think we should just decide it randomly with a 50/50 chance.

Can you please point me to a game where a massclaim caught scum?

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2018, 04:25:18 pm »

Can you please point me to a game where a D1 massclaim caught scum?

Fixed a thing

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2018, 04:46:04 pm »

Fixed a thing

Why do you think this game is like other games? The setup is closed and it's an RMM.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2018, 04:50:03 pm »

Fixed a thing

Why do you think this game is like other games? The setup is closed and it's an RMM.

Are you saying this game of mafia is entirely unlike any other game of mafia?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2018, 05:25:19 pm »

Fixed a thing

No, I'm saying that we don't know what it's like.

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2018, 05:27:37 pm »

Fixed a thing

I think we do know what it's like, given that it's labelled RMM instead of M, BM, or Z and the set-up is semiclosed, not closed.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2018, 06:47:47 pm »

Fixed a thing

I think we do know what it's like, given that it's labelled RMM instead of M, BM, or Z and the set-up is semiclosed, not closed.

No, it's closed. Semi means that the mod gives a list of possible roles that the actual setup is randomized from.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2018, 06:49:57 pm »

Eh, I guess faust says it's "semi-closed" in the OP. The actual setup is still pretty much just closed though.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2018, 09:48:31 pm »

Oh hey, I exist.  I should post a vla
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2018, 10:13:25 pm »

Eh, I guess faust says it's "semi-closed" in the OP. The actual setup is still pretty much just closed though.

I agree it is much closer to closed.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 26, 2018, 10:14:44 pm »

vote: hydrad

I can’t decide if this fits your town meta or not.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 26, 2018, 10:41:36 pm »

Vote: gkrieg13

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 26, 2018, 11:05:34 pm »

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 26, 2018, 11:16:39 pm »

Vote: gkrieg13
Based on what?

I don't like the feeling I'm getting from him.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2018, 11:44:57 pm »

Hmm actually I guess its partly to do with how I feel hes been almost keeping most his comments in RVS I guess?

just feels odd.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 27, 2018, 08:50:02 am »

Hmm actually I guess its partly to do with how I feel hes been almost keeping most his comments in RVS I guess?

just feels odd.
You voted him right after he made an on task post.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2018, 10:25:30 am »

Hydrad seems towny. His contemplation reads genuine to me.

Also, I'm back!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 50  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.