Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Native Village 6 card decks  (Read 2313 times)

Chriamon

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Native Village 6 card decks
« on: March 01, 2012, 03:26:11 pm »
+6

Hey all, been a lurker for a while, Not sure if this is where this post would go, but it seemed like the best place to put this. I recently played this combo, it seems really strong (if extremely situational), and in play it was devastating.

Basically, my goal was to create a deck that could guaranteed buy a province each turn and then native village the previous province. The proposed deck was:

Fishing Village, Fishing Village, Mandarin, Native Village, Gold, Province (and I was actually able to play this in a game)

Wherein one of the fishing villages is in play from the previous turn. Basically, get your deck trimmed down to the fishing village x2 Mandarin Native Village <chapel or other trasher>, then play a fishing village, and then next turn, play the other fishing village, mandarin the trasher, native village it and buy a province, and repeat, using native village on the province each turn. Now this is very effective, and very quick, but it is so situational that it is extremely unlikely to have another game with Fishing Village, Native Village, Mandarin, and Chapel/Steward.

So I decided to try this idea using less cards, and what I came up with is a deck of:

2xOasis 2xGold Native Village Province.

This deck would be guaranteed to have one of the oases in hand, which could draw the other, and the same province would be discarded with both oases. This seems much more practical (although i haven't used it in a game), it only requires a trasher, native village, and oasis, but it would be slower as it requires 2 gold.

I was wondering if anyone else has come up with something similar using native village (A deck that only gets to 5 and grabs duchies sounds plausible, and if an alternate victory card is on the board this seems like it would be really strong).

Obviously this deck would have the same weakness as all the other small decks, cursing attacks and discarding attacks and masquerade would destroy this, but I was wondering what anyone else has come up with using native village in a small deck, and also some stronger player's opinions (most of my games are played in person, so I have no idea of my strength relative to the really good players, but from playing on isotropic I know that there are some REALLY good players out there.).

EDIT: also if this is in the wrong place (which now I'm thinking it is) sorry, and please move it to the appropriate forums.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Native Village 6 card decks
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 03:52:33 pm »

I like it! Seems viable. Also easy to extend to colonies; 2x platinum, oasis, nv, colony. Or other variants. :)

There can be many variants, I would guess.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 03:56:49 pm »

Very interesting. Seems a bit more situational then the Golden Deck, but possibly not if you are able to use NV's ability to topdeck before you actually have the 6-card setup.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 04:12:02 pm »

It's a bit more situational. Golden deck is basically the two-card combo of bishop and chapel. This is basically a three card combo of chapel, nv, and a discarder. However, there are other possible discarders to use; but the terminal ones require another village.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 04:42:51 pm »

Well, in theory you could do this without Chapel, but that might be just a tad slow...

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 06:09:01 pm »
+1

I could see this working better with a province gained during is turn as that automatically will be top decked and you won't need to play with a discarder some ideas:

How about NV/silver/silver/gold/upgrade/7 coin card?  Idea being you could play upgrade and turn your forge (expand, etc.) into a province, then mat it with NV. I could see going Chap/Upgrade then getting a two silvers & a second upgrade (or a gold)upgrading to a to gold, then adding in the NV. I don't know if this would be fast enough to pull off with just upgrades/NV as your trashers. This will fail 20% of hands, but can be more reliable with additional cantrips (e.g. replacing a silver with two peddlers is a gimme).

Another option would be NV/expand/festival/gold/duchy. Play would be festival, expand a duchy into a province, NV the new province. Still going to need to some heavy trashing there. You could swap festival for silver/most other villages. Also you could go NV/NV/expand/plat/duchy or more situationally NV/NV/expand/Trade route (needs 5 VP tokens)/duchy.

Another decent option would be something like village/village/remodel/mint/gold/NV where you would village (drawing the other village at worst) -> mint a gold -> village (drawing the 2nd gold) -> remodel (gold to province) -> NV (province goes to the mat).

A strong option would be governor/governor/gold/NV. You could remodel the gold to a province, NV the province, and then governor for another gold. This could also be built out to 5x governor (once for cards, 2 times for gold and 2 times to remodel to provinces) and 2x NV (to mat the provinces). Alternatively you could go for governor/gold/gold/gold/NV and just remodel to a gold & buy a gold. If other players start governoring you may eventually need to play governor (silver to governor) -> governor (cards) -> governor (gold to province) -> NV. This allows you to then get a gold, draw it, and then remodel all in one go the next turn; from here on out you can keep stockpiling governors until the pile runs out if you are getting flooded with silver.

The problems I see with NV one hand decks in general is that NV is not a reliable fast trasher on its own. Sure you can dump everything onto the mat, but eventually you are going to start putting key cards onto the mat. With bishop decks the bishop(s) can eat away at the deck at a pretty good pace - particularly if there are multiple bishops in the game.

But even if we ignore the problem of how do I get this lean deck we still run into problems here. Most discarders don't let you get rid of just one card, I believe the full list is: cellar, hamlet, courtyard, secret chamber, vault, mandarin and oasis. So now we have 5 cards starting out our hand. So now we face a few choices if our discarder doesn't come with a +action (everything but cellar, oasis, hamlet), then we can either play with a 5 card deck & use 2 NV slots or we need a second type of village.

So let's say we take option one - use 2 NV & any discarder that isn't +action. Okay, this means we have 3 of 5 cards taken up with NV/NV/province. Taking the best of those that leaves us with mandarin. So we have 4 cards taken and only 3 coin. You could use a plat to go NV -> mandarin -> NV but otherwise this line is dead.

Option two allows to choose from cellar, oasis and hamlet. Of these oasis is the best, but you need to have 2 golds to go with 2 of them. Hamlet would give you 5 other cards to use (3 not counting province and NV) and one of those would need to be a cantrip (in order to be sure of hitting hamlet); you might be able to get around 2 gold here, but I don't really see how (TR/trade route might be able to do it on a rare number of boards). Cellar leaves with 2 cards to hit 8 coin; almost undoable.

Moving on to remodel type decks gives us a lot more options. There are more cards here that are cantrip type and also your treasure load is a good bit less. Using an upgrade and hitting 7 with 3 (4 if one is a cantrip) is much easier than hitting 8 with 3.

All in all, it is a nice setup to watch for, but it will never be as common as a golden deck.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.