Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A tale of Bishops, Border Villages, and 30 turns  (Read 1253 times)

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
A tale of Bishops, Border Villages, and 30 turns
« on: February 27, 2012, 08:32:49 pm »
+1

(Playing as No Whammies; I like to alternate Google and Yahoo accounts to see just how good TrueSkill is at rating people but can only list one name in my profile)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/27/game-20120227-171136-83e2f995.html

Bishop, Border Village, Colony, Contraband, Counting House, Courtyard, Cutpurse, Harem, Hoard, Jack of All Trades, Platinum, and Swindler

I decide to go for a Bishop-heavy strategy, aiming for Border Village into Bishop in order to play multiple Bishops in one turn and near the end of the game get even more points for them.  My opponent goes pretty straight up Courtyard-Big Money and ignores Jack.  For some reason I think that I can 3-pile pretty quickly with Border Village, Bishop, and a card to be determined later, but that plan is an utter failure as he has pretty much caught up in green cards to my Bishop VP by turn 17 with his second Colony.  I'm pretty sure I'm pretty screwed over until I realize that I've done such a poor job in trying to end the game, that my opponent going to have a hard time ending it himself.  So I buckle down and keep cranking out VP as much as I can as his deck climbs in points from green cards and inevitably stalls out.  I don't even bother trying to count as I think I'm way behind, but I keep trying to keep the game going as long as possible as my opponent makes weaker and weaker green card buys.  I eventually realize I'm probably in decent shape and pick up a few Provinces and Colonies to come back for a 11 point win.

I'm sure there are lots of things we could have done differently, but I found it quite interesting that while my initial plan was pretty suspect, the extreme terribleness of it allowed me to back-door into a different strategy that actually worked!
Stop reading my signature.

Tahtweasel

• Navigator
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
Re: A tale of Bishops, Border Villages, and 30 turns
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:35:08 pm »

Stalling is a very strong tactic with Bishop or Monument on the board. (Goons so fundamentally changes the game that it's just normal strategy to avoid victory cards when they're on the board.)

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
Re: A tale of Bishops, Border Villages, and 30 turns
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 09:24:01 pm »

I've been on both sides of these games, they are really weird. For instance: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110427-155218-e7a2ea6a.html
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.