Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Howdy and some Help  (Read 1926 times)

Kahlebb

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Howdy and some Help
« on: February 28, 2012, 07:01:13 pm »

Fairly new to this game (at least in its on-line, anything-more-than-the-base-deck form) and have been enjoying (slowly) learning some of the complexities of the game. Just wanted to quickly introduce myself and say thanks for this great site...having the community share their knowledge helps us who are new to a game with a fairly steep learning curve. And it works.

I'll give you an example of how my play has developed since lurking in the forums (I still have a LONG way to go), and use it as an excuse to say "thanks", as well as in the hopes that a few more-experienced critical eyes could observe my play and give me any pointers. The game I'm gonna post was an interesting one, with no traditional +buys (had to use a virtual +buy to build), and with Bishops in the deck (I've never used these especially effectively before). However, the only "notable" part of my play (as I'm sure much of it is still pretty lacking) came as a direct result of reading an article on these forums recently. It was an article dealing with PPR (or is it PRR? I don't even recall what it means, but it definitely cleaned my reckless buy-the-biggest-card endgame up a bit). So in honor of you all making me better, and in the hopes that you have even more advice for me on this game (and in the future), I present to you: my first game-log post. I hope the attachment feature works well. Notice the Province instead of Colony in turn 17, which set me up to use Bishops to close the gap and win-from-behind. Again, nothing special, but a good example of the fact that what you do on these forums is improving others' play. Thanks.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Howdy and some Help
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:32:52 pm »

It's PPR. It stands for Penultimate Province Rule, because it's a rule about when not to buy the penultimate Province. (At least, originally - it extends out to Colonies and, in general, any other pile that would end the game if it ran out)

Also, just a comment about posting game logs - it might be better to just post the link to the CouncilRoom or Isotropic logs, the one you posted via attachment looks like it lost all the colors sometime along the way.

Seems like a reasonable game though. Investing really heavily in early trashing to build up a super-bishop-y game for lots of points. That works.

The other guy looked like he fell into the trap of buying stuff every turn even with $2. I think the Native Villages just got in the way instead of helping.

Kahlebb

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:39:07 pm »

Indeed, and I'll swap to posting links. Though for any future personal archiving of games that I do, how long do games still stay available on each of those sites (I'm not very familiar with Council Room yet)?

And yeah, the game was won more on his mistakes than my prowess, but it was a good example of my improved play (on a number of different levels). Plus, those come-from-behind games are always just especially satisfying (you know, you've been there).

Thanks for the thoughts!

-Kahlebb

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:55:05 pm »

I believe council room games are available forever; isotropic logs are available for a shorter amount of time. As a reader I vastly prefer councilroom logs, since they also show you the status of each supply pile and the current score, which is super useful. The only downside is that councilroom doesn't get the log until the next day, which can be a downer if you just finished a game and want to post a link right away.

I thought your play in that game was pretty solid. I think I might have gone Silver/Silver, especially against a Bishop-ing opponent, and I think your Horn of Plenty buy was a turn too early, but those are pretty minor nitpicks.

Kahlebb

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:03:35 pm »

I thought your play in that game was pretty solid. I think I might have gone Silver/Silver, especially against a Bishop-ing opponent, and I think your Horn of Plenty buy was a turn too early, but those are pretty minor nitpicks.

Cool, thanks for the thoughts. I did feel that my early-game ramp-up was slower than his (and when he got his KC and his Plat before me I thought it might be over)...waiting a turn on the HoP would have helped that ramp-up, too, I imagine, but I figured those virtual buys were my only shot at playing catch-up at all, so I kind of rushed to it. I tend to avoid silver/silver start-ups unless I'm going big money, but I'll consider them as an option more often when it's called for.

Good to know that CouncilRoom logs stick around. I'll adjust to using those, primarily. (Besides, if a game doesn't feel worth posting the NEXT DAY, it probably wasn't worth posting in the first place.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:47:11 pm »

It's more that you often want to write the post right away, while the game is fresh in your mind. Sometimes the next day you won't remember why you bought something early or chose not to trash a copper or whatever.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:55:54 pm »

You can post with the isotropic link and then edit in the CR link later if you want.

Kahlebb

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:11:42 pm »

It's more that you often want to write the post right away, while the game is fresh in your mind. Sometimes the next day you won't remember why you bought something early or chose not to trash a copper or whatever.

I guess this is true. I know it's partly from my lack of experience looking at logs, but I always find it's much harder to get my brain into the motivation of why someone did something or even the "feel" of the game when reading a log. I'm sure this would be the case, even if to a lesser extent, with your own games as well.

And ftl, I'm almost certain I'll never remember to update those posts. So I'll either get in the habit of writing up a post and not actually posting it 'til the following day, or simply assuming that the short-term access of the post on that day is good enough for most of the people that would read that thread. (If someone's VERY desperate (for some reason), then they could look up the game themselves on CR, I suppose).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.599 seconds with 21 queries.