Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Hollow Knight  (Read 9362 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Hollow Knight
« on: March 11, 2018, 11:45:01 pm »

It's a really good game. A cross between a Metroidvania and Dark Souls. It's tough but fair, and the artstyle is just amazing. Of note, around 3 hours in (once you get the first two traversal abilities), the game just completely opens up and lets you go pretty much wherever you want in that massive world.

Anyone else here played it? I just finished everything the game currently has to offer (aside from Path of Pain, which I do not currently intend to do), took me a bit less than 40h, and now I am waiting for the next (and final) free DLC to drop.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Hollow Knight
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 10:51:37 am »

I've heard of it. The art-style actually doesn't really grab me, but man it's getting rave reviews. I'll probably get it when it comes out on Switch this year, assuming the port isn't botched somehow.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 12:20:51 am »

I didn't know there was a version for the Switch coming until after I bought it on Steam and started playing, otherwise I would have waited. Sounds like a good match for the Switch, honestly.

Note that if you are expecting a pure Metroivania, you might be disappointed, there's relatively few traversal skills unlocked throughout the game, and the important ones are unlocked somewhat quickly. Most of the fun is in the exploration, the combat and platforming. And the difficulty, especially in the optional areas, courtesy of some really responsive controls that allow the game to get away with being demanding.

Mostly I just want to discuss the lore now, which, true to its Dark Souls inspiration, is mostly just implied throughout, rarely stated outright. And some parts of it are currently obsessing me. Like, what are the crimes that the Moth tribe/the Seer committed, for which the Seer is still making penance?

And also, want a chance to brag about the fact that I defeated Nightmare King Grimm :p
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 02:38:54 am »
+2

I started playing it a week and a half ago on Switch and I am in love! It is tough, although maximum time i spend trying a single thing was 1,5 hours (those challenges, man!) I think it's the best thing I played for a huge while
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 02:39:58 am »
+2

also, Saving Caterpillars fills me with an enormous amount of happiness. Good to fight depression, I mean it

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 09:59:27 am »
+1

Looking back to my post two years ago. Glad I bought it! The art is actually a great fit for the game.

And man oh man, Hollow Knight is basically the best value in video games. It’s over 60 hours of fantastic platforming game for $15. That’s a ridiculous value. I almost hope they charge more for Silksong. They deserve to be paid well for their work.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 04:07:43 pm »

So after two years, I bought it on the switch and played through it again because of the quarantine. Took a lot less time to complete the game the second time around (25h to do *everything* except godhome and the successive levels of Grey Prince and White defender). Then it took me 13h to complete the first 4 pantheons (no bindings though). The Hall of Gods allow bosses to be harder than in normal gameplay, since you can instantly retry bosses without the bench run. It’s kinda surprising that bosses that used to feel almost impossible to me (NKG, Watcher Knights, Failed Champion...) now feel trivial.

I still don’t think I will do the pantheon of Hallownest, just because of how much of a time commitment it is. Especially if I do bound runs of the other pantheons first...

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 04:38:02 pm »
+2

So, I forgot to mention, I fairly recently finally did mostly everything in this game, including beating the pantheon of the hallownest.  You thought NKG was hard?  Just wait until you fight the Absolute Radiance.  It is insane.

Mostly I just want to discuss the lore now, which, true to its Dark Souls inspiration, is mostly just implied throughout, rarely stated outright. And some parts of it are currently obsessing me. Like, what are the crimes that the Moth tribe/the Seer committed, for which the Seer is still making penance?

I think that it was mainly the fact that the Radiance was the god of the Moth tribe.  The moths probably still worshiped the Radiance and not the Pale King, which he didn't like.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 11:15:03 pm »

I think that it was mainly the fact that the Radiance was the god of the Moth tribe.  The moths probably still worshiped the Radiance and not the Pale King, which he didn't like.

I think, more than not liking it, it's more about their/her worship giving power to the Radiance? I sort of understood it as her saying that if the Moth tribe had truly forgotten the Radiance, she would have disappeared completely.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 12:41:55 am »

I think, more than not liking it, it's more about their/her worship giving power to the Radiance? I sort of understood it as her saying that if the Moth tribe had truly forgotten the Radiance, she would have disappeared completely.

I thought that the Radiance got more power from people forgetting her, because she got mad that she wasn't worshiped as much.  It was as she was being forgotten that the infection started coming in the first place.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 04:41:50 am »

The seer says "None of us can live forever, and so we ask those who survive to remember us. Hold something in your mind and it lives on with you, but forget it and you seal it away forever. That is the only death that matters. [pause] Huh, so they say!"

And just before vanishing, she says "Don't remember us, Wielder. Don't honour us. We do not deserve it... Aahh... I'm sorry... Light... Radiance... I... remember you."

I took this to mean that, while the Radiance infected the dreams of Hallownest's bugs because she was mad about being forgotten, the reason why she was still alive in the first place was because she was never completely forgotten. Because of the seer. I would have taken the first statement as metaphorical, but the way her last words were phrased, I tend to give it more weight.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 05:48:41 pm »
+1

My roommate was letting me play but suddenly moved out and now if I get my own copy I'd have to replay parts hm

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 07:10:23 pm »
+3

My roommate was letting me play but suddenly moved out and now if I get my own copy I'd have to replay parts hm

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 11:21:02 am »
+1

I bought this a while back when it was on sale. Played it for half an hour, didn't like the movement, and stopped playing. Fast forward a year, and I decided to see what all the fuss was about. Despite my previous experience with platforming (Cave Story, Super Meat Boy, Celeste, Dead Cells, Ori) it took me a while to really get into this one, but once I did, I couldn't stop playing. In the past week, I've sunk 40 hours into the game.

Man this game is good. Boss fights are very challenging, but don't feel unfair. The art style is nearly perfect. Unlocking abilities is exciting. Even all the charms feel genuinely useful at some point. No areas feel like they're "one and done," so to speak. there's always another pathway, corridor, or nook to explore after unlocking more skills. I've heard some criticism of the map system, but I think it's brilliant. However, I do wish there was more indication of where to go and when. Some major areas in the game can only be found by hacking at a random wall in some random place. Maybe this is typical of metroidvania - I lack experience in this genre.

I can also tell that the lore in this game goes fairly deep. However, getting it in brief disjointed snippets from NPCs and scribbles in rocks is making me thoroughly confused. Most of the time I have no idea why I'm going to certain places and killing the baddies there. Every once in a while an NPC will give me some vague speech and all I do is sit there and think, "cool story bro, but I have no idea what any of this means." Only after looking at the wiki have I started to piece the story together.

Overall, I'm really looking forward to the sequel (if it ever comes out).

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 11:31:18 am »

Interesting, because I play Dead Cells now and it is a lot harder for me than Hollow Knight ever was. I had almost the same experience of "didn't like the movement and skipped and then returned and loved"

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Your resident lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 11:43:06 am »

Interesting, because I play Dead Cells now and it is a lot harder for me than Hollow Knight ever was. I had almost the same experience of "didn't like the movement and skipped and then returned and loved"

Dead Cells movement definitely took some getting used to, but now it feels so fluid. I think Dead Cells is a big reason why I didn't like Hollow Knight at first. I was so used to rolling through enemies rather than jumping over them.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 05:16:04 pm »

Dead Cells movement definitely took some getting used to, but now it feels so fluid. I think Dead Cells is a big reason why I didn't like Hollow Knight at first. I was so used to rolling through enemies rather than jumping over them.

right, I needed to get used to rolling because jumping not always helps :)

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Your resident lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 01:41:52 pm »
+1

I started the Path of Pain and though it wasn't too bad. Then I got to one specific corridor and now I'm on my 286th death.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 02:29:38 pm »

I just got the most painful flashbacks!

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Your resident lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 02:54:57 pm »

Finally got it on my 343rd try. I don't think I've been through a platforming section that hard since Super Meat Boy.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 02:59:35 pm »

I started the Path of Pain and though it wasn't too bad. Then I got to one specific corridor and now I'm on my 286th death.

Were you just keeping track of this? That would be so demoralizing to me.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Your resident lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2020, 03:21:45 pm »
+1

Were you just keeping track of this? That would be so demoralizing to me.

I was keeping track, just out of curiosity. It only took a couple hours since individual attempts are so short.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2020, 03:39:51 pm »

Finally got it on my 343rd try. I don't think I've been through a platforming section that hard since Super Meat Boy.

yeaaah try Celeste. It's Path of Pain but the whole game

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2020, 03:55:49 pm »

Just bought this recently for Switch; but dunno when I'll actually start it. Haven't actually touched the Switch in a couple months. Lots of movies to watch.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Your resident lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2020, 04:12:37 pm »

yeaaah try Celeste. It's Path of Pain but the whole game

Celeste is great! Your comment reminded me that I was in the middle of the Summit B-side. I've since cleared it with 525 deaths. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 04:18:52 pm by LostPhoenix »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.