Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Your stories of unexpected comebacks  (Read 1151 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Your stories of unexpected comebacks
« on: March 09, 2018, 03:39:08 pm »
+2

Post your stories of unexpected combacks here !
I want to talk about 3 recent games. I can't find the log so I'll explain by memory. In each of those game I felt I had no chance to win :

- Witch game, no trashing. Only village was Native village. There was nothing really exciting on the board. My opponent and I was playing the same strategy, which was basically "witch, native village, and some stuff", and I think part of the stuff was a $5 draw, maybe wild hunt. Anyway our deck weren't great. I think a big money strategy would have worked much better. The biggest difference however in our deck was that my opponent won the curse split 6 to 4 which meant his deck was strictly better than mine.
Then, several turns in a row, I put curses on my native village mat. There were something like 4 curses and few coppers. That was pure luck because there was no way to care about the top of the deck. Suddenly, my deck felt almost thin and I managed to get the last provinces to win by a few points.

- Witch game, no trashing, no villages. That was also a kind of sloggy game, where curses hit hard. There was still black market, so my opponent and I were hoping to get useful cards there. He got Apprentice out of the black market while I was overbuying terminal and was constantly collinding witch and black market. In the beginning I thought playing witch was more important for the curse split. Then I realized my deck was going nowhere and I started to play black market instead, hoping to get a village. Once there was a bazaar, but I didn't have enough money due to my stupid dead terminals.
Then miraculously appeared fishing village. That +2 actions in two consecutive turns came in handy. Playing fishing village only two times in the game allowed me to play consecutively two of my overbought terminals 4 times, to curse him hard and win somehow.

- Knight game, no villages. I was losing the knight battle quite hard, especially because my opponent got dame molly and sir Bailey, which were huge in this no-village game. So he managed to play several knights in a row while I couldn't. He also got Sir Destry.
What my opponent didn't understand however, is that Necromancer is pretty powerful in a knight game. I was rushing necromancers while he was destroying my economy. But at first it didn't work out, he had a huge province lead and my necromancers weren't very useful, I was essentially playing that spy zombie first. I couldn't find his knights and my deck was really weird. Then I had the opportunity to trash necropolis with the apprentice zombie, which gave me the opportunity to get at least one village per turn. With that help I managed to get few of his knights in the trash and my necromancers were going exponentially more powerful.
In the end I completely destroyed his deck, unallowing him to get any more vps.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:40:21 pm by brokoli »

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +149
    • View Profile
Re: Your stories of unexpected comebacks
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 04:40:08 pm »
+4

I was up I think five provinces to nothing against a very highly rated player who had ignored Sauna but contested Avanto. He built the most ludicrous Wild Hunt engine using pretty much every card in the kingdom and lots of finely balanced trashing and gaining each turn. I have never been more pleased to lose.
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 09:26:51 pm »

Played a game a few weeks back (#11770595) with the following things on the board:

encampment
groundskeeper
castles
harem
haunted woods
raze

ferry
battlefield

No +buy, no +actions other than encampment, no other trashers. We both ferried haunted woods and picked up a couple. After some building/trashing, my opponent picked up a couple groundskeepers and started on castles/harems for battlefield points. I decided to buy the encampments one by one before starting on plunders/groundskeepers, though I did stop along the way to pick up small castle.

After the battlefield points ran out and the first 4 castles were bought, my opponent had about a 40 point lead. However, he had a decent number of stop cards and no encampments, so with one haunted woods in play each turn, it was hard for him to buy provinces without my haunted woods making him topdeck them, and with no extra gains, it would take awhile to pile. We both started buying groundskeepers while I picked up some plunder points, and then I eventually played small castle to get opulent and bought sprawling castle, gaining 3 estates with a bunch of groundskeepers in play. This gave me the lead, and I eventually won like 120ish to 80ish in a 30-something turn game.

Perhaps my opponent could have bought provinces and razed them. Maybe buying opulent castle before I had as many groundskeepers would have been enough. We weren't sure. I definitely thought he had the game when he was up 40 points and drawing his deck with enough money to buy province.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1973
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 10:59:48 pm »

I just played a game where I was behind but just barely managed to grab the last 2 Provinces and win by Jestering myself a Gold and then drawing it.

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 11:22:23 pm »

Back in the isotropic days I played a kingdom with Sea Hag. I felt like Sea Hag was a pretty powerful card, and wanted to see if I could get by without using it. Also in the kingdom were Remodel, Expand Forge, and Pearl Diver; I don't remember what else, but I figured that would be a reasonable basis for a risky, and probably really inefficient, strategy - but hey, circuitous paths to occasional victory are fun. Naturally I received all the Curses, but I proceeded to Remodel my Curses into Pearl Divers, crawl my way to 7 for an early Expand Forge, and then got by crunching my 0s, 2s and 4s into Golds and then Provinces. I am not sure if that really counts as a comeback but it felt like an accomplishment.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:15:24 am by Fuu »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.