Dominion > Dominion General Discussion

If you could only have 1 opening

<< < (2/6) > >>

weesh:

--- Quote from: Awaclus on February 14, 2018, 08:51:53 am ---Having access to a 5 on the first two turns isn't usually all that amazing, because then you'll just spend your turns 3 and 4 buying whatever your opponent opened with, your opponent spends their turns 3 and 4 buying whatever you opened with (and possibly an extra Silver or something) and by turn 5 you have the same deck construction anyway except your opponent is probably in a better position because their opening buys were significantly more likely to be trashers.

--- End quote ---

agreed with "usually".  but sometimes it's a big boost. and for the sake of fun with my friends, I'd rather have steady and reliable than for it to feel unfair every time a critical 5 is in the kingdom.

crj:
4/3 is better on some boards. 5/2 is better on others.

So for me the question boils down to: what are the odds that 5/2 will be better on a random board.

And there we hit a problem: what's a "random board"? How are we randomising? I don't think there's a good enough answer to that question.

In the worst-case scenario, we're in a situation like the classic I-cut-you-choose way for two people to share a cake. I decide if I want a 5/2 or a 4/3 opening, then after hearing my choice you construct a kingdom for us to play. :-p

faust:

--- Quote from: crj on February 14, 2018, 10:48:17 am ---And there we hit a problem: what's a "random board"? How are we randomising? I don't think there's a good enough answer to that question.

--- End quote ---
There is, actually. I think it's even in the rulebook.

LastFootnote:

--- Quote from: faust on February 14, 2018, 11:03:31 am ---
--- Quote from: crj on February 14, 2018, 10:48:17 am ---And there we hit a problem: what's a "random board"? How are we randomising? I don't think there's a good enough answer to that question.

--- End quote ---
There is, actually. I think it's even in the rulebook.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it’s “pick cards however you want”.

jonts26:
On the average board 4/3 is better, but when 5/2 is better, it's more likely to be much better. Overall, I'd still probably take 4/3.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version