Dominion > Rules Questions

Enchantress on a Ghosted Enchantress

<< < (3/3)

ConMan:

--- Quote from: William Howard Taft on February 08, 2018, 07:27:47 pm ---
--- Quote from: Donald X. on February 08, 2018, 06:18:19 pm ---The part below the line isn't the "instructions" referred to by Enchantress. There's no more in-depth answer.

--- End quote ---

I meant more why the part below the line doesn't count as instructions. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that I get VP for Groundskeeper despite the attack, but I don't exactly understand why. I'm guessing it's the same reason that Throne Rooms don't affect anything below the line?

--- End quote ---
The above-the-line part is the part that happens when you play the card, and that's what Enchantress affects. Below-the-line stuff is just stuff that happens because the card is in play - if there was an effect that moved cards into play without playing them, then the stuff below the line would still happen, and it's been decided that those effects aren't affected by Enchantress (partially, I suspect, because it's harder to track).

GendoIkari:

--- Quote from: Donald X. on February 08, 2018, 06:18:19 pm ---The part below the line isn't the "instructions" referred to by Enchantress. There's no more in-depth answer.

--- End quote ---

I meant more why the part below the line doesn't count as instructions. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that I get VP for Groundskeeper despite the attack, but I don't exactly understand why. I'm guessing it's the same reason that Throne Rooms don't affect anything below the line?

--- End quote ---

A helpful thing is that Enchantress says "...the first time each other player plays an Action card on their turn..." Key word being "plays". This means that Enchantress affects what happens when you play the card. Stuff above the line is what happens when you play the card. Stuff below the line has nothing to do with playing the card; so they aren't instructions you would follow at that time. That's a natural result of "do A instead of B". "B" only means the things that you would be doing right then.

chipperMDW:

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

It's not that the text below the line doesn't count as instructions. It's that the text below the line represents instructions to be followed at a time other than playing the card. The rulebook for the 2nd edition of the base set clearly says this.

Enchantress talks about doing something else instead of following a card's instructions when the card is played. It says absolutely nothing about following (or not following) instructions on the card in any other situation, so Enchantress doesn't affect the functionality of the other instructions whatsoever.

Jeebus:
You mentioned Throne Room, and you're right. So compare with Throne Rooming a card. When you play Throne Room + Groundskeeper, you only do the play instructions twice, not what's below the line. It's the same with Enchantress. Both Throne Room and Enchantress refers to playing a card.

Also, compare with Watchtower, which also has instructions below the line. These instructions obviously don't happen when you play Throne Room + Watchtower. Similarly, these instructions are not affected by a played Enchantress when you reveal Watchtower. Just another example of how below-the-line instructions have nothing to do with playing the card.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version