Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A Contrast of Styles  (Read 998 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
A Contrast of Styles
« on: February 23, 2012, 01:48:00 pm »

Please post some of your games in which there is an apparent contrast of styles, but yet the game was either pretty close or very interesting (in your opinion of course).

I played this setup today, cards in supply: Bureaucrat, City, Embargo, Ghost Ship, Goons, Potion, Secret Chamber, Torturer, Transmute, Treasury, and Tribute

I just played Big Money with Ghost Ships and my opponent sought out Torturer and Goons. I Embargoed the Cities as soon as I could and this slowed my opponent down a bit as he couldn't play much of his terminals...yet. He bit the bullet and bought some Cities and Goons'd and Tortured me as much as he could while I sent the Flying Dutchman his way as much as I could. It was a very fun and tense interaction.

End result
Davio has 46 points (8 Provinces, a Duchy, 3 Estates, and 8 Curses) and took 31 turns.
SometimesIDoubtYourCommitmentToSparkleMotion has 33 points (20 ▼, 4 Duchies, 3 Estates, and 2 Curses) and took 31 turns.

I had to swallow a lot of Curses either through his Torturer or the double Embargoed Provinces, but I stuck with it and finally grabbed the last one on turn 31. I bought a Duchy, because I was looking if I could 3-pile something while I was ahead (Curses, Embargoes and Duchies/Estates for instance).

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

TheMathProf

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Re: A Contrast of Styles
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 02:01:54 am »

I had a rather interesting game the other day where my opponent bought an early Develop, and used it on Silvers to gain Estates/Silk Roads nearly from the get-go.  Crossroads were also in the kingdom as enablers to help pick up $3 - $4 to buy more Silvers and Silk Roads, and when he played the Develop on a Silver for the first time on Turn 5, it became very apparent that he was going to try to three-pile these three cards (which did end up happening).

As Player 2, I opened Bureaucrat / Chapel, and essentially played BM, using Hoards to help me pick up some Golds, and Festivals for dollars with buys.  I knew that I basically would have to get six Provinces (and roughly balance the Duchies) before he could empty those three piles.  Luckily, even with Developing, it took awhile to do this.

End result
I had 55 points (7 Provinces, 4 Duchies, and an Estate) and took 25 turns.
My opponent had 42 points (8 Silk Roads [18 victory cards] and 10 Estates) and took 25 turns.

There were a couple places where I think I would have played his strategy differently:
  • On turn 3, with $3, he took a Crossroads rather than a Silver and it struck me as early.  You want the Silver for the buying power and/or the developing; he'll have $2 for the Crossroads later.  Or alternatively, it would have been interesting to have had three Develops at one point (he only bought two).  With the number of cards his deck was going to get, I think he could afford the extra terminals, especially with the Crossroads providing +3 Actions the first time around.
  • If he could have ever picked up a Festival (for instance, on turn 8, when he had $5 and opted for a Silk Road instead), he'd likely have been able to buy two of the $2 cards, or conversely, he could Develop it for Silk Road/Hoard.  Hoard would have complemented his strategy when he was buying the victory cards (which he did often) even more than mine.  But I'm thinking he figured he couldn't afford the turn for it.  Given the number of turns where nothing happens (see the next bullet), this might have been short-sighted.
  • There are also a couple of turns where he simply buys nothing (turns 15, 17, 19, 21, and 24), and I would have imagined that this a place where buying Copper (like in a Duke game) would have been the proper buy.  On turn 24, it probably didn't matter, but on turn 15, that Copper would likely have seen some daylight.
  • On Turn 20, I think he should've bought a Duchy with $7 rather than an Estate.  With just the 18 victory cards from Silk Roads/Estates, he only got the Silk Roads to 4 points each; picking up just two Duchies (if he could've gotten there) would've gotten them to 5 each.  Plus on Turn 25, he ends up with a $2 turn where he can't buy anything, because the Estates are gone and the Crossroads empties the third pile while behind.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.