Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Was I lucky or did I pick the right strategy?  (Read 1385 times)

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Was I lucky or did I pick the right strategy?
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:28:45 pm »

I just played http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/21/game-20120221-161718-c8e2aae9.html, a (imo) very interesting game with Ben Warden. I won by a relatively large spread (21), but this is pretty small in the context that A) he was playing mega-turns for 30+ points and B) He had to buy down to prevent me from winning by running provinces/colonies out on two occasions.

He chose to go for a KC-Enabled Scrying pool engine. I honestly didn't really consider the possibility, since nomad camp was the only + buy, but it seems obvious that ignoring it entirely was a mistake. I went BM with one trader, an envoy, and Banks, with a bit of the Cache-Trader trick I like. I thought 79 points in 20 turns seemed on the high end for my strategy.

I don't really know how to do simulations, but I think because of the ridiculous amount of choice needed for Ben's strategy that a simulator would do very, very poorly with his.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: Was I lucky or did I pick the right strategy?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:40:47 pm »

I think your BM deck was a reasonable strategy, though I think the scry engine is a bit stronger here. This is my first attempt at it where I buy out the colonies in 20 turns. Though I think I can speed that up a turn or two.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/21/game-20120221-193735-4316acf5.html

EDIT: Ok here I force a 4/3 split and end colonies in 18 turns.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/21/game-20120221-194559-4262d3d4.html

EDIT 2: Also this is an interesting game because, I'd actually prefer woodcutter to Nomad Camp. One, for the price, and two because since I'm planning on drawing my deck every turn I don't want to topdeck the nomad camp as it makes it less likely that i'll draw a scrying pool to kick things off. Also I really can't buy multiples in a turn.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:53:38 pm by jonts26 »

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:49:21 pm »

Yeah you (O) were kinda both.  You chose a pretty reliable strategy that can likely push the scryer scared, but I think scryer wins a good chunk of the time. 

I liked what Ben did with the trader the first time... getting that many silvers though has to be counterproductive.  Nomad's camp isn't a sexy $2 terminal but it the only one, in a board that draws out your deck in the form of scrying pool and has KCs, its easily better than silvers.  Plus the with silk roads and easily able to buy so many estates, this makes nomad's that much better. 

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 11:57:15 pm »

I'm a bit confused why you prefer Woodcutter here. Is it that you think if it was woodcutter>nomad camp he could have bought a few more late game without risking missing his engine the next turn? Since he was KCing all his Nomad Camp's it didn't seem like he needed +buys that desperately, but I guess if he wanted to go full-on SR and empty estates on a late turn it makes sense.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 12:10:37 am »

I'm a bit confused why you prefer Woodcutter here. Is it that you think if it was woodcutter>nomad camp he could have bought a few more late game without risking missing his engine the next turn? Since he was KCing all his Nomad Camp's it didn't seem like he needed +buys that desperately, but I guess if he wanted to go full-on SR and empty estates on a late turn it makes sense.

After you buy the card woodcutter and nomad camp are exactly the same. The only reason to prefer woodcutter is because the reason you stated. I don't want to topdeck them because whenever I buy one I decrease the chances of drawing a pool next turn. Failure to draw a pool in a turn (after you have a few) is more or less a wasted turn.

Also, the huge number of +buys arent necessary but some source of +buy is or else this engine will be completely useless. But KCing nomad camp is $6 to spend. So that's a lot of money if you can KC 4 or 5 a turn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.442 seconds with 20 queries.