Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New types of action  (Read 3202 times)

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
New types of action
« on: November 24, 2017, 04:15:11 pm »

Yesterday night I had an idea for two new types of (Action) cards.

Action – Instant cards can even be played when you have no remaining actions. But they still consume an action, if you do have actions left!

In contrast to this, there is another a special type of cards, of which you can only play one per turn: Supporter. If you are forced to play a Supporter a second time because to effects like Vassal, Golem, Throne Room or similar, it does nothing, but is treated like it was played and thus counts for Conspirator, Peddler and friends.

What do you think about this? Here are some ideas:

Farmstead
Types: Action – Victory – Instant
Cost: $3
+2 Actions

1 VP

Tout
Types: Action – Instant
Cost: $4
Look at the top two cards of your deck. Put one of the revealed cards into your hand. Discard the other card.
+1 Buy

Auctioneer
Types: Action – Reaction – Instant
Cost: $2
+1 Card

When you gain a card, you may discard this from your hand to gain a card costing exactly 1 more instead.

Inflation
Types: Action – Instant – Attack
Cost: $5
+1 Card
+$1
Each other player gains a Copper

Steam Engine
Types: Action – Supporter
Cost: $6
If this is not the first time you have played a Supporter this turn, this card has no effect.
+3 Cards
+1 Action

Voucher
Types: Treasure – Supporter
If this is not the first time you have played a Supporter this turn, this card is worth $0 (value, not cost) and has no effect.
$4
When you play this, each player (including you) may trash a Copper from their hand.

Stagecoach
Types: Action – Supporter
If this is not the first time you have played a Supporter this turn, this card has no effect.
+5 Cards
Discard 1 card from your hand.

Impostor
Types: Action – Supporter – Instant
Cost: $5
Play this, as if it were an Action card you have in play. This is that card until it leaves play.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:23:58 pm by King Leon »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: New types of action
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 04:36:14 pm »
+4

Supporters work more cleanly by just having the cards say "If this is the first time you have played a Supporter this turn, {card effects}". That way, you don't have to have special-case rules for the Supporter type.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 06:16:08 pm »

Supporters work more cleanly by just having the cards say "If this is the first time you have played a Supporter this turn, {card effects}". That way, you don't have to have special-case rules for the Supporter type.

Thank you. I dropped the (You can only play one Supporter per turn.) and added your suggested phrase with a slight change which makes it clearer that the whole card has no effect, if another Supporter has already been played in that turn.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:22:52 pm by King Leon »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 09:12:01 pm »

I like instant much more than Supporter.  Supporters make more sense in PTCG, where they replace drawing to 5 every turn by drawing you 2 or 3 cards on average, and then have the rule as a stopgap that means you can't go infinite.  In Dominion it's ok if people are drawing their entire deck, so the restriction is just a no-fun-zone devoid of reason to me.

Instant I like though.  I wonder if you could transition from dead draw to engine with them.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 09:13:20 pm by popsofctown »

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 09:39:37 pm »

I like both Instant and Supporter.  The Supporter cards could indeed just say "If this is the first time you have [etc.]" but that's a bunch of words, and Supporter is one word, which is neat.  It leaves more room for other kinds of complexity.

Although, I do feel like the supporter mechanic is mainly being used to make powerful cards that aren't abusive.  And I wonder if there's a more interesting thing to do with it.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 10:24:52 pm »
+1

I feel like most of the Instant cards are basically Action/Treasure cards. You can play them during your Action phase, taking up Actions, or after running out of Actions, where the only cards you'll be able to play with them anymore are other instants (Treasures) either way. This goes for all of them except Farmstead, and to some degree to Imposter, because those can make you go back to your actual Action phase. For Farmstead, there's zero reason you'd play it regularly in your Action phase, though: Either you're not running out of Actions, so you don't need to play it at all, or you are, and then you can play it for free. I'd probably just make it a Reaction that says "When you finish playing an Action card, you may play this from your hand."

I also agree with Jack Rudd that Supporter cards should just say "If this is the first time you played a Supporter this turn: (Effect)". That's consistent with Crossroads. I like Supporters more than Instant cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 10:37:56 am »
+1

I hope actual Dominion gets more of these types of things some day. Currently, it's only used on Crossroads, and a different form of it used on Tormentor. It seems like there's a lot of good design space there to be able to make cards that are a lot more powerful.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

xer

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: xer
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 12:28:28 pm »
+2

I hope actual Dominion gets more of these types of things some day. Currently, it's only used on Crossroads, and a different form of it used on Tormentor. It seems like there's a lot of good design space there to be able to make cards that are a lot more powerful.

That mechanic is also used for Fortune to make it balanced despite being so strong.

Gamer3000

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gamer3000
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 04:04:07 pm »
+2

Outpost and, barring edge cases, Tactician also have this.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 04:59:20 pm »

Although it isn't about just the first time it is played, Idol has something similar to this too, and I think it is great. 

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 08:32:26 pm »

Oh hey, the revised wording if Outpost no longer gives you a 3-card hand if you play it on an Outpost turn. That’s probably for the best, but it does mean the Outpost-Scheme-Minion combo no longer works.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.