Dominion > Rules Questions

Smugglers / Changeling targeting a card not available any more

<< < (3/3)

fisherman:
Wait, now I'm confused. I thought that if I played BoM as say Militia and then played Changeling, I would gain a Militia. But it sounds like people are saying I should gain a BoM instead?

Jeebus:

--- Quote from: chipperMDW on December 12, 2017, 11:32:59 am ---Of course, you can't really be picking an actual card they gained, not as it currently exists. If they gained a BoM and played it later that turn as Caravan, then (I presume) you can't gain Caravan even though the card they gained happens to currently be a Caravan. (And, in general, you have no way of knowing what the card they gained currently even looks like.)

It must be more like you're picking a memory of a card they gained at the time they gained it. Similar to what Treasure Map and Ritual look at.

--- End quote ---

I don't think it can work exactly like that either. Smugglers looks at the cost of the card now, not what the cost was when it was gained. So it seems to be based on the card's name when it was gained and the card's cost at the present moment. This is consistent with the verb tenses in the card text, but it still seems weird that it cares about the actual card at the present moment, since we don't know what cost it has (if it was a BoM).

Hmm, maybe this is a way to make it work: The card you pick has to be one that was gained, i.e. based on the name of a gained card. But the copy of that card has to cost $6 or less. So...

Gain a copy of [a card that the player to your right gained on their last turn] costing up to $6.

Jeebus:

--- Quote from: fisherman on December 13, 2017, 01:13:15 pm ---Wait, now I'm confused. I thought that if I played BoM as say Militia and then played Changeling, I would gain a Militia. But it sounds like people are saying I should gain a BoM instead?

--- End quote ---

No, you gain Militia. Changeling uses present tense and looks at cards you have in play.

chipperMDW:

--- Quote from: Jeebus on December 13, 2017, 01:14:53 pm ---Hmm, maybe this is a way to make it work: The card you pick has to be one that was gained, i.e. based on the name of a gained card. But the copy of that card has to cost $6 or less. So...

Gain a copy of [a card that the player to your right gained on their last turn] costing up to $6.

--- End quote ---

Yup, that's where I have my mental parentheses.

Donald X.:

--- Quote from: chipperMDW on December 13, 2017, 10:29:28 am ---Some trivia: M:tG has a concept of looking at the "memory" of an object; it's called "last known information." I think I read in an interview somewhere that Donald was somehow the one who proposed that idea.

--- End quote ---
Yes, as is always the case with these things I don't know if someone on the inside also suggested it, but I did suggest last known information to Bethmo back when.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version