Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How do you play this board?  (Read 2062 times)

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
How do you play this board?
« on: February 21, 2012, 12:43:15 am »

Crossroad, Duke, Goons, Hoard, HoP, Island, Remodel, Salvager, Talisman, Village

In the actual game I wasn't playing too competitively. Goons for a mega turn is my initial thought, but the lack of draw seriously hinders it. On the other hand, a VP strategy from Crossroad, Hoard, and Duke seems pretty strong, but probably not strong enough for ignoring Goons entirely. Goons can certainly be added to the deck though.

So I think the dominant strategy would be some VP strategy with a few Goons thrown in; somehow that is the way I ended up playing. The problem is, how does one start, and what order should one buy things?

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Re: How do you play this board?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:50:04 am »

is there any particular reason you chose remodel over salvager? I tend to like salvager better as an opener.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:53:58 am »

If you get the nightmare X/C/C/C/C draw where X is Remodel or Salvager, you can at least get Crossroads + Silver if you opened Remodel, whereas you simply lose a Copper if you opened Salvager.

Salvager is better than Remodel at getting to $5, but there are no good $5s in this kingdom. In all other instances, Remodel gets you more cards of higher value than Salvager does. I'd also imagine that once you get a few $4s, it's easy to turn them into Goons or Hoard.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 01:17:40 am »

I think I would just open Silver/Remake (or Salvager) and then just ramp into a BM/Goons strategy, maybe with a Hoard thrown in to smooth out the endgame.

Then again I'm only level 23, so this is just a fairly amateur opinion.

PerdHapley

• Thief
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 01:39:30 am »

On first glance I think this is pretty simple, but I could easily be wrong. My instinct says:

Open: Silver/Silver
First $6: Goons
Grab 2-3 Hoards, then probably another Goons a bit later depending on what opponent does
$5: Duchy / Duke
$4 w/ Hoard: Island
$4 w/o Hoard: Remodel
$2 w/ Hoard: Estate
$2 w/o Hoard: Crossroads (stop at ~3)

...And that's about it, right? All that's left is the actual act of ending the game, but that's not something I would be too worried about in planning a strategy here - Islands, Villages, and/or Estates are bound to be depleted relatively quickly. 

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 09:13:21 am »

I suspect this favours a province strategy since remodel/salvager/hoard can close out the endgame quickly.

PerdHapley

• Thief
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:34:10 pm »

I suspect this favours a province strategy since remodel/salvager/hoard can close out the endgame quickly.

Typically I would absolutely agree, but doesn't the presence of Goons here make a Province strategy much less reliable?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 07:38:30 am »

Typically I would absolutely agree, but doesn't the presence of Goons here make a Province strategy much less reliable?

If my opponent has a deck full of goons and full of duchies and full of dukes then they deserve to beat me.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.498 seconds with 21 queries.