Dominion > Dominion Articles

Self-Synergy

<< < (3/5) > >>

O:
Well if it's not a meme...

To try and put it politely: what is the use case of this article? After taking it in the article and applying it's suggestions for a bunch of games, is there a kingdom + scenario where some player (of any rating of ones choosing) plays the game differently than he does without reading the article?

The article approaches things from a high level terminology standpoint and I don't see where someone isn't going to figure out "stacking [minions, city quarters, governors)" is good through simpler means than this article. It seems to be more about categorizing the concept than anything about applying or recognizing the concept. Since how good stacking is ends up being kingdom and case dependent anyways, it's not even clear that discussing that in a broad sense and not in a card specific sense would work in the first place.

And obviously, "will this help someone improve at the game" isn't necessarily the only metric for articles. But if it's about terminology and categorization, well, I thought we had a totally amazing lovely and productive discussion about this in another thread... if only I could remember that threads title.

Bowi:

--- Quote from: O on November 14, 2017, 06:39:59 pm ---Well if it's not a meme...

To try and put it politely: what is the use case of this article? After taking it in the article and applying it's suggestions for a bunch of games, is there a kingdom + scenario where some player (of any rating of ones choosing) plays the game differently than he does without reading the article?

The article approaches things from a high level terminology standpoint and I don't see where someone isn't going to figure out "stacking [minions, city quarters, governors)" is good through simpler means than this article. It seems to be more about categorizing the concept than anything about applying or recognizing the concept. Since how good stacking is ends up being kingdom and case dependent anyways, it's not even clear that discussing that in a broad sense and not in a card specific sense would work in the first place.

And obviously, "will this help someone improve at the game" isn't necessarily the only metric for articles. But if it's about terminology and categorization, well, I thought we had a totally amazing lovely and productive discussion about this in another thread... if only I could remember that threads title.

--- End quote ---

Not every article has to be explicit advice. This article makes an implicit concept explicit. That in itself has value. Rather than just doing something you can know why you do it. Yeah self-synergy is pretty straightforward for some cards (Governor, Minion) or even printed on the card (Treasure Map, Fool's Gold), but sometimes it's a bit more subtle (Gear, Hunting Party). It also is a concept that provides a link between otherwise dissimilar cards.

And yes, all of this does have an effect on how you play, although it is subtle. It comes into effect when you're weighing two options; it might tip the scales ever so slightly in favor of the self-synergy (assuming you were previously unfamiliar with the concept).

O:

--- Quote from: Bowi on November 14, 2017, 11:00:25 pm ---
--- Quote from: O on November 14, 2017, 06:39:59 pm ---Well if it's not a meme...

--- End quote ---

Not every article has to be explicit advice. This article makes an implicit concept explicit. That in itself has value. Rather than just doing something you can know why you do it. Yeah self-synergy is pretty straightforward for some cards (Governor, Minion) or even printed on the card (Treasure Map, Fool's Gold), but sometimes it's a bit more subtle (Gear, Hunting Party). It also is a concept that provides a link between otherwise dissimilar cards.

And yes, all of this does have an effect on how you play, although it is subtle. It comes into effect when you're weighing two options; it might tip the scales ever so slightly in favor of the self-synergy (assuming you were previously unfamiliar with the concept).

--- End quote ---

Who was previously unfamiliar with the concept that you might want a bunch of one card?

Bowi:

--- Quote from: O on November 14, 2017, 11:42:12 pm ---
--- Quote from: Bowi on November 14, 2017, 11:00:25 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Who was previously unfamiliar with the concept that you might want a bunch of one card?

--- End quote ---

There's a difference between wanting a bunch of one card and self-synergy that you seem to be missing. Anyway I'm not saying it's a brand new concept, but it's something that's in the back of a lot of players' heads, and it's nice to have it in writing.

Cuzz:

--- Quote from: jonaskoelker on November 14, 2017, 06:02:02 pm ---massing CQs is not great.

--- End quote ---

I kinda think massing CQ is pretty great #livethatCQidiotlife

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version