Archive > Dominion: Nocturne Previews

Don't be fooled, nothing for you here

<< < (3/24) > >>

markusin:

--- Quote from: Gherald on November 09, 2017, 03:20:33 pm ---
--- Quote from: markusin on November 09, 2017, 09:53:08 am ---Tribe bonuses in card games (like Magic: the Gathering and Hearthstone) are considered "synergy" effects.
--- End quote ---
The difference being that those are actual synergy effects that give you a bonus, and not an ordinary additive operation of each card that works just as well with other cards.

--- End quote ---

Huh, but that describes Coppersmith. Coppersmith does not work just as well with any other card. It only works with Copper. It's not really different from tribe bonuses because Coppersmith can be reworded as "do nothing. Bonus: Copper produces one more this turn."

You can say tribe interactions like that are "interactions" and not "synergies", but people call them "synergies" from what I have seen. It kinda kills the term of its value if you ask me, but that's how it is.

markusin:
Well, I guess I should give my definition for "synergy" between cards.

Synergy between cards exists if one or more of the cards in the interaction become more efficient than if the cards acted separately.

So a card giving a Goblin "+1 attack" makes the golbin paired with it more efficient and it is a synergy. Coppersmith makes Copper more efficient, so it is a synergy.

Admittedly, Smithy/Village doesn't fit this definition quite as neatly. You can say the Village makes the Smithy more efficient by allowing the Smithy to draw action cards that can be played instead of drawing them dead, but it's a bit of a stretch I suppose.

This does not necessarily imply a "combo", which refers to interactions that make the cards behave in ways that go much beyond their general case and/or are game warping/winning.

Awaclus:

--- Quote from: Gherald on November 09, 2017, 03:20:33 pm ---well then by golly Smithy "synergizes" with treasures because they give you a payload to draw.

--- End quote ---

That's exactly true.

--- Quote from: markusin on November 09, 2017, 04:42:48 pm ---Admittedly, Smithy/Village doesn't fit this definition quite as neatly. You can say the Village makes the Smithy more efficient by allowing the Smithy to draw action cards that can be played instead of drawing them dead, but it's a bit of a stretch I suppose.

--- End quote ---

That's because it's the other way round. Smithy makes Village more efficient by making Village do anything at all.

Gherald:

--- Quote from: LastFootnote on November 09, 2017, 03:39:01 pm ---
--- Quote from: Gherald on November 09, 2017, 03:20:33 pm ---If people want to debase the term synergy into just meaning, "these cards do useful things that you want to have more of at the same time", well then by golly Smithy "synergizes" with treasures because they give you a payload to draw.

Markusin's example of Coppersmith "synergizing" with copper is even more ridiculous. No it doesn't, it just works with copper in an ordinary, banal fashion that does not rise to the level of any synergy.

For an actual example of bona-fide synergy: Coppersmith synergizes with Apothecary.

--- End quote ---
So, please explain your exact definition of synergy, such that for any two cards, a person who has read your explanation can identify whether those cards have synergy with 100% accuracy.

--- End quote ---
The dictionary definition of synergy is that the effect needs to be greater than the sum of its parts. How you interpret that in the context of dominion is somewhat arguable, so I can't give give you an explanation everyone will interpret the same, but I can go through some cases:

Does Coppersmith synergize with Smithy? No, your Smithy can draw more coppers but it can also draw other things, this is a simple additive effect that is the same when standalone.

Does Coppersmith synergize with Village? No, a Village lets you play more Coppersmiths but it also lets you play more of other things, this is a simple additive effect that is the same when standalone.

Does Coppersmith synergize with Apothecary? Yes, because Coppersmith makes the copper card more valuable and Apothecary draws a lot of that specific card and prevents it from cluttering your deck, so their combined benefits of keeping copper around multiply in the presence of each other.

Another example of synergy is Hoard and Alt VP cards. We know what Hoard does with ordinary VP and we know what Alt VP cards do on their own, those are the individual effects. When you combine the availability of the two you get a multiplicative effect to early greening, especially in the case of VP cards that give non-VP benefits such as Harem and Nobles.

Other threads on this forum have discussed what a "combo" is. One way to define "combo" is as a strong synergy that you can build part of your strategy around when you see those 2 cards on the board.

Donald X.:

--- Quote from: Gherald on November 09, 2017, 05:41:01 pm ---The dictionary definition of synergy is that the effect needs to be greater than the sum of its parts.
--- End quote ---
That definition is correct; how you personally apply it is not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version