Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Cards you only need one copy of  (Read 16296 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Cards you only need one copy of
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 08:41:22 pm »

Curses, in Fairgrounds deck :P

Why would you buy a curse when there would be 16 other cards to chose from with Fairgrounds in play. I could see that happening with Tournament and Fairgrounds...and maybe Black Market. But, needing a curse with Fairgrounds is super rare.

But, there are corner cases where your deck needs one curse, usually to end the game on piles.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 08:54:21 pm »
+2

Why would you buy a curse when there would be 16 other cards to chose from with Fairgrounds in play.
Because it costs $0.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 03:52:06 am »

Not in a 3p Gardens deck. :)
20 Curses, 12 Gardens = + 4 VP.  :P

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 03:55:27 am »

Why would you buy a curse when there would be 16 other cards to chose from with Fairgrounds in play. I could see that happening with Tournament and Fairgrounds...and maybe Black Market. But, needing a curse with Fairgrounds is super rare.

But, there are corner cases where your deck needs one curse, usually to end the game on piles.

I'm not a big fan of Fairgrounds without the enablers like Black Market or potion cards, but I'd observe that you'll often consider buying a single curse to up the variety in your deck, as you'll not always have enough $ to buy a copy of a different card that you're missing, and why waste the buy by not getting the curse now?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 06:56:22 am »

Well, in most games it's not that hard to reach the 10 different cards mark.
Province, Duchy, Estate, Gold, Silver, Copper, Fairgrounds gets you to 7. So you need just 3 kingdom cards to complete the set of 10. Unless you're going plain BMU+ that's very doable.

Asklepios

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 08:21:16 am »

Well, in most games it's not that hard to reach the 10 different cards mark.
Province, Duchy, Estate, Gold, Silver, Copper, Fairgrounds gets you to 7. So you need just 3 kingdom cards to complete the set of 10. Unless you're going plain BMU+ that's very doable.

You may be right there. I'm don't often play Fairgrounds, so I don't have much of a feel for knowing whether its worth buying a curse for it. I can't recall when I last went for Fairgrounds as a 4VP card. For me, if there's not a good route to making it worth 6VP+, its too slow to make my startegy around.

But Fairgrounds is probably one of my weakest cards.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 01:31:37 pm »

I'm not an active Fairgrounds player myself, but I take them as a consolation prize over Duchy when I'm $2 short of a Province. Much like when I take Tunnel over Estate in no-discard games.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 02:10:19 pm »

I can't imagine buying more than one Minion or Torturer. Or Province for that matter.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 03:12:23 pm »

I can't imagine buying more than one Minion or Torturer. Or Province for that matter.

Especially Province! They do NOTHING for you at all during the game; just take up room in your deck and prevent you from drawing the good cards! I suppose there might be an exception in Crossroads games, though.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 03:17:43 pm »

I don't think those really qualify for the spirit of the thread. We're more looking for cards you want exactly one of, not cards you don't want at all.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 03:18:01 pm »

I guess if both Explorer and Tournament were out I might buy a second Province.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 03:22:57 am »

And if Fool's Gold is out, I'm definitely NOT buying them!

Asklepios

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 03:54:21 am »

And if Fool's Gold is out, I'm definitely NOT buying them!

I might get ONE. Just for variety, y'know.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 04:16:28 pm »
+1

Well, now that we've taken a single joke and stretched it over about 10 posts, can we get back on topic...?

It's interesting I think to look also at the flipside of this: When might you want multiple copies of a card you'd normally only be interested in having one of? When is buying 2-3+ chapels a good idea? What board makes you want to buy multiple curses? How about something that's powered by multiple Envoys (that isn't just a long BMU+ game)?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 04:22:58 pm »

You could potentially buy multiple Chapels in a Vineyards game which lacked other $2 actions.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 04:35:50 pm »

Also, you can play Chapel and choose not to trash anything. Which makes it occasionally worth it to power up HOPs, especially as it's cheap.

He/him

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 04:37:06 pm »

I've bought out Curses to close out a Goons game, and I doubt I'm alone in that. 

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 04:46:43 pm »

Well, now that we've taken a single joke and stretched it over about 10 posts, can we get back on topic...?

It's interesting I think to look also at the flipside of this: When might you want multiple copies of a card you'd normally only be interested in having one of? When is buying 2-3+ chapels a good idea? What board makes you want to buy multiple curses? How about something that's powered by multiple Envoys (that isn't just a long BMU+ game)?

I've bought two Chapels before.  I can't remember the exact circumstance, though.  Most likely I had a $2 hand with no other worthwhile $2 cards and fast trashing was really important to whatever I was doing.  It might also be worthwhile if your deck has gotten huge for some reason and you need to make it small again (Goons).

A word of caution, though: it doesn't matter how big your deck is, if you buy a second Chapel, it's guaranteed to show up in the same hand as the first.

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 05:07:33 pm »

Trading Post, Forge, and Moneylender are also good candidates;

A double Moneylender with Cache (or IGG) on the board is something I've been meaning to try.

What about Feast :P there's probably only one copy of it in your deck at any given time.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 07:42:37 pm »
+1

I like the way you asked for it to get back on topic and then took it in completely the other direction!

I bought two outposts the other day to ensure i got them with my tactitians, does thatcount?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2012, 01:33:56 am »

I have a hard time believing double Moneylender with IGG is a good way to go. If you buy a Silver instead, any hand you draw Moneylender-Copper, you get $3, same as Silver-Copper. Trashing the Copper isn't that great, since you actually like having tons of copper in the endgame. And that's if you happen to get a random $4 hand; if you pay $5 to get the second Moneylender, there's the huge opportunity cost.

It's not uncommon for there to be multiple Feasts in your deck at once. It's usually not how you plan to use that card, but hey, stuff happens. It's definitely not a card you never want to buy more than one of.

What about Contraband? I imagine if I think long enough I can come up with some situation where I want multiples, but it seems pretty rare.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2012, 02:14:24 am »

In a Gardens game after you have all/most of the Gardens and you just want as much money and +buy as you can get (and there are no better options for +buy), maybe you want multiple COntrabands

He/him

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2012, 10:24:16 am »

In a Gardens game after you have all/most of the Gardens and you just want as much money and +buy as you can get (and there are no better options for +buy), maybe you want multiple COntrabands

at that point in a garden game you would likely want duchy over contraband.  buying multiple contrabands very early though can help a garden or silk road strategy.  i have used / seen it used for both.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2012, 10:47:53 am »

at that point in a garden game you would likely want duchy over contraband.  buying multiple contrabands very early though can help a garden or silk road strategy.  i have used / seen it used for both.

Ultimately it's a judgment call, but if I can add a Gold and a +buy at the same time and only delay my Duchy-rush one turn, I might do it, especially if the Gardens split is close and I think my opponent's buying power is a lot better than mine.

He/him

Asklepios

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2012, 05:34:38 am »

I've bought two moneylenders before in a multiplayer where two players had mountebank. Sure, it upped my curse density a little, but curses are finite, and moneylender at least upped my treasure density enough to allow me to start getting consistent duchies before the game three-piled.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.