Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Bonus Preview #2: Faithful Hound  (Read 36576 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Bonus Preview #2: Faithful Hound
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2017, 12:58:18 pm »

Ow, I like it :3
In my opinion the art is perfectly fine, or rather it appeals to me a lot. And I'm not even a dog person. This has to be my favourite for now.

Wonder how good it'll be, though. I guess just like Moat, the reaction sometimes will and sometimes won't matter, but here it's not player dependent and you can very much control it yourself. Ah, probably much better than Moat.

They're good dogs, Brent.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2017, 01:19:52 pm »
+1

"We shall go on a hunting party today, gentlemen. Release the hounds!"
"All of the hounds, sir?"
"All of the hounds!!!"

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2017, 06:24:27 pm »
+12

The Lost Art of Being a Lab
Best-selling how-to for dogs!
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2017, 08:58:11 pm »

I'm not really a fan of the art (the dog looks more dopey than faithful) but my dislike for it went up several notches after seeing the shrunken online version. It looks like the dog has creepy shining pupil-less blue eyes.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2017, 02:17:29 pm »

This seems to me like the first weak-ish card from the Previews. As in it's not good in the great majority of kingdoms. But I'm less sure about this one than I was of cards like Beggar, Duchess and Mandarin. (I remember thinking that IGG was weak, which was obvously way off.)

But yeah, better than Moat, but... All it does in the end when you do actually play it, is +2 Cards. And before that it doesn't do anything except return to your hand. Yeah, it's ok for discard for benefit like Cellar, Warehouse, Vault...

I actually got to play with Faithful Hound only twice I think. But I'm already thinking that it's better than I thought. The thing I didn't consider is the following: If you can trigger it, it's not +2 cards but rather +3 cards effectively. It'll be tricky to have the right amount of Hounds I guess. You either have to discard them yourself (for some benefit), or be discard-attacked. Then you need enough villages to take advantage of the draw on the next turn. (This is based on using the Hounds to play them, not things like just using them purely for discard for Vault, Artificer etc; I have no idea how easy that would be to pull off.)

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +661
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2017, 03:23:31 pm »

I never got to try this, but it seems like scheme artificer hound will be really good.  You can get a couple of hounds early, get 2+ schemes and one artificer.  Use artificer to gain more hounds and schemes until you can get up to 8 with it. Then once you get it rolling, you should be able to topdeck at least a scheme and an artificer, along with a whole pack of dogs.  I guess it will stop working if you don't get enough schemes, but it still sounds pretty good.

Anyone try this? Would it actually be decent?

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2017, 05:13:07 pm »

I never got to try this, but it seems like scheme artificer hound will be really good.  You can get a couple of hounds early, get 2+ schemes and one artificer.  Use artificer to gain more hounds and schemes until you can get up to 8 with it. Then once you get it rolling, you should be able to topdeck at least a scheme and an artificer, along with a whole pack of dogs.  I guess it will stop working if you don't get enough schemes, but it still sounds pretty good.

That does sound good, although I don't think it would work quite that way.  You don't really need Scheme, just topdeck an Artificer every turn.  The problem is that you'd really rather be doing more than just gaining an Artificer every turn.  The other problem is that if you ever miss, then all the dogs get loose in your deck and you have to gather them up again.  I expect that at some point, you hope your deck is reliable enough to draw an Artificer every turn, and you start discarding Hounds for other $5-costs or Provinces.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2017, 05:32:14 pm »

That does sound good, although I don't think it would work quite that way.  You don't really need Scheme, just topdeck an Artificer every turn.  The problem is that you'd really rather be doing more than just gaining an Artificer every turn.  The other problem is that if you ever miss, then all the dogs get loose in your deck and you have to gather them up again.  I expect that at some point, you hope your deck is reliable enough to draw an Artificer every turn, and you start discarding Hounds for other $5-costs or Provinces.

The good thing here is that if you discard Hounds to topdeck an Artificer, you start your next turn with more than five cards in hand, so you would in fact not sacrifice a turn to topdeck an Artificer.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2017, 06:01:16 pm »
+2

But Chappy7's idea was not to gain Artificers, just to get one Artificer and several Hounds and Schemes. You would only need 3 Hounds actually, barring discard attacks. With that you can gain a Province every turn. But then you do need Schemes, because you always need to start with an Artificer in hand. So I guess you would get several Artificers, to quickly get more Schemes, unless there's some other gainer.

In the end it's a 3-card combo, so... I guess extremely rare.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +661
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2017, 06:04:28 pm »

But Chappy7's idea was not to gain Artificers, just to get one Artificer and several Hounds and Schemes. You would only need 3 Hounds actually, barring discard attacks. With that you can gain a Province every turn. But then you do need Schemes, because you always need to start with an Artificer in hand. So I guess you would get several Artificers, to quickly get more Schemes, unless there's some other gainer.

Yeah that's true.  Artificer hound sound like it will have some fun synergies on most kingdoms though.  Scheme would just make it even better. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2017, 06:06:59 pm »
+3

I really like how derpy Faithful Hound is.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2017, 06:23:12 pm »

Okay, I see what you mean.  The nice thing is that before you green, you can topdeck gain Artificers/Schemes in order to ensure that the combo is 100% consistent.  Once you start greening you have to hope that your Artificer/Scheme density is high enough.

I don't think it's a killer combo--I mean you could do the same thing with a regular old draw engine.  But it's a nice synergy, using Faithful Hounds as cheaper Hirelings.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2017, 07:03:23 pm »
+3

The other problem is that if you ever miss, then all the dogs get loose in your deck and you have to gather them up again.

Ok so I had been holding up on doing this one for too long and now I can't take it anymore

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.