Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mining Village  (Read 4486 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Mining Village
« on: February 14, 2012, 08:48:54 am »

What are your criteria for trashing it?

When it gets you a $5 card?
Gold or better?
Province or Better?

Does this also depend on where you are in the game?

I ask because I never feel like i have got enough enough use out of them, as in sometimes I will end the game with them in my deck because I never felt it was the right time.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
Re: Mining Village
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 08:57:17 am »

If you're buying them to get a fast X (powerful $5 or $6), then you're obviously going to trash it soon. If you bought it to enable an engine you're probably only trashing them on your final big turn. If you're just buying them over Silvers to make it easier to get to $8 for Provinces, probably only trash them to get those Provinces.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:01:15 am »

I personally trash them as soon as the $2 will give me something better unless I am in desperate need of actions.  If it's for an early Mountebank or something similar, I'll take it without any hesitation.  I wouldn't trash one for a card that costs less than 5, though.  Not unless it was a unique situation.   If I still have a lot of actions to play that turn, I generally won't trash it because often that would give me enough money anyway.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:31:12 am »

When I think there's at least a 50% chance it will make the difference between province and not-province.

I don't generally buy them if I don't need actions.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:44:08 am »

In a big money game, I usually trash them early to get gold.

In engine building games, you will usually want to keep them until the end game. Picking them up late to use as a one-time grand market is a good use for them as well.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:57:47 am »

I think my trouble is I always buy too many or always think 'well there will be a better chance later'

Too cautious I think
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 10:38:26 am »

I like to buy 'em late some of the time to use as one-shots for getting over that $4 or $7 hill, while I prefer Silvers earlier.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 01:25:24 pm »

I personally trash them as soon as the $2 will give me something better unless I am in desperate need of actions.  If it's for an early Mountebank or something similar, I'll take it without any hesitation.  I wouldn't trash one for a card that costs less than 5, though.  Not unless it was a unique situation.   If I still have a lot of actions to play that turn, I generally won't trash it because often that would give me enough money anyway.

If you're hoping for an early mountebank, or similarly strong $5, I would much prefer a silver/silver opening. I only open MV when there are no great $5's and I'm hoping for a turn 3/4 $6+ card.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 01:43:25 pm »

In my personal experience, I've never done particularly well with an MV opening, nor with trashing MV to get anything but a Province...

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 06:22:02 pm »

I think my trouble is I always buy too many or always think 'well there will be a better chance later'

Too cautious I think

Yeah I did this for a few games and then went completely the other direction. I trash it as soon as I can. I mean unless I bought it as a village.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 06:33:16 pm »

I think this decision is something you should make before you even buy the mining village. Don't just buy cards because they are the right cost. Have a reason. If your reason is that you need a village, basically don't trash it until the end of the game. If you buy it specifically for the one shot ability, then use it. If you draw the mining village and don't know what to do with it, you probably shouldn't have bought it.

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 07:41:58 pm »

Yeah, think of MV as two different cards:

The first card is a Village that will also help you buy more stuff on your last 1-2 turns.

The second card is Feast, but not guaranteed to get $5, but possibly $6+.

Buy one or the other, and use it appropriately.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:20 pm »

I think this decision is something you should make before you even buy the mining village. Don't just buy cards because they are the right cost. Have a reason. If your reason is that you need a village, basically don't trash it until the end of the game. If you buy it specifically for the one shot ability, then use it. If you draw the mining village and don't know what to do with it, you probably shouldn't have bought it.

In general I agree. However, if you deny yourself the flexibility of spontaneously trashing your Mining Village for cash, you're denying yourself full use of the card.  You have to be ready to adapt your plan as the game shakes out - I was going to save these for a megaturn, but if I trash it now I can get that Possession into my deck before I reshuffle, etc.

I've been playing a lot of Thunderstone lately, and the spear is a lot like the Mining Village of Thunderstone.  Weirdly though, I pretty much always trash the spear and I'm hesitant to trash the village.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

randomdragoon

• Salvager
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 03:36:41 am »

A good way to think about MV is to think of it as a one-shot Grand Market.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.