Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: One-Shots  (Read 12536 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: One-Shots
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 05:44:54 pm »

How about a one-shot VP point gainer? Kind of swingy, but would make the mid-late game interesting.

It would probably be $5-7 and give 3-5 VP.

So would it be card you buy for $5 and then trash for 3VP as an action? Or an on buy/gain +3VP?

6$ for +3VP or +4VP.. 5 for 3VP is too close to strictly better than duchy.
Actually, I dunno. If you have to wait to trash the thing for VP, my gut is that I'm not actually going to think it's stronger than duchy in the first place - because very often you aren't sure whether you're getting around to the duchy again to play it again, and even if I do, it means I can't play some other action.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 05:45:19 pm »

So I think you should add to your list:

Border Village - One shot $5 Gainer
Mandarin - One shot treasure top decker
Ill Gotten Gains - One shot curser
Farming Village - One shot Remodel(ish)
Embassy - One shot opponent assistance :P
Inn - One shot ... putting all your actions back into your deck
Arguably Nomad Camp? - One shot Woodcutter top-decker

Some of these are really stretching. And I'm pretty sure you mean Farmland.

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 05:46:03 pm »

I seriously prefer on-gain to one-shots, even if it's an immediate trash-on-gain effect ;  It would be too swingy to have to buy a card, wait for your deck to cycle back around to it, and (probably) have to waste an action / card slot on it.  Particularly if you had terminal draw/etc. 

I have more than enough experience with games where I buy a card just before a reshuffle turn 6 and don't see it until turn 9+ on the next shuffle where my opponent buys it on turn 8 and plays it on turn 9 before me.  ..anything that can be balanced to negate this stochastic effect would be better in my eyes.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 05:56:46 pm »

I have more than enough experience with games where I buy a card just before a reshuffle turn 6 and don't see it until turn 9+ on the next shuffle where my opponent buys it on turn 8 and plays it on turn 9 before me.  ..anything that can be balanced to negate this stochastic effect would be better in my eyes.

Just the other day I opened Witch/-, my opponent didn't buy a Witch until turn 4, and he played his Witch before I could play mine. (I was second player).

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 06:19:00 pm »

How about a one-shot VP point gainer? Kind of swingy, but would make the mid-late game interesting.

So would it be card you buy for $5 and then trash for 3VP as an action? Or an on buy/gain +3VP?

Actually, I dunno. If you have to wait to trash the thing for VP, my gut is that I'm not actually going to think it's stronger than duchy in the first place - because very often you aren't sure whether you're getting around to the duchy again to play it again, and even if I do, it means I can't play some other action.

Yeah I agree, if you have to actually play the action to get the VP its probably pretty similar to a duchy at $5. Or even worse because if you don't play it before the game ends its just a dead card.

Also the Kingdom cards are always better (or rather arguably "better", I mean everything has its place etc, etc) than standard cards at a similar price. Donald mentioned this himself at one point. If they weren't better you'd never buy them, big money would be the only strategy.

So anyway $4 for "trash this +3vp"?

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 06:21:46 pm »

Yeah I agree, if you have to actually play the action to get the VP its probably pretty similar to a duchy at $5. Or even worse because if you don't play it before the game ends its just a dead card.

Also the Kingdom cards are always better (or rather arguably "better", I mean everything has its place etc, etc) than standard cards at a similar price. Donald mentioned this himself at one point. If they weren't better you'd never buy them, big money would be the only strategy.

No way. I was thinking 6$ for an on-gain 3VP... but 4$ for an action-trash 3vp allows for some ridiculous rush strategies. IW/Gardens without the hassle of gardens clogging up your deck.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 07:16:10 pm »

No way. I was thinking 6$ for an on-gain 3VP... but 4$ for an action-trash 3vp allows for some ridiculous rush strategies. IW/Gardens without the hassle of gardens clogging up your deck.
I'm worried about an on gain effect like this in a talisman game, although with a high cost it would only be trouble with cost reducers.  maybe on gain would balance better.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 07:21:08 pm »

Am I wrong, or has this whole concept already been done with Island?

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 08:19:52 pm »

Am I wrong, or has this whole concept already been done with Island?

Pretty close. But Island is better than $4 "trash this +2vp" in that because it can sequester other cards, and its better because you get the 2vp even if you don't play it.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 09:31:36 pm »

How much for a terminal action "Trash this card. Gain 3 silver"?

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 09:52:59 pm »

5 would be obscene.. 3 would make a 7 silver 2nd reshuffle too likely.. so I'd say 4

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 10:04:03 pm »

5 would be obscene.. 3 would make a 7 silver 2nd reshuffle too likely.. so I'd say 4
Agreed. $4 seems like the best cost at first glance.

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 11:03:27 pm »

It might be neat to have a card with an effect that's a little too powerful for its price but whose text reads something like:

Awesome Card
<Do something awesome>
Trash this card.  Gain an Awesome Card.

It's not quite one-shot, but it has a limited number of uses per game and it runs down a pile, which may or may not be desirable.  As far as which effect, maybe the same effects as Grand Market (possibly without the + buy) but priced at $4.  It'd be an awesome early deck accelerator, but you couldn't build an engine around it because it'd eventually go away for good.
Eh, the issue here is that you don't actually get more than 10 plays of GM in most games anyway. You could cost it at $6 without the copper restriction and have this, maybe with the buy, maybe without.

It's kind of interesting because I think it'd play a way that's almost the opposite of GM.  GM becomes available in the mid-late game and works best when chained.  GM is also very useful for obtaining more GMs.  This would start to disappear in the mid-late game and would not work at all in an engine.  It's not great for gaining copies of itself.

If both players buy it, each player can expect 5 total plays, not 10, so each gets $10 total for the whole game in $2 parcels, not nearly as powerful as GM or even Conspirator, but also not as hard to get working.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 02:44:31 pm »

Border Village - One shot $5 Gainer
Mandarin - One shot treasure top decker
Ill Gotten Gains - One shot curser
Farmland - One shot Remodel(ish)
Embassy - One shot opponent assistance :P
Inn - One shot ... putting all your actions back into your deck
Arguably Nomad Camp? - One shot Woodcutter top-decker

Also Mint - One shot trashing of treasures in play.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 20 queries.