Dominion > Dominion General Discussion

How do YOU pick interesting kingdoms?

<< < (2/6) > >>

werothegreat:
I artisanally handcraft them with the finest organic ingredients and only the best cheap immigrant labor

Awaclus:
Oh, and another way is to build a kingdom where the dominant strategy is obvious, but very difficult to play (usually an engine).

Chris is me:
I hit random a few times, sub out a card or two in order to make the board more interesting or more / less complicated as desired by the play group.

jomini:
A surprisingly effective option is to play semi-random (if you are playing a set).

Play with the normal random 10 setup.

At the end of the game, the loser gets to vote one card in to keep and one card out of the next game. The winner then gets to do the same. Alternate until 5 cards are kept, deal up 5 randoms.

Cards which synergize will often be kept. This ends up allowing a lot more games where there are more strategic choices. E.g. you can vote to keep in a village and not have dead Bm-ish boards; you also get to explore what makes each type of village superior. You even get sequences of combo vs combo over several games to see what can beat Herm/Ms.

With strong players, I also like bidding on starting hands. If we tie, then we both get mirror image starts of whatever is interesting and starting player is random. I bid higher, I get my choice of either determining who gets to be P1 xor determining the hands of P1 and P2 (e.g. I vote to pick the hands and give out 3/4 and 5/2 openings; you get to pick to be P1 or P2). This tends to result in either a lot of mirror image starts or pretty high handicaps for terribly strong P1 advantages. This, in turn, makes a lot of games with too strong of opener luck (e.g. opening Altar on a Hparty board) much more interesting.

crj:

--- Quote from: MatthewCA on September 20, 2017, 09:05:32 am ---I feel 10 cards from my randomizer deck, then 1 more card per player. Then each player gets one veto, they can remove one of the first 10 cards for one of the extras I also dealt.

--- End quote ---
An interesting idea. But wouldn't it be simpler just to deal out 10+N cards and let each player veto one of them, rather than having that notion of the "first ten" and the "extras"?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version