Dominion > Dominion Articles

Poacher

<< < (2/6) > >>

infangthief:
Overall a nice article.
Two things I would recommend:

1. The speculation of what a pure peddler would cost is interesting only to people who predate the second edition, and confusing otherwise.
2. Maybe provide an example game where the correct choice is to not go for poachers.

Dingan:
Half of this article feels like an article on Oasis to me. Do you really need those parts?

And random thought: I wonder what has been (or can be) the most cards discarded by Poacher ???

DG:
A few assorted ideas (I've never thought this much about poacher before)

Poacher/silver opening - good chance of hitting 5 coins on turn 3 or 4 and then getting the 5 cost card into play on turn 5 or 6.
Workshop family - these makes poachers easy to gain but does it mean piles will run out earlier?
Dilemma - if an opponent has a lot of poachers, do you buy out the last poachers to make their deck worse knowing that you're buying poor cards?
The basic poacher is vulnerable to top of deck attacks like fortune teller. An oasis can be considered a mild defense against those same attacks. How about that?
Risky card to put with throne room and king's court since the discard penalties repeat (procession might be a poacher's friend though).
Could do with a link to a good oasis article that covers discard tricks.

jsh357:
You should mention that Poacher's discard effect can specifically be useful with trashers, notably Sentry, if you are able to guarantee what card will be in the discard.

filovirus:

--- Quote from: Seprix on September 19, 2017, 04:41:35 pm ---Ditch the thing about Peddler Variants because that has nothing much to do with Poacher, include Stonemason and Magpie and other cards like that as quick pile emptiers, and I don't see the reason to include what the community thinks a stock Peddler variant would cost. In all honesty, Poacher is hard to write an article on. There's really not much to say.
--- End quote ---

I disagree. I like the list of Peddler variants as it shows that many of the Poacher tactics would apply equally well to other, similar cards. But I do agree that stock variant cost is a fun fact, but probably has no bearing on a Poacher strategy article.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version