Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]  All

Author Topic: Annoying and potentially harmful card anti-synergies  (Read 102030 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Annoying and potentially harmful card anti-synergies
« Reply #350 on: May 06, 2023, 04:43:19 am »
+3

Way of the Frog before a Journey turn doesn't work at all.

First there's the straightforward fact that you don't discard and hence topdeck it before your Journey turn, that's just the the normal don't-discard drawback of Journey.

But then, after your Journey turn, when discarding, you don't topdeck it either! Because it says "When you discard this from play this turn" and that never happens.

Hunh. Now I'm wondering why the wording "this turn" was used there
Probably because of weird issues when you throne a Duration and play it regularly first and as WotF second.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 13, 2023, 09:35:37 pm »
+2

An anti-synergy within the Loot pile: Sword makes Puzzle Box's ability a lot less useful.

Exactly the opposite many times. Puzzle box is vastly better when your opponent has Sword because you can topdeck Shield (or Moat or any of the dozens of other Sword counters should they be in the kingdom). Being able to top deck the appropriate reaction (be it Shield or Wt) is much more clutch when dealing with painful discarding attacks.

Abundance plays really poorly with Night gainers like Vampire
Works wonderfully with Cobbler. Gain and play, buy an action, get the coins. It makes a good target to gain with Dw. Changeling has downright synergy (buy a useless $3 to activate a few Abundances, gain an action to activate, return it for a Changeling, use that next turn for another abundance). Even Vamp is not that bad as any viable $3 (e.g. Village or Moat equivalents) can be paired up with a complementary $5 gain. And, of course, +buys are exceedingly handy on Vamp boards if you want to keep gaining through the late game. I mean, yes, you cannot stack them for later but in Vamp games you rarely need to stack them and instead should be using them as renewable Stockpiles.

NMF:
Inherited Royal Blacksmith - People don't buy this early for a reason. Watch out for misclicks.
No this is obnoxiously good. You just elect not to play it until you have some better cards, Literally completely 100% better than estate outside of the universal exceptions (e.g. Baron/Estate). The real bum option is Inherited Castles. Small castle brings your average card to $0.8 wonderful. Crumbling castle is NOT gained so you neither gain the silver (so your average cards is still $0.7) nor the VP point (so it literally starts at the same value as the estate it replaced).

Patient Swamp Shacks - Can actually be extremely useful with Prepare or Journey. But nothing to make you curse your deck order like seeing the option to play a dead card for little effect next turn.
Any sort of duration setup is quite useful as well. And even a Patient ruined village can be quite nice from time to time. I have done quite well with Astrolabes, for instance. Changeling has the same constraints with the added detriment that delayed play trashes the card for nothing barring the outs and can always be played during the Night if you can set it aside during cleanup.

Tireless Hireling etc.- Tireless can be meaningless. I really wanted to think of an anti-synergy - a card you want evenly spaced in your deck rather than clumped together (e.g. Throne Room and King's Court). But there's a lot of ways those cards benefit too. So useless Tireless it is.
I would suggest Shepherd. With a green deck, the end up clumped, not in your hand. Going with one or two to avoid clumping can be helpful, but only if you have green in hand when you draw it.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 23, 2023, 04:33:37 am »
+2

The money that you get for trashing cards after playing a Priest won't yet apply if you use Sewers to trash a card after the first with Priest.

There's lots of ways Priest and Sewers can work well together regardless it's just irritating to think cards have a certain interaction that they don't.

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 25, 2023, 12:49:59 am »
+6

About the worst Trait, just found Hasty Treasure Map. :-\

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 25, 2023, 09:46:50 am »
+1

There’s a few ways you can still pull it off, but they require specific other things to be in the Kingdom, like Watchtower.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 28, 2023, 08:24:16 pm »
+2

There’s a few ways you can still pull it off, but they require specific other things to be in the Kingdom, like Watchtower.
Transport a Treasure Map into Exile, then onto your deck. Then Summon buy a 2nd Treasure Map (forgetting that Hasty does the Summon thing already).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 08:28:18 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 29, 2023, 11:44:56 pm »
+2

Most Ways would work too
They/them

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 09, 2023, 06:22:17 am »

Prepare sets aside your whole remaining hand, including Night cards, which are then discarded during your next turn.

I think that's worth editing the post over.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 09, 2023, 06:35:42 am »

The real bum option is Inherited Castles. Small castle brings your average card to $0.8 wonderful. Crumbling castle is NOT gained so you neither gain the silver (so your average cards is still $0.7) nor the VP point (so it literally starts at the same value as the estate it replaced).

Changeling has the same constraints with the added detriment that delayed play trashes the card for nothing barring the outs and can always be played during the Night if you can set it aside during cleanup.

Traits only apply to Actions and Treasure piles. The Castle pile is Victory/Castle so you can't apply Traits to them, and Changeling is a pure Night Card.

Tireless Hireling etc.- Tireless can be meaningless. I really wanted to think of an anti-synergy - a card you want evenly spaced in your deck rather than clumped together (e.g. Throne Room and King's Court). But there's a lot of ways those cards benefit too. So useless Tireless it is.
I would suggest Shepherd. With a green deck, the end up clumped, not in your hand. Going with one or two to avoid clumping can be helpful, but only if you have green in hand when you draw it.
[/quote]

Makes sense and even 2 Shepherds is pretty risky. But buying a single Tireless Shepherd once you've started greening seems like a pretty good bet for deck consistency? That's why I struggled with Tireless - when clumping seems like a bad thing, you can still kind of play around it.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.