Dominion > Dominion Articles

Gold

<< < (2/4) > >>

Jfrisch:
(And yes, sometimes you are going to play a mostly-money deck. But these situations are becoming so rare in full randomized kingdoms, that I hesitate to even acknowledge the possibility to someone who is trying to up their game.)

I disagree with this line. At least when mostly money includes stuff like merchant/dungeon/silver/gold decks. These types of decks are probably the second most common. On the other hand, disagreeing caused me to write an article. So I'm glad you wrote it.

Also, great concept for an article, and most of the points are very astute.

4est:
Excellent article!  Also, good find on the Galadriel quote :)

You do a great job laying out why "all that glitters is not gold" which is an important lesson for newer players who often overvalue Gold over more important and more powerful $5 cost actions.  The three main cons of Gold (it's a stop card, other actions are often stronger, and it's not always the best payload) are well put.

It seems like you already hint at this, but I do think it's worth emphasizing that in situations when Gold is your best payload, the reason you'll usually wait to add it is to ensure that you have enough draw in your deck to handle the additional stop card(s).  When you add the Gold before you're able to reliably draw it, it will simply get in the way and prevent you from maximizing its economy.  This can also come into play with overusing some Gold gainers--Courtier especially comes to mind (the "Gain a Gold" option isn't always as good as it looks).  Now that I think about it, there's a lot you could say about Gold gainers actually, so I wonder if later article dealing specifically with Gold-gainers and possibly also Silver-gainers in general might be useful. 

But yeah anyway, I think this article is great!  Succinct, well-structured, and targeted to the right audience. 

P.S. I definitely agree with Aku on using Burning Skull's Base videos for examples of poor Gold-buying decisions.  There's a ton of great Dominion lessons in those videos in general--if it's not already, the series should be linked on the new blog probably. 

vsiewnar:
Just a thought from a game that I recently finished: If you have or want to have an Encampment thing set up, then Gold's value goes up. There are obviously other things to consider with Encampment around (certainly not a straightforward card, perhaps there's an article to be written about Encampment :P) but it's at least worth consideration.

JW:

--- Quote from: vsiewnar on September 15, 2017, 04:52:36 pm ---Just a thought from a game that I recently finished: If you have or want to have an Encampment thing set up, then Gold's value goes up. There are obviously other things to consider with Encampment around (certainly not a straightforward card, perhaps there's an article to be written about Encampment :P) but it's at least worth consideration.

--- End quote ---

With both Encampment and Storyteller, having Gold helps power your draw engine.

markusin:
This article is primarily aimed at newer players right? I think this is a great opportunity to bring up the "First Game Engine" because of the lessons it teaches us about Gold.

https://dominionstrategy.com/2012/07/30/building-the-first-game-engine/

The way Geronimoo suggested to get an early Gold or two before switching to Markets really stuck to me. Gold being a bouncing board to help you afford the more expensive engine pieces seemed like a great insight. And then you could even Remodel the Gold into Province for that final push to victory.

Then the "First Game" simulator challenge came to be, and it was like, "Yo, why are you buying Gold when you can just use Mine to build up to Gold instead while you buy more Markets and engine parts?". With 2nd Edition Base and Intrigue introducing Bandit and Courtier, it feels more and more like you can improve efficiency by using Action Cards to gain Gold as payload to match your engine's growth, and perhaps even use the $6 cost price point of Gold to Remodel/Replace them into Province as you gain Gold.

This is kind of how I've come to understand Gold. It doesn't feel great to buy them at $6, but Gold becomes an asset if you can find more efficient and better timed ways of gaining it. I think it's good that you bring this up in your article. Indeed, it's easy to gain too many Golds for your own good even if you aren't spending a costly buy on them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version