Dominion > Dominion Articles

Bonfire Synergies and Tactics

<< < (3/5) > >>

Chris is me:

--- Quote from: faust on September 08, 2017, 02:18:10 am ---I think the article should focus less on specific synergies and more on general strength. The way it is written now, one would assume that Bonfire is the strongest trasher in existence. Downsides aren't really discussed. And where there are comparisons to other trashers, you make it sound as though Bonfire wins out against Steward, Remake or Masquerade, which I am pretty sure is not the case. You really should discuss:

- losing 2 Coppers early hurts your ecomony and makes it hard to get more stuff. How to make up for that.

--- End quote ---

I think expanding or featuring in more detail the "other trashers" thing will help clear this up. I figured it was sort of obvious that you would not go "oh there's Bonfire, better not buy any other trashers", but do some of each. It's not really competing head to head against Remake or Steward - you buy both.

--- Quote ---- the ratio of coins spent per card trashed is way higher than for any other trasher. What this means when comparing Bonfire to other trashers.

--- End quote ---

This doesn't actually mean anything, though. Like, you don't care about Total Coins Spent when trashing, especially when most of those coins are really the coins you are trashing. I guess you care about the Buys you spend on trashing, but you don't usually buy anything on trashing turns as it is.

faust:

--- Quote from: Chris is me on September 08, 2017, 09:25:17 am ---
--- Quote from: faust on September 08, 2017, 02:18:10 am ---I think the article should focus less on specific synergies and more on general strength. The way it is written now, one would assume that Bonfire is the strongest trasher in existence. Downsides aren't really discussed. And where there are comparisons to other trashers, you make it sound as though Bonfire wins out against Steward, Remake or Masquerade, which I am pretty sure is not the case. You really should discuss:

- losing 2 Coppers early hurts your ecomony and makes it hard to get more stuff. How to make up for that.

--- End quote ---

I think expanding or featuring in more detail the "other trashers" thing will help clear this up. I figured it was sort of obvious that you would not go "oh there's Bonfire, better not buy any other trashers", but do some of each. It's not really competing head to head against Remake or Steward - you buy both.

--- End quote ---
Well I agree, but I think for someone who is not experienced enough to know this the article will be confusing. And I would think that that is the intended target audience, even though the actual target audience is a bunch of Dominion vets with too much free time on their hands.

Chris is me:
Did a little cleanup, downplayed Transmute, added a limitations blurb.

Jfrisch:
In practice, I find the loss of economy a much larger concern than the use of buys. (Most of the time, if you want bonfire, there will be a card which gives +buys)

The major downside of bonfire is that, until you average 1 coin per card, it actively hurts your economy. This fact explains most all  its synergies (with gainers/remodelers) and most of its weaknesses.

Other than this, the article is fantastic, but this point really needs to be emphasized. Especially when we are talking about beginners.

Awaclus:

--- Quote from: Jfrisch on September 15, 2017, 09:38:43 am ---In practice, I find the loss of economy a much larger concern than the use of buys. (Most of the time, if you want bonfire, there will be a card which gives +buys)

The major downside of bonfire is that, until you average 1 coin per card, it actively hurts your economy. This fact explains most all  its synergies (with gainers/remodelers) and most of its weaknesses.

Other than this, the article is fantastic, but this point really needs to be emphasized. Especially when we are talking about beginners.

--- End quote ---

Beginners don't need that emphasis, they already overvalue their Coppers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version