Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Suggestion on Strategy for This Game Setup  (Read 2419 times)

doulos

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Suggestion on Strategy for This Game Setup
« on: August 21, 2015, 06:18:41 pm »

My wife and I have started playing Dominion more lately and I use an Android app to randomly choose cards to play for the night.  We only have the Main/Prosperity/Alchemy boxset right now.

Last night's setup was:

Workshop
Gardens
Spy
Adventurer

Colony
Watchtower
Rabble
Vault
Goons
Expand

I was going to go with the standard Workshop/Gardens routine, but had played that way before and so we both decided to try something different.  What would have been another way to play this setup.  I tried to pickup some Vaults/Goons/Money and combo that, but it was really tough.  My wife grabbed a couple Rabbles and Goons and managed to totally destroy me with a big money setup.

Would love some thoughts on this as I am not very good at the strategy side of the game and we would both like to improve. 

Thanks!

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion on Strategy for This Game Setup
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 06:34:09 pm »

So this is tough because there is no village. However, I am confident that workshop/gardens is bad. I would open watchtower/silver, and get goons ASAP. Take goons over gold for a while, you want to be playing one every turn. Watchtower is good for topdecking your buys, and if you have an extra buy from goons, trashing a copper or curse but still get the goons point. It also draws 4 cards if you are hit by goons, but play goons if you can anyway. You will want to wait a while before greening, and you may want to go for gardens a bit at the end depending on what your deck looks like.

Also of note is that your kingdom has only 9 cards. Colony does not count as a kingdom card. You choose 10 kingdom cards, then decide whether to add Colony AND Platinum (they go together) by choosing a random kingdom card and checking if it is from prosperity.

doulos

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 06:39:21 pm »

Ahh sorry.  We had a Venture in there as well.  That was the 10th card.  My apologies.

I didn't consider how good Watchtower would work here.  Hmm.

Is the general idea that I use Goons to buy cheap cards like Curses/Copper, but then because I am buying them (gaining them as well) I can trash them and just keep the VP?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 07:34:08 pm »

Is the general idea that I use Goons to buy cheap cards like Curses/Copper, but then because I am buying them (gaining them as well) I can trash them and just keep the VP?

Yes. But you don't necessarily need to build your deck so that you're doing that all the time, it's just a nice trick to do whenever you can.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:35:19 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 07:43:08 pm »

What's the 10th kingdom card? You've only listed 9.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 07:47:41 pm »

It's Venture.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 08:00:31 pm »

It's Venture.

Somehow I completely missed that had already been asked. I should go to bed.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

SirClemens

• Navigator
  • A very creative personal text
  • Respect: +484
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 08:06:39 pm »

Would love some thoughts on this as I am not very good at the strategy side of the game and we would both like to improve. 

This should help you and your wife.
Also check out the Article Subforum.
Too bad Dominion doesn't have Gunpowder.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 11:51:43 pm »

This looks like rabbles + treasures, buying some goons if your opponent uses vaults. The reasoning would be that you just want to draw big hands of treasure here to buy platinum and then buy colonies using a few chosen terminal actions. Both rabble and vault can do that for you but goons counter vaults. Choosing between goons and rabble is more difficult. Generally smithy+treasure is slightly better than militia+treasure but you can factor in the rabble attack, ventures can clear the the rabble attack, +2 coins from goons isn't great for buying colonies, goons give vp, goons can score more with watchtowers, and gardens favor goons although gardens could be irrelevant. There's a lot going on so it's not an obvious choice between rabbles, goons, or a mix of both.

Ventures will be good but spies don't fit into any of the strategies. Expand could do a job it will probably not be good value compared to gold or other actions. Watchtowers could fit into a goons and vaults battle but you might want to wait and see if your opponent is really buying those cards.

doulos

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 06:16:19 pm »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.738 seconds with 21 queries.