Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Nocturne announced!  (Read 57578 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Nocturne announced!
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2017, 09:12:01 pm »

When did the 2nd editions come out. Between last year and this we have been getting a lot of Dominion.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2017, 03:59:32 pm »
+4

I just had a thought.  Why is there a separate card type for cards that hand out boons or hexes?

There was the Looter type to hand out Ruins, but there wasn't any special type to hand out Spoils.  The reason for this is that you need the Looter type to indicate when Ruins are in the supply.  In principle you can buy the Ruins as long as there is a Looter in the kingdom, even if you ignore the Looter.  On the other hand, Spoils are not in the supply.  So I would speculate that boons and hexes are cards in the supply, and not tokens.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2017, 04:36:00 pm »

It could be closer to the reason Gatherer has a card type, i.e. to smooth the interaction with some other mechanism that's being introduced.

Meanwhile, thinking about card types, if there are ever going to be cards of type Curse which aren't Curses, thematically Nocturne seems like the set for them. I used to reckon that would be too confusing, but then before Crown in Adventures that was also why I thought there would never be an Action-Treasure.

Loempiaverkoper

• Scout
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2017, 07:01:52 am »
+4

On the theme. The next is all my taste, you can share yours, but let's not fight over it.

I like the box art. I would love cards representing a tavern, the guy that light the streetlights, an observatory, night guards, drunks etc. I just hope the card art will be more visible than how some Dark Ages cards turned out. (i.e. procession)

The flavor text had me worried though. I really hope this is not a horror theme Dominion. I already was a bit annoyed by adventures having giants and trolls, but giants and trolls are still nice and medieval folklory. I really really hope there will not be werewolves, vampires and ghouls. And especially I would detest seeing zombies. It just clashes so much with the themes in Dominion so far imo.

I'd like to hear more opinions on this.

(btw, I love dominion primarily because of the game mechanics and a werewolf or vampire won't scare me away from a new expansion. I'd just be slightly annoyed be it)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2017, 09:36:26 am »
+5

It just clashes so much with the themes in Dominion so far imo.

We had witches from the very start, though. Alchemy, with its Golems, Familars and Scrying Pools at latest was were magic became a relevant part of Dominion canon. Seaside gave us ghosts, Adventures giants and trolls. Dark themes also appeared rather early with Intrigue's torturer, and Dark Ages added a lot more there. It's not like werewolves, vampires and ghouls weren't ideas present in medieval times, either. Perhaps the image we have of vampires nowadays is a bit more modern, but still, the myth existed even then.

Personally, I perceive "spooky" Dominion as far closer to usual Dominion than Empires' "ancient roman" theme, which wasn't medieval by a long shot (yes, I know parts of the roman empire lasted until the more-or-less middle ages, but those were not in Europe and didn't have much to do with what we see on the cards). I mean, if this was about Frankenstein, I'd share your concern, but I'm pretty sure they won't throw around anachronisms as badly as you seem to fear.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2017, 10:05:56 am »

Hasn't a lot of Dominion been about the renaissance anyway, not the middle ages? A lot of this type of horror culture started or got more widespread in Europe during that time period.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Loempiaverkoper

• Scout
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2017, 11:54:27 am »

Perhaps the image we have of vampires nowadays is a bit more modern, but still, the myth existed even then.
Yeah I think this is my issue with it. 100 years of Holywood have put vampires and werewolves in a whole other space of fantasy associations than witches trolls and alchemists. I now relate them more to a modern horror genre than to pre-industialisation folklore themes. Which is why it rubs wrong with me. No arguments are soon gonna change that taste I guess.

If these horror guys end up in Dominion I'll probably get over it, as long as they aren't drawn by the Harem artist ;)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2017, 12:14:02 pm »
+10

The theme of Dominion is a veneer only slightly thicker than graphene.  Trying to say that these cards don't fit thematically is a bit silly.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2017, 12:35:35 pm »
+1

The theme of Dominion is a veneer only slightly thicker than graphene.  Trying to say that these cards don't fit thematically is a bit silly.

Right. I mean, the range of eras represented by the cards is quite large. What cards best represent the two extreme ends of this range? Which is the most "primitive" card and which is the most "advanced?"

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2017, 12:40:37 pm »
+3

I'm still miffed we didn't get a Dagger Tester in Empires.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2017, 12:51:26 pm »
+10

And where's the Cheese Destroyer?

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2017, 12:53:57 pm »
+17

Right. I mean, the range of eras represented by the cards is quite large. What cards best represent the two extreme ends of this range? Which is the most "primitive" card and which is the most "advanced?"

Rocks.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2017, 02:21:21 pm »
+5

Dominate shows Vercingetorix laying his weapons down in front of Caesar, which happened 52 B.C. Be my guest to find the other extreme.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2017, 02:39:28 pm »

And where's the Cheese Destroyer?

Still waiting on the Cheese Destroyer.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2017, 03:06:18 pm »
+1

Dominate shows Vercingetorix laying his weapons down in front of Caesar, which happened 52 B.C. Be my guest to find the other extreme.

My first thought was Navigator, which features a sextant. I think that puts it somewhere in the late 17th or early 18th century.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2017, 03:25:56 pm »
+1

Catapults are attested from at least 400 BCE

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2017, 03:27:07 pm »
+1

I just had a thought.  Why is there a separate card type for cards that hand out boons or hexes?

There was the Looter type to hand out Ruins, but there wasn't any special type to hand out Spoils.  The reason for this is that you need the Looter type to indicate when Ruins are in the supply.  In principle you can buy the Ruins as long as there is a Looter in the kingdom, even if you ignore the Looter.  On the other hand, Spoils are not in the supply.  So I would speculate that boons and hexes are cards in the supply, and not tokens.

Just had this idea, what if boons and hexes are landscape card like things (like landmarks) that provide perks, or penalties to everyone, similar to Edicts from the fan card forums.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2017, 04:49:11 pm »
+4

Catapults are attested from at least 400 BCE

::) My point wasn't how far away from the medieval times Dominate could be, but how far away it must be. I think that's the more plausible approach when talking about anachronisms.

silby

• Swindler
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2017, 08:38:02 pm »
+2

All right. Heirlooms, we know they replace your coppers. They could be better than coppers, but they probably won't be that much better. They won't be worth $2, for instance. What do you do with coppers? You trash them, often enough. They probably won't do something when trashed, per se, because trashing won't be in every game, and probably playing with heirlooms should make a difference even in a game without trashing. I think they could be worth VP. A starting deck with 7 extra VP sounds nuts, but what if provinces split 5-3 because one player trashed two heirlooms and got $8 more often? But that still doesn't really "do" anything in a game with no trashing. Coppers that trash themselves aren't a good idea, without some further cost, and don't make sense with the name "Heirloom" I don't think. You want to keep an Heirloom. That's what I got. Stoked for the madness, like always.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2017, 08:52:10 pm »

Dagger Tester
Action-Reserve
$2

+1 Action
Put this on your Tavern mat.  Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck.  Put the revealed Victory cards in your hand, and put the rest back in any order.
--------------------
When another player plays an Attack card, you may trash this card.  If you do, you are unaffected by the Attack.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2017, 01:42:43 am »
+10

My first thought was Navigator, which features a sextant. I think that puts it somewhere in the late 17th or early 18th century.
If we're going by card art, I suggest Groundskeeper.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2017, 08:51:50 am »

All right. Heirlooms, we know they replace your coppers. They could be better than coppers, but they probably won't be that much better. They won't be worth $2, for instance. What do you do with coppers? You trash them, often enough. They probably won't do something when trashed, per se, because trashing won't be in every game, and probably playing with heirlooms should make a difference even in a game without trashing. I think they could be worth VP. A starting deck with 7 extra VP sounds nuts, but what if provinces split 5-3 because one player trashed two heirlooms and got $8 more often? But that still doesn't really "do" anything in a game with no trashing. Coppers that trash themselves aren't a good idea, without some further cost, and don't make sense with the name "Heirloom" I don't think. You want to keep an Heirloom. That's what I got. Stoked for the madness, like always.
So, why should all heirlooms be the same? The shelters are also different from each other ;)
This also sounds more like heirlooms. It's kinda strange to inherit 7 times the same thing apart from dishes. Oherwise the heirlooms are probably forks made out of silver, what about that? :D :D

EthanPKU

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2017, 12:32:08 pm »

So I've got another set to translate. Good news. Nocturne... hard to say in Japanese. How about Knockturn Alley?
I am also thinking about how to translate it into Chinese. Maybe:《皇舆争霸:夜幕降临》/《皇舆争霸:幽冥夜曲》/《领土:夜曲》.lol

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2017, 01:50:02 pm »

They could be better than coppers, but they probably won't be that much better. They won't be worth $2, for instance.
They won't all be. But there could easily be a mixture of better-than-Copper and worse-than-Copper.

Indeed, it remains to be seen whether Heirlooms will lead to a quicker start for the game or a slower. Maybe we don't even start with the same 7 Heirlooms each game? Maybe the Hierlooms don't replace all 7 Coppers. Maybe, when using Hierlooms, our starting deck isn't 10 cards any more.

There are a lot of possibilties. The one thing I really hope is that Heirlooms make the game less swingy on the initial shuffle rather than more. Even the current 5/2 v. 4/3 matters a lot on some boards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2017, 03:35:22 pm »

They could be better than coppers, but they probably won't be that much better. They won't be worth $2, for instance.
They won't all be. But there could easily be a mixture of better-than-Copper and worse-than-Copper.

Indeed, it remains to be seen whether Heirlooms will lead to a quicker start for the game or a slower. Maybe we don't even start with the same 7 Heirlooms each game? Maybe the Hierlooms don't replace all 7 Coppers. Maybe, when using Hierlooms, our starting deck isn't 10 cards any more.

There are a lot of possibilties. The one thing I really hope is that Heirlooms make the game less swingy on the initial shuffle rather than more. Even the current 5/2 v. 4/3 matters a lot on some boards.

I wonder how it will be balanced in terms of different starting hands. It's already the case that quite often 5/2 has an advantage over 4/3, but Heirlooms could easily make that problem way worse. Obviously Donald would have thought of that... which makes me wonder if they'll all be about as strong as Copper.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.