Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Scrying Pool vs. Pirate Ship  (Read 1551 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Scrying Pool vs. Pirate Ship
« on: February 13, 2012, 04:00:22 pm »

Here's a game I just won: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/13/game-20120213-125122-f90084ba.html

Scrying Pool makes me very nervous, as I don't consider myself very good with 'em. But my opponent opened Pirate Ship, and I figured that with him trashing some of my Coppers, Scrying Pool would be really strong here--plus there were good Actions to load up on, Native Village, Stables, Oracle, Smithy, and Cutpurse. No extra buy, though.

I got decently lucky in that most of his initial Pirate Ships miss entirely--of course, I was loading up on Actions, so I'm not sure that was unexpected. Anyway, everything goes according to plan, he knocks me down to just 3 Coppers, my Scrying Pools go great, I keep him under attack with Oracle and Cutpurse, and I score an easy win.

My question is this: If he hadn't opened Pirate Ship, should I have still bought Scrying Pool? Or done something fairly conventional with Stables, or Smithy/Big Money, or Oracle/Big Money?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

toaster

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
Re: Scrying Pool vs. Pirate Ship
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:45:52 pm »

I'm a big fan of Scrying pool, but without great trashing options or any +buy, I think a BM-ish deck beats Scrying pool here.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:44:17 am »

I like defending vs Pirate Ship, but usually you need some money producing cantrips (Peddler, Market, Bazaar etc) to do this properly.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Zem

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 06:37:44 am »

i'd say scrying pool needs +buys even more than trashers. Or at least some fairly strong attack cards. Or good cantrips.
So I would not have gone for scrying pools here.

On the other hand I think even big mony could win against pirate ship on this board with 2 players.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:18:10 am »

Interesting game!

i wonder if your opponent waited too long to start cashing in the pirate ships: I think with the concentration of ships he had there, he might have been better off just getting them to $4, as he only needed two activations to get a province. He probably could have done with a scrying pool or two himself as well
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.043 seconds with 20 queries.