Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Island deck ?  (Read 2422 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Island deck ?
« on: February 10, 2012, 01:32:06 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/10/game-20120210-102521-5af853d3.html : duchy version
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/10/game-20120210-103913-55905bcc.html : colony version

The idea : trash down to 6/7 cards, buy an Island and a duchy/colony each turn and put them on your island mat.
Do you think it is a viable strategy ?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:41:21 pm by brokoli »

toaster

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
Re: Island deck ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 01:52:19 pm »

22 turns to get all 8 colonies (and 18 to get 4) is really slow for a Chapel game.  Without something else to accelerate it it's a bust, and with more of an engine it's likely the the Islands aren't worth worrying about.

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 11:39:44 pm »

This could work quite well with Ironworks.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 11:58:49 pm »

I think IW/Island should work pretty well with no other support. Similar to IW/Gardens except the Islands won't be worth as much as gardens (likely), but the +1 card/action, as well as the islanding, should actually make it a touch faster.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 12:15:40 am »

Very cute idea.  I'm a fan, just wish it worked faster, but unforunately not. 

But you can see its susceptible on turn 17 in non-WV hands (granted had opportunities to buy more, so that's not a huge worry).  More importantly, hand reductions and masq really mess this up.  Then Island itself is a limited resource.

It'd be cool if it could be vamped up to a idea similar to golden deck though

Like in the colony, with peddler there, you probably can speed up the process a turn or two, (platinum/gold/gold/peddler*n)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 08:06:30 am »

I think IW/Island should work pretty well with no other support. Similar to IW/Gardens except the Islands won't be worth as much as gardens (likely), but the +1 card/action, as well as the islanding, should actually make it a touch faster.

Yes, Here the idea is to pull off a golden deck variant. Ironworks/Island is pretty good in almost all kind of decks.

22 turns to get all 8 colonies (and 18 to get 4) is really slow for a Chapel game.  Without something else to accelerate it it's a bust, and with more of an engine it's likely the the Islands aren't worth worrying about.

18 turns to get 4 colonies seems reasonable for me, and there is also the VP from Island... I'm a novice, but according to simulations, a simple chapel mirror match (in colony game) end after 22/23 turns...

Rising Jaguar : You're right, I haven't played optimally...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 09:25:04 am »

Yes, Here the idea is to pull off a golden deck variant. Ironworks/Island is pretty good in almost all kind of decks.

18 turns to get 4 colonies seems reasonable for me, and there is also the VP from Island... I'm a novice, but according to simulations, a simple chapel mirror match (in colony game) end after 22/23 turns...

Simple chapel/BM is pretty bad...

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 10:53:42 am »

Pretty sure the point wasn't for you to play optimally but to play basically to show.  Just trying to brainstorm other ideas.  But yeah chapel/BM isn't the enemy here.  It's not even smithy/BM.  It's Chapel/Worker's village possible engines.  Which is pretty tough competition IMO. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.322 seconds with 20 queries.