Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mint/Warehouse/Island/Duchess - can any part of this be called a combo?  (Read 838 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120213-200042-9d0d71e1.html

Here I built an engine that was really kicking for a while - it felt like for a bit every turn I was gaining a Gold AND buying a Province. However, it did start to clog badly and without Island it probably would have been a bust.  And if I hadn't bought that one Duchess it would have been much harder to get rid of (more or less) all my coppers with Mint, which is definitely what made the whole thing work.  It was so smooth I want there to be a less-than-four-card combo at play, but I don't know. What do you all think?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
Re: Mint/Warehouse/Island/Duchess - can any part of this be called a combo?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 03:50:35 pm »

My thoughts, for what they are worth:

The core combo appears to be Mint/Warehouse/+$2 action.  The goal is to use Warehouse to line up a 4-card hand of three Coppers and your +$2 action, so you can buy Mint to good use (trashing 3 Coppers a pop) without having to wait for a lucky 5-Copper hand and without having to give up a Silver.  Do this twice and you are good to go. 

Duchess worked here because you happened to have a $2 hand early, but any other cheap action source of +$2 would also work.  Perhaps the optimal 4/3 opening for this strategy on this board was Warehouse/Fortune Teller. 

The Islands were helpful sifting, but you could probably have still made the combo work without them - just buy an extra Warehouse instead. 

Ultimately, you're running something akin to Chapel/BM, but with built-in sifting and treasure gaining that happens concurrent with your greening.  And so is less apt to choke endgame (but again, a single Warehouse by itself probably isn't enough sifting late-game).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.624 seconds with 21 queries.