Miscellaneous > Other Games

Escape the Room

<< < (2/3) > >>

Skumpy:
Just did one for my first time - highly recommend them to everybody here. Based on general escape room reviews, I think ours was on the cheaper and more poorly produced end of the spectrum, but if that was one of the worse ones out there, that bodes very well for me doing and enjoying more in the future.

We made it out with 12 minutes to spare after using 2 of 3 hints, which apparently is excellent even though I felt like we (and mostly me) were garbage, though I made my key contributions here and there. Definitely would love to do more.

GendoIkari:
I did a non-professional one of these at BGG.con a couple years ago. I didn't have that much fun mostly due to the fact that it was an 8 person group; and the room was designed to need 8 people all working on different things; individually or in subgroups; at the same time. So one person would solve a puzzle while I was doing something else; and I would have no idea what the puzzle was. By the end, I'd spent most of the time working on one thing that turned out to be a red herring, while the rest of the group dealt with all sorts of clues that I never even got to see.

I think I would have liked it if it was designed for a group of 2-4 people all working together on each thing st the same time. You know. Like T.I.M.E. Stories.

Witherweaver:
I did one in NYC that had a cool theme.  It was a dungeon, and we were all monks or something, with robes and hoods.  We all started with the hoods over our eyes (so we couldn't see anything) and trapped (one chained up with one of those boards over the neck and arms, and the others in locked cells).  It was set up like an old torture dungeon.  The entire thing was dark but there were a number of small (electrical) candles you could find.  You had to search around for the clues to unlock each door.

We had four people (I think it could have fit five) and ended up making it out with about five minutes to spare.

Edit: To clarify, there were a number of rooms you had to go through, so it wasn't just getting out of the cells and chains.  Once we were all free, then we had to go and find the clues to unlock the first door, which led to another room, which you had to solve, and so on.

Dsell:
I work for an escape room company doing marketing! Tomorrow's actually my last day. But anyway, I'm an enthusiast. I've done 19 rooms, mostly around Oklahoma where I live. It's not a cheap hobby, and you gotta get friends to do it, but I love it. My favorite rooms are immersive, have good stories, and obviously clever puzzles are a must. Once you've played a lot of rooms (and worked in the industry), you start to see a lot of common puzzles and design elements, but the industry is still young and lots of rooms still manage to surprise me.

If you haven't tried an in-person escape room, it's a really fun experience for most tabletop gamers!

hhelibebcnofnena:
Is it a win if time runs out after you solve the final puzzle and get the key, but before you actually use it to unlock the door? If the theme is a submarine running out of oxygen, is the qualification based on whether you can hold your breath for the extra three to five seconds?

If that counts as a successful escape, then I have escaped from 3 and failed 2. If it counts as a fail, I have failed 3 and escaped from 2. I personally count it as a successful escape, because there were no more puzzles to solve, and we could all hold our breath for 3 to 5 seconds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version