Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ill-Gotten Gains vs. Alchemist  (Read 1958 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Ill-Gotten Gains vs. Alchemist
« on: February 03, 2012, 02:39:30 pm »

I got beat on this set: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/03/game-20120203-113310-0544f036.html

I figured (correctly, I think) that the Alchemist route would be too slow to beat Ill-Gotten Gains.  I'm not sure, however, that Alchemist + Governor + King's Court is too slow for Ill-Gotten Gains.  In this case I lost, but it was close.  I'm not sure if my opponent just got lucky getting to the King's Court fairly early and consistently drawing a Potion.  Thoughts?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
Re: Ill-Gotten Gains vs. Alchemist
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 04:15:18 pm »

I can't see anything particularly wrong with your play. You probably should have opened Bridge/Silver instead of Silver/Silver as you were buying one later anyways, but that's going to have a pretty marginal effect on the game. Your opponent was lucky to pick up a Governor and Alchemist on turns 3/4 and then to draw them together on turn 6 and trash an Estate into a Potion thus ensuring he'll hit his Potions for Alchemists more often. I don't love his strategy, but tactically he plays the game very well. This might be a question for the simulators or wiser players than myself, but personally I'd say he played a marginal strategy and had nice shuffle luck.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 04:54:38 pm »

Cutpurse/silver is really strong against an alchemist opponent. It's surprising how much tempo is lost from one 3 copper+potion hand getting turned into 2 copper + potion. Other than that the black market looks full of goodies that your opponent didn't actually need. His draws were good.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 02:15:54 pm »

Not opening Cutpurse seems like an enormous mistake (enormous instead of "whatever" as it's the only terminal he'll need/want the entire game anyway (Bridge seems like.. a Silver here? which you can draw dead with Cellar), and it's obviously very good in the first few turns).

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 12:18:40 pm »

Cutpurse/silver is really strong against an alchemist opponent. It's surprising how much tempo is lost from one 3 copper+potion hand getting turned into 2 copper + potion. Other than that the black market looks full of goodies that your opponent didn't actually need. His draws were good.

Cutpurse is also very good against an IGG opponent, too!  And it's a great opener with IGG, which really just wants a Silver/Silver-equivalent opening anyway, the extra attack guaranteed to hit money is a big boost.  I'd go so far as to say Cutpurse > Militia in IGG games.

Governor and King's Court do potentially change the calculus.  But with no real Curse-trashing options, Cutpurse/Silver into IGG rush is probably the right move here.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.