Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 262218 times)

DaveColMD

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: leafyscreen
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #1000 on: July 22, 2022, 12:09:32 pm »

How about this for nasty - Barbarian and Knights. Barbarian turning everything into something that can be trashed by knights.

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: July 22, 2022, 03:45:20 pm »

How about this for nasty - Barbarian and Knights. Barbarian turning everything into something that can be trashed by knights.
This is wrong on two levels. First, there is no interaction. Second, Barbarian can downgrade cards below or above the Coin range that is relevant for Knights.

Just because a Knight can trash a Barbarian (and vice-versa) without the Knights’ usual retaliatory trashing coming into play doesn’t mean the interplay of downgrading and then trashing isn’t a factor.

Sure, technically Barbarian will downgrade things out of Knights’ range, but although Dave’s statement is technically incorrect, the opponent is usually worse off gaining a $2 than losing a card outright.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: July 24, 2022, 05:26:27 pm »
+2

There are only few cheap Actions (Poor House, Beggar) that hurt you

Any terminal Action card you don't have space for in your deck is going to hurt you.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1003 on: July 24, 2022, 05:32:15 pm »

Any terminal Action card you don't have space for in your deck is going to hurt you.

And so is any stop card Action.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: July 25, 2022, 09:37:10 am »

this implies that you should go for knights almost every game

joefarebrother

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: joefarebrother
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: July 25, 2022, 11:31:19 am »

silver -> copper is worse than silver -> nothing
I don't want copper in my deck

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: July 26, 2022, 01:10:41 pm »
+2

Way of the Turtle makes Guard Dog's reaction rather useful against discard attacks. It sets itself aside so that, a Militia attack, for example, against a 5-card hand with one Guard Dog only ends up forcing you to discard one card, and then at the start of your turn, you've basically got a Lab effect
They/them

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: July 26, 2022, 04:13:46 pm »
+2

Way of the Turtle makes Guard Dog's reaction rather useful against discard attacks. It sets itself aside so that, a Militia attack, for example, against a 5-card hand with one Guard Dog only ends up forcing you to discard one card, and then at the start of your turn, you've basically got a Lab effect
Or Scheme 2 Horse Traders every turn. That’s how we used to do it, and it was good enough for us. Didn’t need any fancy sideways cards or 2nd editions.
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: July 27, 2022, 02:04:17 am »

And so is any stop card Action.

what is a stop card action?
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: July 27, 2022, 04:24:15 am »
+1

One that doesn't draw cards.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: July 28, 2022, 02:54:33 pm »

This one was really neat, but would be very hard to replicate as it has so many necessary parts.  But if u get a donate, collection, altar, trail, inventor, hunting lodge board you can do this.

This was one of the better turn 7 wins I've seen.  While he technically didn't end it on t 7.  This game was over t 7.  Early on when he gained a villa over trails n stuff I thought "why is he doing that?  That seems kinda dumb.  I was very very wrong.

Really impressive.  Props to PopperMcgee for whipping my ass.  :o

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 01:28:14 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

joefarebrother

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: joefarebrother
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: July 30, 2022, 09:11:24 am »
+1

Galleria + Masterpiece + Triumph

Overpay a big masterpiece to get a ton of buys, then buy a bunch of coppers (or curses if it helps a pile out), followed by a triumph for lots of points.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: July 30, 2022, 02:37:27 pm »
+3

Trail + Replace + Harem

Trail + Replace is already a nice combo. Trashing a Trail with Replace is already non-terminal and can get you good cards, not to mention being able to turn your Estates into Trails. But add Harem, and you can now Curse your opponent while gaining a Harem, for a 3 point swing, and it's non-terminal!
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: July 31, 2022, 01:42:57 pm »

Death Cart + Collection + Way of the Horse. Effectively 3 Horses + 3 VP per Collection in play for $4!
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: July 31, 2022, 01:56:02 pm »
+1

Death Cart + Collection + Way of the Horse. Effectively 3 Horses + 3 VP per Collection in play for $4!

My opponent resigned early on, but I was curious how high I could get the score, so I continued with a bot game. Final score:

Each turn, once I had all the Collections, was just playing every Action card as Horse, then buying 5 Death Carts (bringing 10 Ruins) + 4 Border Guards = 19 Action cards at 10 VP each = 190 points per turn!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 02:01:56 pm by mxdata »
They/them

vidicate

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: July 31, 2022, 03:16:02 pm »

Trail + Replace + Harem

Trail + Replace is already a nice combo. Trashing a Trail with Replace is already non-terminal and can get you good cards, not to mention being able to turn your Estates into Trails. But add Harem, and you can now Curse your opponent while gaining a Harem, for a 3 point swing, and it's non-terminal!

And if you’re playing a casual, home game, you might even draw the topdecked Harem with the “trashed” Trail. Fun times, even if not correct.
-----
-----

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 05, 2022, 01:16:01 pm »

My opponent resigned early on, but I was curious how high I could get the score, so I continued with a bot game. Final score:

Each turn, once I had all the Collections, was just playing every Action card as Horse, then buying 5 Death Carts (bringing 10 Ruins) + 4 Border Guards = 19 Action cards at 10 VP each = 190 points per turn!

This is just bonkers.  How could the opponent let you get 10 collections on this board?  ;D ;D

FYI I figured out a way around this annoyingly huge screenshot problem.  It's pretty easy using awesomescreenshot.  Under annotate you just resize to like 1000-300 width and it will autoscale the height.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 01:24:31 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 05, 2022, 01:26:09 pm »

doh.  I call em terminals.  I was thinking like stopping the opponent through an action a la warlord or archer

vidicate

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 05, 2022, 01:42:43 pm »

doh.  I call em terminals.  I was thinking like stopping the opponent through an action a la warlord or archer

A terminal and a stop card aren’t the same. Native Village and Gold are both stop cards, while also both being non-terminal. And on the other hand neither Moat nor Merchant are stop cards, even if one is terminal and one is not. Terminality is a key characteristic of cards useful in any discussion. “Stop card” is a phrase mostly relevant in discussing engines. I used to not care about what a stop card was, content to leaving it to MtG elitists (my POV at the time) from which these terms (like Cantrip) come from. But now I’m very much one of them :P ;D
-----
-----

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: August 05, 2022, 02:14:58 pm »

A terminal and a stop card aren’t the same. Native Village and Gold are both stop cards, while also both being non-terminal. And on the other hand neither Moat nor Merchant are stop cards, even if one is terminal and one is not. Terminality is a key characteristic of cards useful in any discussion. “Stop card” is a phrase mostly relevant in discussing engines. I used to not care about what a stop card was, content to leaving it to MtG elitists (my POV at the time) from which these terms (like Cantrip) come from. But now I’m very much one of them :P ;D

Yeah cantrip really includes the +1 card thing, but yeah for cards like NV, merchant camp coven etc I can see this being a useful term.  Thanks.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: August 05, 2022, 11:48:30 pm »

This is just bonkers.  How could the opponent let you get 10 collections on this board?  ;D ;D

FYI I figured out a way around this annoyingly huge screenshot problem.  It's pretty easy using awesomescreenshot.  Under annotate you just resize to like 1000-300 width and it will autoscale the height.

I'd only had three Collections at the point where my opponent resigned, so the other seven were picked up while playing against Lord Rattington's strategic brilliance :)
They/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1021 on: August 12, 2022, 02:49:32 pm »
+9

When Way of the Mouse has an Attack set aside, Urchin can activate by itself without needing to connect with anything by playing it as the Mouse.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: August 15, 2022, 07:23:55 pm »
+2

2/5 opening with Inheritance and Desperation - bought Inheritance on Turn 2! Even more useful, Ratcatcher happened to be in the kingdom, making the Curse very easy to deal with
They/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1023 on: August 30, 2022, 09:01:10 am »
+4

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: August 30, 2022, 11:32:08 am »
+4

2/5 opening with Inheritance and Desperation - bought Inheritance on Turn 2! Even more useful, Ratcatcher happened to be in the kingdom, making the Curse very easy to deal with

My best was Baker/Borrow/Inheritance/Tournament. Opened Inherit/Province and managed to get a T3 Followers before they resigned.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.