Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 265985 times)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #1075 on: April 07, 2023, 05:19:38 pm »

Reckless Trait cards stack with "play twice" and "play three times" effects. I used King's Cache on a Reckless Bank to play it six times for $66, and had enough buys to buy all 8 Provinces.

Just imagine a reckless possession/kings court(s) combo.  You might be able to sneak a nap in before your next turn if they don't end it first.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: April 28, 2023, 11:27:11 pm »

Neat combo here.  Tactician and Way of the Owl with a Weaver in hand.discard your hand and draw 6 more cards.  If you have + actions it's basically a free tactician turn and if you don't you at least can use the coins to buys stuff/get nights in play on your often worthless leg of the tactician turn.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 11:28:45 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: June 07, 2023, 06:53:17 pm »
+2

This one was really kind of neat, although an extreme edge case.  If you gain a Siren with a Sheepdog in hand and you are at the end of your draw pile you can gain it without trashing if the Siren ends up Being one of the 2 cards that you draw. triggering a reshuffle.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 11:15:14 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: June 08, 2023, 11:14:43 am »
+4

This one was really kind of neat, although an extreme edge case.  If you gain a Siren with a Sheepdog in hand and you are at the end of your draw pile you can gain it without trashing if the Siren ends up Being one of the 2 cards that you draw.

I was wondering if it mattered whether you actually draw the Siren there, and it's easier than that. I just tested it online, and this works whenever the Sheepdog makes you shuffle the gained Siren into your deck--that's where the Siren loses track of itself. You don't have to draw the Siren from the Sheepdog effect, just shuffle the Siren into your deck with the Sheepdog effect.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: June 26, 2023, 12:36:22 pm »
+3

Cultist / Way of the Mule. It's very handy to play a chain of Cultists for draw and then use the last one as Way of the Mule to make the sequence nonterminal.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: June 26, 2023, 09:40:13 pm »
+1

Also works with Frog, Ox or Pig.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: June 27, 2023, 12:17:45 am »
+2

Also works with Frog, Ox or Pig.

True, though Pig nerfs Cultist enough that it might not be worth it.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1350
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: August 18, 2023, 11:53:03 pm »
+2

Had a game with Weaver + Way of the Squirrel + a discard attack (in this case Margrave). Weaver proved an interesting partial counter to discard attacks (this would also work with Village Green and Trail) - when I'm forced to discard a Weaver from my hand, I can play it as Squirrel, and at the end of my opponent's turn, draw back 2 cards. Or if I discarded more than one Weaver, even more cards. Thus turning the discard attack into a sifter
They/them

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: August 21, 2023, 03:14:59 pm »
+5

Marquis+(some kind of Village)+WotChameleon

Each Marquis gives +$10

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: August 24, 2023, 08:20:48 am »

Another good combo is                  SCOUT 
 and NOTHING (not even moat)
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: August 24, 2023, 03:08:46 pm »

My opponent has more loot than me

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1350
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: September 12, 2023, 04:45:23 am »
+5

Reckless Scheme is incredibly strong. You get +2 Cards +2 Actions when you play it. Then you get to topdeck two Action cards - which can include itself (thus avoiding going back to its pile) plus one other Action card. Get multiple Schemes and you can basically start each turn with the same hand
They/them

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: September 12, 2023, 09:40:09 am »
+6

Ironically "reckless scheme" is much more reliable, safe, and consistent than an ordinary scheme

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: September 13, 2023, 10:45:21 am »
+2

If I have $6 and Guildhall and Travelling fair is on the board, I can topdeck 4 coppers to guarantee a province next turn.

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: September 14, 2023, 02:19:53 pm »

There are many Tactician combos, so this is maybe obvious or probably in this thread somewhere, but Tactician plus Gamble on the Tactician you just bought can be pretty nice.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: September 14, 2023, 02:26:07 pm »

There are many Tactician combos, so this is maybe obvious or probably in this thread somewhere, but Tactician plus Gamble on the Tactician you just bought can be pretty nice.
Yeah, Tactician in the buy phase in general, really.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: September 27, 2023, 05:05:14 pm »
+1

For those that don't want to waste a turn to get their Landing Parties back, I just rolled a board with Landing Part and Hasty on a treasure card (Cauldron). Just pay $5 to get them all back next turn (along with $2 and a buy), which was very much worth it.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: October 05, 2023, 05:41:45 pm »

Not sure if this counts, but I think it should. I'm just gonna put it here anyway. But Launch with any terminal will allow you to get two actions before the terminal.  Sometimes this might be useful if u need two actions to play like a possession and a tactician for e.g.  But it really shines in games with cards like Margrave or Hunting grounds etc.

One bonus super sweet interaction in a similar vein is Launch and Swamp Shacks.  Especially if you already have an engine that is humming, getting all of your treasures into play before you launch and then playing your swamp shacks can really set off an engine in a maor way.

Snorka

• Baron
  • he/him or they/them- no preference
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: October 06, 2023, 12:44:56 am »
+1

Sculptor gaining Gondola is a nice village on a board with no others. Won me a game.

DaveColMD

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: leafyscreen
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: November 01, 2023, 01:07:56 pm »

Fated Collection with Border Village, Laboratory and other useful 5 cards and useful cheaper actions. Some actions had $.

Unfortunately I don't remember specifically what the other cards were, but the guts of it is the Border Village, Laboratory and Fated Collection. It was also a Colony game.

Anyway, I got up to 3 Collections. At first I thought I was getting lucky shuffles to get all 3 Collections in my hand. Then I realized what was happening.

Anyway, once I realized what was up, with 4 buys, I would buy Border Village, get a Laboratory, then buy another action or 2, or get 2 Border Villages and 2 other actions.
I was always able to get at least 3 actions for 9 points.

Good for 12 points a turn. I also picked up the occasional colony.

Ended up with 54 victory point tokens. Would have been more if I realized the gold mine it was earlier.

Lotoreo

• Baron
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: November 22, 2023, 04:50:06 am »
+1

Had plenty of coins, but I didnt draw that plus buy I would have needed to threepile with duchy. I already had to gain all but 2 during the turn, counting on that buy I didnt get. Then as my last action a black market let me buy border village, and I could buy the second last duchy that way. Never had this lucky a BM draw!

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: November 23, 2023, 11:31:04 am »
+2

Gamble+Stockpile is even more OP with bank. After getting too many buys, I can buy a bunch of coppers and gamble into them and then buy a couple banks and gamble into them then empty the colonies

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: November 28, 2023, 12:22:14 pm »

Had plenty of coins, but I didnt draw that plus buy I would have needed to threepile with duchy. I already had to gain all but 2 during the turn, counting on that buy I didnt get. Then as my last action a black market let me buy border village, and I could buy the second last duchy that way. Never had this lucky a BM draw!

This might be one of the edgiest cases to qualify for this thread.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: November 28, 2023, 12:23:21 pm »

Gamble+Stockpile is even more OP with bank. After getting too many buys, I can buy a bunch of coppers and gamble into them and then buy a couple banks and gamble into them then empty the colonies

This is amazing. 8)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 16, 2023, 02:28:17 am »
+2

It's definitely gonna be a rare combo to hit, but it is pretty crazy that a Lurker can pull a Spell Scroll from the trash.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45  All

Page created in 1.848 seconds with 20 queries.