Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Vineyards game - general questions  (Read 1331 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
Vineyards game - general questions
« on: February 09, 2012, 03:03:55 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/08/game-20120208-235626-b21ac13a.html

So I thought I was losing this game up until it ended, and I discovered I was pretty far ahead. I was really surprised by how powerful my Vineyards turned out to be.

That said, not at all sure I played it optimally. Between Great Halls, Workshops, and Fishing Villages (which allowed me to play more Workshops and also combo'd really nicely with the Margraves I managed to pick up) I honestly wasn't sure which action piles to go for. Should I have bought money at some point or was it the right call to use all possible buys on actions? Should I have bought Estate over Copper with $2s? Should I have grabbed a Remodel to turn my Estates and my Potion into actions?

What do y'all think?

EDIT: Here's another one, very similar, in that I thought I was losing and I won. This time I lost the Vineyard split too, but just went nuts with Talisman. Is Vineyards just that good?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/09/game-20120209-001402-7a5ab7a2.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:16:07 am by jotheonah »
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Vineyards game - general questions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 04:17:07 am »

With Fishing Village around, it was probably the right call to skip money. They're almost as good at generating coin as silver; $1 this turn and $1 the next isn't as good as $2 now, but since you never have any intent on getting to $8 for provinces,  or even $6 for gold, that's entirely okay. They enable the workshop spam and help your vineyards - FV>Silver here.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 04:31:56 am »
+1

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/08/game-20120208-235626-b21ac13a.html

So I thought I was losing this game up until it ended, and I discovered I was pretty far ahead. I was really surprised by how powerful my Vineyards turned out to be.

That said, not at all sure I played it optimally. Between Great Halls, Workshops, and Fishing Villages (which allowed me to play more Workshops and also combo'd really nicely with the Margraves I managed to pick up) I honestly wasn't sure which action piles to go for. Should I have bought money at some point or was it the right call to use all possible buys on actions? Should I have bought Estate over Copper with $2s? Should I have grabbed a Remodel to turn my Estates and my Potion into actions?

What do y'all think?

I don't understand why you bought Copper. Higher treasure you might want in a Vineyard-game, but I think not in this one. There is FV, Caravan, GH, Workshop, maybe Remodel to grab just with the Workshops, you got 9 Fishing Village, so there is no risk of terminal collision. You get the actions you want from Workshop (actually of course Labs would be nice, but giving all the Workshops floating around they are probably hard to get, except maybe with Remodel), you get the Victorycards you want just with the Potion. So a deck with as less money as possible seems like a reasonable idea.
I would not take Estates (for long) either. There are a lot of other piles to finish in case you want to end the game, and with 5 Vineyards each action is on average worth 5/3VPs, that's nearly twice of an Estate. And they help you in your deck. Each Copper/Estate in your hand is a say Workshop you can't play, and thus 5/3 VPs you don't get.

There are lots of interesting cards here, I don't really now to play it optimally, but the only cards I want to get here (when I win the VY split, next to VY and Potions) are FV, WS, GH, Caravan, maybe Remodel, and, if I happen to have $5 Margrave and Lab. Remodel Estates->Caravans.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 09:27:22 am »

You can go about this particular game two ways.  Aim for $5 cards right away (because they are quite strong here, mainly margrave's attack and +buy combined).  The +buy is sooooooooooo important here to buy vineyards without slowing yourself down.  To aim for the $5 cards, you'd probably need to start silver/FV.

The other way would be to get remodel/FV.  It's probably super important to grab a remodel at some point, estates aren't important here.  The $4 and even $3 cards here are strong.  (caravan, fishing village, workshop). 

So two things to consider, don't open potion for vineyards.  One it's detrimental to your deck obviously, for the early potion and early vineyards.  That's quite obvious.  The benefit of going vineyards is that you get to load up on actions, allow yourself to do that.  The second thing is that it may hide the fact you are going vineyards (which is subtly important).  The better the player though, the less likely it'll be though. 

Focus on getting cantrips.  Which you do really well in the first game, not so fond of the talisman/nobles briggand stuff.  Especially in an ambassador setting.  Since cantrips are so vital to both ambassador and vineyards, i'm sure the key was to win the ambassador war, then go off on to stockpiling actions.  Talismans can come into play AFTER all that. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.