Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19  All

Author Topic: Math Games  (Read 60480 times)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Math Games
« Reply #300 on: February 13, 2017, 07:31:13 pm »

THREAD LOCKED

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 13, 2017, 07:34:38 pm »

(I think I locked all the QT's too, but if I didn't please pretend like it's locked.

PM's will be coming in the next half hour or so.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 13, 2017, 08:09:03 pm »

PM's have been sent.  Let me know if you did not get one and you should have.  Also, let me know if you can't see which squares are blue, it didn't come out looking super clear.

Submissions for which coin to flip are due by 8:30pm tomorrow.  Please make it as unambiguous as possible which coin you would like to flip.  (If you don't specify some other interpretation, I will interpret a Letter-Number submission in standard chess notation, with A at the left and 8 at the top.)  If you don't submit something by deadline I may prod you or I may just flip a random coin for you.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 14, 2017, 08:37:19 pm »

PM's have been sent to the player B's.  Please let me know if you should have received one and did not.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 14, 2017, 08:38:57 pm »

Deadline will be 9pm tomorrow (Wednesday), but that will probably be a pretty soft deadline because I think I'm going to do a short break (24 hours or so) before the beginning of next game.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2017, 09:00:34 pm »

THREAD UNLOCKED

Results coming shortly.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 15, 2017, 09:01:09 pm »

exciting

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2017, 09:02:46 pm »

UmbrageOfSnow, LaLight: -7
faust, GendoIkari: -7
Calamitas, gkrieg13: +12
2.71828..., pacovf: -7
Dylan32, schadd: -7
sudgy, Axxle, liopoil: +12

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 15, 2017, 09:07:36 pm »

UmbrageOfSnow, LaLight

T H T T H H H T
H T H T H H T H
H H T T T T T T
H H T T T H H T
T H H T T H H H
H T H T H H T H
H H H H H H H H
H T T H T H H H

GendoIkari, faust

H T T H H H T T
H H H H T H T H
T T H T H H H T
T H H H H T T T
T H T H T T T T
H H T T T T T T
H T H H T T H H
H H T H H H T T

Calamitas, gkrieg13

H T T H T T T T
H T H H T T T H
H T T T T H H H
H T T T T T T H
H H T H T T T H
T H T H T T H H
T H T H T T H H
T H T T T T H T

2.71828..., pacovf

T H T H T H H H
T H H H T T T T
H H T T T H H T
H T H T H H H H
T T T T T H H T
T T T T H H T T
T T T H H T H T
H H H T H T T H

Dylan32, schadd

H H H H T H H H
H T T T T T H H
H T H T H T T H
T T H T T H H H
T H H T T T T H
H H H T H T H T
T H H T T H H H
T H T H H H H H

sudgy, Axxle, liopoil

H T T T T T H T
T H T H T H H T
H T H H T T T H
T H H H H H H T
T T T T H H H H
T H H H T H T H
T H T H T T T H
H H T T H T T H

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 15, 2017, 09:11:37 pm »

@scott: is there a solution?

Yes (it felt unfair to say that during the game).  See team Axudgpoil's QT (or team Calamikrieg but they "cheated").

A friend gave me this problem a long time ago (and heavily implied that there was a solution), and I was never able to figure it out.  I thought maybe if I presented it as a competition to a bunch of really smart people someone could get me the answer.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 15, 2017, 09:11:52 pm »

haha nice googling gkrieg :P

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 15, 2017, 09:15:31 pm »

I feel like I was frustratingly close.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 15, 2017, 09:20:44 pm »

Wait, can you say what each group guessed? I guessed B1, which was a blue tile, shouldn't 2.7 and I get 3 points?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 15, 2017, 09:22:59 pm »

Wait, can you say what each group guessed? I guessed B1, which was a blue tile, shouldn't 2.7 and I get 3 points?
It looks to me like B1 is a colorless heads. A2, on the other hand, is blue.

EDIT: B1 was blue on Dylan and Schadd's board too.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:26:17 pm by liopoil »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 15, 2017, 09:23:44 pm »

Rules for game 4 will go up tomorrow evening sometime (and the thread will be locked then).  Thread will remain unlocked until then.

Also, players are encouraged to check over their own score in the OP at the end of each game to make sure I didn't mess anything up.  As of right now that is the only place I am tracking total scores (though I realize that that's probably going to be a bad idea in the long-run, so I'll try to keep better track).

I'd also just like to say that even though I don't usually respond, I do enjoy reading players' thought processes when they PM me.  My lack of response is a time thing, not a disinterest thing.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 15, 2017, 09:27:44 pm »

Yeah, this is why I wanted people to be as clear as possible.  You said B1 and you also said "starting from the bottom left, the second tile from the bottom".  Reading that now I realize I should have asked for clarification, but I thought you meant "second tile on the bottom" (moving left to right), which is where B1 was.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 15, 2017, 09:32:23 pm »

Yeah, this is why I wanted people to be as clear as possible.  You said B1 and you also said "starting from the bottom left, the second tile from the bottom".  Reading that now I realize I should have asked for clarification, but I thought you meant "second tile on the bottom" (moving left to right), which is where B1 was.

I realize now that the naming scheme e and I decided on in our quicktopic is actually inverted from yours, and I didn't realize it when you posted about it on topic. I  most definitely meant the A2 tile (going by your convention, rather than his). Dunno, I guess I could also have been more explicit.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 15, 2017, 09:33:31 pm »

weoooo go team!!!
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 15, 2017, 09:33:38 pm »

I apologize for this, it doesn't feel right to not give you the points, but it feels even more unfair to the other players to take points away from them because of that.  If it's unanimous I'll re-score as if you submitted the move you intended to (I don't expect it to be unanimous though).  If anyone PM's me (I'll keep it anonymous) asking me not to re-score then I'll leave the scoring as is.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 15, 2017, 09:37:09 pm »

I apologize for this, it doesn't feel right to not give you the points, but it feels even more unfair to the other players to take points away from them because of that.  If it's unanimous I'll re-score as if you submitted the move you intended to (I don't expect it to be unanimous though).  If anyone PM's me (I'll keep it anonymous) asking me not to re-score then I'll leave the scoring as is.

Yeah, I understand, don't worry. Sorry, e :(

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 15, 2017, 09:39:53 pm »

I kind of want to know what square LaLight guessed too.

Although it was only a 25%, I'm curious.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 15, 2017, 09:40:49 pm »

Ok wow, the link gkrieg found gets to the answer in a much less roundabout way than I did. That's a really good puzzle.

Also, I was totally considering spilling the beans in this thread for all the teams before scott fixed the issue. That was pretty slick.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 15, 2017, 09:42:04 pm »

I also wanted to respond to this post:

/out for the next game.

I am sure I will regret it, but they are coming a bit too fast for me to be able to spend the required time to think them through. Maybe it would be different if we were told in advance what the next game is going to be.

I'm having a bit of a hard time keeping up with it too, and I'm considering changing default deadlines to 48 hours instead of 24 hours.  I think taking a 24-hour break after each game is something that I will probably make a habit of in general.  That also gives people some time to talk about the previous game, especially if communication was prohibited.

Announcing games in advance isn't really possible for most of the games though, because a lot of them need to prohibit communication (at least for the beginning of the game), and a lot of them are in rough draft form until just before I post the rules.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 15, 2017, 09:44:09 pm »

I assumed the solution would have something to do with parity, but I didn't have enough time to think about it during the three days (very busy weekend). Not sure I would have found a solution, but probably something better than what we ended up doing :p

I also wanted to respond to this post:

/out for the next game.

I am sure I will regret it, but they are coming a bit too fast for me to be able to spend the required time to think them through. Maybe it would be different if we were told in advance what the next game is going to be.

I'm having a bit of a hard time keeping up with it too, and I'm considering changing default deadlines to 48 hours instead of 24 hours.  I think taking a 24-hour break after each game is something that I will probably make a habit of in general.  That also gives people some time to talk about the previous game, especially if communication was prohibited.

Announcing games in advance isn't really possible for most of the games though, because a lot of them need to prohibit communication (at least for the beginning of the game), and a lot of them are in rough draft form until just before I post the rules.

Yep, I get that. It's just that the first two games required a relatively small amount of thinking, while the third one was really tricky, and it took me by surprise.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 15, 2017, 09:45:58 pm »

ah, crud. i just thought of a quick-and-dirty probably has at least one way to do it between the four tiles solution

every tile corresponds to a number 0-63; guesser picks (sum of all heads)%64
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19  All

Page created in 2.105 seconds with 19 queries.