Dominion > Variants and Fan Cards

4est's Cards

<< < (2/12) > >>

weety4:
Kinda nice to see a first post of actually tested fan cards (instead of just ideas that only sometimes get tested and revised). They all look very balanced.
While I agree with Theta that the discard mechanics of most of them is not that interesting not all fan cards can be wild and innovative.

About Water Wheel, I think that this would be too expensive at 6$. If there is a Lab (variant) in the Kingdom it is much safer to go for that then for a card which is only a Lab during the start of the turn. Now of course you could still chain them: if you discard a Water Wheel and draw another one it is still the start of your turn so you could again discard a Water Wheel for 2 cards and so on. But it is still riskier than a normal Lab and those 2 VPs might not make up for that risk.

Asper:

--- Quote from: LibraryAdventurer on January 31, 2017, 02:59:28 am ---Waterwheel would probably be fine at $6. (@Theta, it's only a lab or silver if you start with it in your hand.)
--- End quote ---
That's technically true, but only matters if you are buying sufficiently many drawing nonterminals (or terminal draw $ non-drawing villages). If you don't, there is no observable difference between Watermill and Lab. And as a Lab that also provides VP seems like a strategy in and on itself, this doesn't appear to be a bad thing to go for, either. Even though it's not strictly better than Harem, I believe it's still a monolithic path to victory for 6$.

4est:
Thanks guys for the comments thus far--especially Theta and LibraryAdventurer--super helpful stuff! 

I'm currently working to make slight revisions to Peasant Village, Falconer, Investor, Marshal, and Rebellion which I'll agree are all currently a bit vanilla.  I've got a few ideas which I think will add a bit of complexity and unique flavor to each card without becoming overly complex or overpowered.  I'll of course need to playtest revisions before posting updates (my playtesting schedule is currently somewhat determined by how much Dominion my incredibly patient wife is willing to play with me every evening haha). 

I like the idea of maybe trying Cryptex without the discard penalty.  I played a game the other day where that part got a bit annoying--will need to make sure it's not too strong without that.  And yeah, Astronomer needs more playtesting to figure out how much revealing (just my hand, just another player's, or both) will make the card sometimes a Lab (like Vagrant or Patrician), but not like all the time. 

On Water Wheel, that was the last card I made and has thus gotten far less play testing than some of the other cards.  Thanks LibraryAdventurer for pointing out that, yes, it's only a Lab or Silver if it's in your hand at the start of your turn.  But reading the comments and looking at it some more, I'm realizing some potential problems with this mechanic--for example, if your deck is small enough, you could theoretically discard and draw the same WW over and over which is weird (albeit usually pointless).  Gonna go back to the drawing board on this one too. 

Thanks again for the comments thus far, my friends!  Will start posting updated cards in the OP when I have time.  Please keep posting any other observations on the cards--I really appreciate the help!

herw:

--- Quote from: 4est on January 29, 2017, 06:40:21 pm ---Hello friends!
[...]

The last card I made.  Water Wheel is one point less than Duchy for the same price, but it gives a nifty bonus (that doesn’t use up an action) anytime you start your turn with one in hand.  It’s not an Action card, so if you draw it later in your turn, it’s just a plain old Victory card, but it might possibly need Reaction-typing.  For now, it just has the Victory type, but I’d be curious to hear what others think.

--- End quote ---
hmm - what will happen if i have more than one water wheel on hand? Am i allowed to play again a water wheel?
If so, i wouldn't like it, because there is a pre-action phase now.
I think it would be better to give in addition +1 action and set the card to Action-Victory.

Asper:
Yes, herw, and as "the start of your turn" isn't over after drawing, you can discard any number, including those you just drew. Therefore, you can chain Water Wheels arbitrarily and still have an Action left for your Mountebank, making them Lab+ in such decks.
But 4est already decided to re-do it, so, let's see  what comes next.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version