Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Did it have to be this long?  (Read 2018 times)

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Did it have to be this long?
« on: February 07, 2012, 06:29:41 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/07/game-20120207-152303-7861fe49.html

A tactician-Bank game... my (unranked) opponent opened Tact-Duchess, and only fell behind due to a few small tactical errors (Horse traders with bank..) IMO.

With 4 colonies out on Turn 13, I bought a duchy with 6$ thinking a double-colony turn for each of us was possible. This may have been a mistake

We had bought out 7 Colonies by turn 15.. and then I didn't pick up the last one until turn 27. I went for an estate over playing tactician on turn 17 as a desperate attempt to keep a tiebreak point up (he'd need Col-Duchy I believe not to lose on turns.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Did it have to be this long?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:47:47 pm »

There are any number of other things you could have done. Even by turn 6 you could have bought a warehouse.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:53:51 pm »

There are any number of other things you could have done. Even by turn 6 you could have bought a warehouse.

Warehouse is probably slightly better than Silver, but 1) I wanted banks quickly 2) When I only have 1-2 banks, I'd rather have a silver than a warehouse (silver gives +3$, need 2x estates-> copper on single bank to make up for it, which is hard if I have bank and not tactician in a hand.).

I don't think warehouse caused a 7-turn deficit from the expected ending. What are some of the other "any number of things" that I could have done?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 06:56:23 pm »

This board containing Tactician+Vault seems like a good board for a Double Tactician setup (with Forge to prep your deck for the initial setup). You could a) Use Vault-Tactician every turn to pick up a few Platinums and build up to Double Colony turns or b) Play Vault-Tactician every turn and buy a Province every turn rushing the game.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:02:41 pm »

This board containing Tactician+Vault seems like a good board for a Double Tactician setup (with Forge to prep your deck for the initial setup). You could a) Use Vault-Tactician every turn to pick up a few Platinums and build up to Double Colony turns or b) Play Vault-Tactician every turn and buy a Province every turn rushing the game.

I'm pretty sure a province rush is too slow and that banks are far superior than platinums in a tactician setup.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 07:11:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure a province rush is too slow and that banks are far superior than platinums in a tactician setup.
Banks aren't as useful if you use a Forge to ditch most of the treasure from you deck so you can reliably draw a Tactican and a Vault every turn. The goal of playing the Vault with the Tactician is to ditch almost your entire hand for $9 then playing the Tactician left in your hand (with a Copper/Estate/Province whatever) to get the Tactician bonus constantly.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 07:13:07 pm »

Banks aren't as useful if you use a Forge to ditch most of the treasure from you deck so you can reliably draw a Tactican and a Vault every turn. The goal of playing the Vault with the Tactician is to ditch almost your entire hand for $9 then playing the Tactician left in your hand (with a Copper/Estate/Province whatever) to get the Tactician bonus constantly.

I've used a double-tact/vault engine before, and can't really seem to beat 4 provinces in like 12 turns.. which is insufficient here. does forge help that much?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 07:22:34 pm »

4 Provinces in 12 turns means 8 Provinces in 16 turns or 51-48 points depending on whether you shed your Estates. Your opponent only had 43 points at that point in the game. So it probably would have been enough, though admittedly a bit close. If you didn't feel safe you could have always delayed a bit and picked up some other green cards to bolster your lead before going for the Penultimate Province.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 07:42:54 pm »

I just knocked up a rough copy of your game quickly in the simulator. If I played your strategy against a similar strategy just buying some warehouses after the second silver, the win rate is something like 25%:67%. The warehouse brings your good cards into play sooner and discards your green cards on the tactician turns for something useful. As for the other options :

A shanty town could be used for +2 cards since you had no terminal actions.
An inn could return a tactician to the top of the deck.
The forge could close the game out, even if you just forge a colony for a colony.
The vault can be played for +2 cards, discarding the green card for an odd coin and helping the banks too. Good for tactician turns.
Take platinum instead of the 3rd or 4th banks. They're only going to be worth less on very rare tactician turns.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.492 seconds with 20 queries.