Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: let's discuss guilds cards: doctor  (Read 2384 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
let's discuss guilds cards: doctor
« on: January 12, 2017, 12:44:46 am »
+1

"...and which disease would you like to name today?"

nothing more effectively captures the spirit of trashing in dominion like inconsistency. trashing with doctor is not the finest art; you generally want to be good at remembering what your junks are, counting your deck, and not having any good cards in your draw pile. indeed, doctor is a strong card that is plagued by how much it sucks, sometimes.

-something something 3/4 or 4/3?
-do you have some sort of rule of thumb for when to name estate over copper? or is that really boring?
-what do you do if you accidentally purchase a doctor and then be distributed ruins?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:10:47 pm by schadd »
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
Re: let's discuss guilds cards: doctor
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 02:01:40 am »

Later trashing using doctor isn't that important. Important part of it is overpay, ideally 5/2 where you could pretty reliably trash 2 estates. 2/5 Is worse due to reshuffling making drawing doctor less probable. Other strategy is to use middle game big overpay. Note that for 4 doctor doesn't increase deck size much as it often replaces junk that you trashed.

As trashing copper its most of times correct move unless you are sure there are likely more estates than coppers or you trashed down lot of copper. That is because multiple trashing with doctor is more effective as it cycles coppers that you trashed.

In midgame doctor is almost useless as there is rarely junk in next three cards, unless you have warehouse/other sifter to discard three curses after drawing deck and trash them.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:28:45 am »

It goes nicely with Cartographer, though Cartographer kind of obviates the need for Doctor in the first place.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:13:27 am »
+1

It's very thematic of a medieval doctor. Kinda iffy, but the more you pay for him, the more likely he is to work.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 10:28:48 am »
+2

It's very thematic of essentially everyone. Kinda iffy, but the more you pay them, the more likely they are to work.
FTFY
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 12:13:48 pm »

Good counter to Sea Hag.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 01:00:51 pm »

It goes nicely with Cartographer, though Cartographer kind of obviates the need for Doctor in the first place.

Cartographer doesn't obviate the usefulness of trashing. For example, on a board with Sentry as the only trashing and Cartographer, you'll almost always want to buy at least one Sentry before buying any Cartographers.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 20 queries.