Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 3 Piles of Treasure  (Read 2726 times)

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
3 Piles of Treasure
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:55:28 pm »

So I had this idea after reading this thread--it'd be crazy to have a game ending on 3 piles where those 3 piles are Copper, Silver, and Gold.

This of course begs the question--what would such a game look like? That prompted me to start a thread here, with the challenge namely being to design a Kingdom (if possible) where there's a reasonable chance of this ending taking place.

Seems like key players have to include Trader, Tunnel, probably Hoard, maybe Counting House/Coppersmith or something, perhaps Talisman...

I won't be too shocked if it's not really feasible at all, but hopefully this will make for some interesting discussion anyway.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Empathy

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Piles of Treasure
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 11:10:43 pm »

Hm, ambassador/KC vs Trader/hoard sounds like a distant possibility.

Basically, the amb/KC player just wants to flood the other player's deck with copper (and probably curse).

The hoard/trader player just tries to defend, while greening reasonably well (eventually trashing gold on trader to drown his green, coppers and curses in silver).

The only danger I see is the curse pile emptying before the third treasure pile does.

Mind you, you could replace amb/KC by trasher/mountebank/KC, though again, the curses will empty out before the coppers. Maybe trasher/jester/KC?

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 03:11:26 am »

Might as well make it a 4-player game, with 2 Ambassadorers and 2 Hoard/Traderers.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:20:38 am »

This is probably too crazy, but something like

King's Court
Goons
Explorer
Embassy
City
Treasure Map
Tunnel
Fishing Village
Embargo
Native Village

I'm envisioning a game where because of (KC) Embargoed green cards and fear of giving someone else an advantage by activating cities (and probably embargoed cities) both players are going for pure Goons tokens. And they're focusing their buys on the treasure piles (in particular copper) to avoid emptying any piles.

But there's no way that runs out the Gold.  Using the Embargo cheat again to make sure all the Tunnels don't get bought, but both sides are perpetually discarding Tunnels to each other's Goons (staggeringly good luck).

But how to run out the Silvers? If no one's buying green then no one's buying B-crat, If Jack were out they wouldn't fear the curses from Embargo (already the least plausible part of the scenario) and can't have Trader because then the Embargo really isn't a deterrent.

Ok, both players bought a lot of Embassies in the hopes of getting their Goons out faster and a lot of Explorers because they went temporarily insane.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

ilpars

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 04:28:20 am »

Adding Bridge to this deck instead of a less helpful card might solve silver problem. KC-KC-Goon-Bridge-?  play will make all siver costs 0. So players will buy lots of Silvers. Also additional + buys from Bridges will be helpful.

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 07:08:57 am »

I think Geronimoo's solution will still be one of the fastest:

I did this in the past, here it is again:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/13/game-20111213-014547-4d8690ef.html

This board averages emptying the entire board (while gaining about 1000 VP) in 12 turns (I've done it in 10).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.04 seconds with 21 queries.