Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Fool's Gold + Chapel  (Read 21904 times)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Fool's Gold + Chapel
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2012, 02:52:50 pm »

The problem with ambassador+FG is that although it will probably beat the lower-end options here, it will very likely lose to ambassador=>engine. I think most of these FG strategies are going to be weak against any kind of junk-giving attack.

grobblewobble

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2013, 12:07:24 pm »

My most spectacular win so far has been with chapel + fool's gold. I only needed 3 copies of FG to win. In turns 3 to 5 I had good hands and was able to strip while simultaneously buy the next two FG. Turn 6, 7 and 8 I bought 3 provinces. This was in a 4 player game, so by that point I already had a very comfortable lead.

However, I have to add that there was a great cycle card available for $5 (so exactly possible to buy with 2 FG): Embassy. I bought one in turn 9 and was able to buy more provinces in the following turns. Without that card I would have run out of steam. And of course a 4 player MP game is ideal for a province rush in any case. Still, I think the combo has potential.

edit: things happened one turn later, sorry.. first province was turn 7. I had no game record, needed to reconstruct the game on top of my head.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:50:11 pm by grobblewobble »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 12:20:24 pm »
+12

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2013, 12:57:46 pm »
+2

So, would that be a necropolice card?

grobblewobble

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2013, 01:48:53 pm »

Yes, yes, I know it was a very old post. But still relevant, right? I could have started a new thread with a link to this one.

I also posted this because the wiki specifically says that fool's gold "dislikes chapel". Which I think depends very much on the rest of the cards..

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Fool%27s_Gold#What_doesn.27t_Fool.27s_Gold_like.3F
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:54:33 pm by grobblewobble »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2013, 02:02:07 pm »

No worries, we don't really mind old post replies around here. I just thought it would be funny :)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2013, 02:55:56 pm »

My most spectacular win so far has been with chapel + fool's gold. I only needed 3 copies of FG to win. In turns 3 to 5 I had good hands and was able to strip while simultaneously buy the next two FG. Turn 6, 7 and 8 I bought 3 provinces. This was in a 4 player game, so by that point I already had a very comfortable lead.

However, I have to add that there was a great cycle card available for $5 (so exactly possible to buy with 2 FG): Embassy. I bought one in turn 9 and was able to buy more provinces in the following turns. Without that card I would have run out of steam. And of course a 4 player MP game is ideal for a province rush in any case. Still, I think the combo has potential.

edit: things happened one turn later, sorry.. first province was turn 7. I had no game record, needed to reconstruct the game on top of my head.

Most of the analysis on this forum is for two player games.  A four player game certainly does change things, as it is much more difficult to achieve a critical mass of Fool's Gold.  If at least one of the four players decides to ignore Fool's Gold, then you would expect to get 3 or 4 of them.  More likely 3 if your opponents don't take Chapel.  But Chapelling and having Embassy to gather your Fool's Golds may be able to get them together.  Adventurer might even have been nice in a deck like this once the Copper is gone.
Well you *do* need a signature...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2013, 03:22:52 pm »
+3

Chapel isn't good for Fool's Gold in mirrors because you are trying to win  the FG split, and chapel slows that down - you have to spend a turn buying it, and then you are not trashing much with it (which defeats the point) or spending more turns trashing - all of which could have been FG. However, in non-mirrors, or to be more specific, when your opponent is not going for FG (say they're going for a treasureless deck - this is reasonably likely considering the presence of chapel on board), then chapel is really good for fool's gold, because it helps them connect a lot. So, you can't just make such a broad statement as 'fool's gold "dislikes chapel"', because it's only situationally true.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 1.895 seconds with 20 queries.