Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Traveller Line  (Read 2987 times)

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
Traveller Line
« on: December 14, 2016, 04:16:51 am »
+2

OK, this is a stab in the dark at the most difficult stuff to do: a Traveller line.
It borrows or directly uses cards and ideas of Asper, Cookielord and Multitalented.

Drunkard is a card by Cookielord.

Serf is incredibly weak. It features the 'mess with the time' mechanic of Asper's and Cookielord's Plantation which matters for Friar.
The card is obviously extremely bad in order to compensate for the second card in the line being a pretty good 3 (which is not the case with official Travellers).
If it is too bad "take 1 Debt" is the buff. Thematically Debt is in here to somehow represent feudalistic structures.

Freeman is a straightforward village version of Multitaltented's Detain (wording is directly from Theta's version)
It is probably a pretty good 3, if not a 4, and you might very well wanna keep Freemans in your deck if you need villages.
Thematically our Serf has now become a free peasant.

Friar is the most complex card. Early in the game this trashes and gains a little bit of something for your economy (Novices are one-shot Peddlers), very late in the game it gains a Duchy or something better and during the middle of the game it makes it harder for opponents to call cards which matters for Cardinal. This doesn't scale uniformly with player count, Beer compensates for Drunkard in a 2 player game but with 3 players you have on average 1 Beer and 2 Drunkards on your mat. Also not sure about whether the card should get the Attack type.
The window for exchanging this is small and you gotta consider whether you wanna keep a Friar in your deck in order to make opponent's Cardinals weaker.
Thematically our Freeman has now joined a monastic order and is all into beer-brewing.

Abbot is a bit like Golem, expect for the fact that it doesn't dig and also thrones Treasures. If there is junk on top it could also miss. So it is a tad weaker than Golem.

I am not sure about Cardinal yet, its permanent effect could be too strong relatively to calling this (keep in mind the Drunkards) in order to get a second turn. Calling and trashing this for a Province might be too automatic and/or too strong.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:07:52 am by tristan »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller Line
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 07:03:56 am »

Serf looks cool but it only interacts with one card in the line really, so I dunno. Reminds me of Nflicker's dragon slayer.

Freeman is okay, reminds me of Multitalented's Detain.

Friar needs to say "2 Cards from your hand" and what's a Novice? (see that now)

Abbot is my favorite, it's a cool card.

Cardinal has a lot going on but it looks like it could be fine.

All in all, the cards look good, and if you care about this kind of thing Friar and Cardinal still have the action border on under them, and the font for the is Minion Pro STD.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 07:44:42 am »
+1

How do you set put Beer and Drunkard on your Tavern Mat?

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 09:32:49 am »
+1

It's a pretty long step from Abbot to Cardinal. Monks, even those who become Abbots, rarely become priests, let alone bishops, and even more rarely do they rise to the cardinalate.

What about changing Abbot to Prior and Cardinal to Abbot (or keep abbot and change Cardinal to Archabbot or Primate or some such?)

Otherwise, this is a great Traveller chain.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 09:43:39 am by Marcory »

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 09:52:43 am »
+1

Serf looks cool but it only interacts with one card in the line really, so I dunno. Reminds me of Nflicker's dragon slayer.

Freeman is okay, reminds me of Multitalented's Detain.

Friar needs to say "2 Cards from your hand" and what's a Novice? (see that now)

Abbot is my favorite, it's a cool card.

Cardinal has a lot going on but it looks like it could be fine.

All in all, the cards look good, and if you care about this kind of thing Friar and Cardinal still have the action border on under them, and the font for the is Minion Pro STD.
Thanks for the tips, I fixed the art and the wording.

How do you set put Beer and Drunkard on your Tavern Mat?
Normally Friar would have to say "Gain a Beer, putting it on your Tavern mat. Each other player gains a Drunkard, putting it on their Tavern mat."
But for formatting reasons I had to skip that.

Kingreaper

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
    • Artemis Games
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 10:40:30 pm »
+1

Given as all cards that make you gain beers and drunkards will require them to go to the mat, you could have the text about going to the mat be on those cards themselves.

Also - Cardinal wants the "This can't cause you to take more than two turns in a row". Otherwise a double-cardinal lock is entirely possible.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:42:29 pm by Kingreaper »

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 09:58:58 am »
+1

It's a pretty long step from Abbot to Cardinal. Monks, even those who become Abbots, rarely become priests, let alone bishops, and even more rarely do they rise to the cardinalate.

What about changing Abbot to Prior and Cardinal to Abbot (or keep abbot and change Cardinal to Archabbot or Primate or some such?)

Otherwise, this is a great Traveller chain.

True, but Cardinal IS a cool name for a card.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.