Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Generic singular third-person pronoun  (Read 10459 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Re: Generic singular third-person pronoun
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2016, 02:57:59 pm »

I also endorse 'y'all'.

I prefer "you guys".

I usually say this but some people I know specifically don't like to be referred to by "guys", so I've been moving toward "you all" or "everybody" or "you peeps".
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2016, 02:58:35 pm »

There's always 'dudes'!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 03:04:58 pm »

"you peeps".

What do you mean, "you peeps"?!

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2016, 03:24:32 pm »

I also endorse 'y'all'.

I prefer "you guys".

I usually say this but some people I know specifically don't like to be referred to by "guys", so I've been moving toward "you all" or "everybody" or "you peeps".

Oh hey, I actually have friends that use "you peeps".

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2016, 03:30:38 pm »

There's always 'dudes'!

Both "dudes" and "guys" are understood by some many to be historically male, which makes them less suitable than ungendered alternatives like "folks", "y'all" and "peeps". Personally, I often say "guys" for multi-gender groups, but I tend to wish it wasn't the first thing that springs to mind.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2016, 03:35:10 pm »

I also endorse 'y'all'.

I prefer "you guys".

That's why I don't refer to them by "guys", but "you guys".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2016, 03:43:23 pm »

There's always 'dudes'!

Both "dudes" and "guys" are understood by some many to be historically male, which makes them less suitable than ungendered alternatives like "folks", "y'all" and "peeps". Personally, I often say "guys" for multi-gender groups, but I tend to wish it wasn't the first thing that springs to mind.

Gender-specifying 'dudes' is sexist!

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2016, 03:59:01 pm »

There's always 'dudes'!

Yeah, history and society tend to be sexist :-( Even if lots of people would prefer to use it in a totally generic way now, the historical connotations are still there. Responsible users of the term should respect that for plenty of people hearing it, it will have gendered connotations, and quite rationally so.
(See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dude for some etymology stuff).
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2016, 04:03:30 pm »

There's always 'dudes'!

Yeah, history and society tend to be sexist :-( Even if lots of people would prefer to use it in a totally generic way now, the historical connotations are still there. Responsible users of the term should respect that for plenty of people hearing it, it will have gendered connotations, and quite rationally so.

It's certainly a very layered word.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2016, 04:15:35 pm »

There's always 'dudes'!

It's certainly a very layered word.

Do you find any non-ironic equivalents with women using the word between themselves, though?

I just tried googling for women saying "dude", and mostly I get a lot of hits that are forum-style questions from men about what it means if a girl calls them "dude" -- the conclusion being that it's not something they're comfortable with, or it's something they find unusual. I'd argue that it's still a gendered term if it's used massively asymmetrically across genders, and also that male users of the word probably aren't very aware of how non-male listeners would perceive it anyway.. so basically it's not a top candidate for a gender-neutral term.

Also, the vid is funny, but you could kind of imagine them saying "potato" and pretty much having the same conversation :-)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2016, 04:32:15 pm »

I have a female friend that uses 'dude' almost exclusively for pronoun use, and we use 'dude' when addressing each other.  That dude knows what's up.  At any rate, it's not like I was seriously proposing 'dude' for dominant use.  It's slightly out of place in, for example, formal writing.

The video doesn't exactly work with 'potato', as it isn't a word you use to address people.   Though, we could use 'potato' as a gender-neutral pronoun.  Maybe you have something here....

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2016, 04:33:44 pm »

In Goodburger, Ed very much likes to sing a song that goes "I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, cause we're all dudes." I was led to believe it is a progressive word.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2016, 04:39:18 pm »

In Goodburger, Ed very much likes to sing a song that goes "I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, cause we're all dudes." I was led to believe it is a progressive word.

QEDude

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2016, 04:39:35 pm »
+1

A colleague a level above us referred to me and a colleague of the opposite sex from me as "these guys", less than sixty seconds after my post.  Piping hot anecdotes for you guys.  No need to thank me it's my duty

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2016, 06:04:22 pm »
+1

but you could kind of imagine them saying "potato" and pretty much having the same conversation :-)

Or "chicken".
A man has no signature

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2016, 07:38:33 pm »

No human has worth, so we ought to refer to everyone as 'it'!

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2016, 08:30:26 pm »

No matter what the intentions were, using he/him as the default pronoun implicitly asserts male is the default gender.

I want to bring this up, just as an interesting historical thing, but in Latin, the default gender basically was female for most inanimate objects. There was a third form for neuter, but female was used the most, with the male form second, and neuter last. I'm not sure why this is, but it's interesting to compare that to today with phrases like "fireman" instead of say "fireperson".
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2016, 07:57:49 am »

How about we just use 'pleb'?

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2016, 07:16:55 pm »
+1

i think shared disdain for the phrase "you guys" could be a novel way to unite the southern and feminist voting blocs

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2016, 10:45:29 am »
+2

No matter what the intentions were, using he/him as the default pronoun implicitly asserts male is the default gender.

I want to bring this up, just as an interesting historical thing, but in Latin, the default gender basically was female for most inanimate objects. There was a third form for neuter, but female was used the most, with the male form second, and neuter last. I'm not sure why this is, but it's interesting to compare that to today with phrases like "fireman" instead of say "fireperson".

Well, it definitely was female for all trees and plants, and usually for abstract concepts too (pretty much everything that in english ends with -ity, like dignity, and many more), but outside that I'm not convinced a majority of the other words being feminine.
This post on wordreference's forums from somebody that counted nouns in a Latin dictionary seems to indicate that 45% of latin nouns are feminine. (vs 33% masculine and 21% neuter). They are not divided by semantic field, but I'm inclined to think that feminine's plurality is due to all those the abstract nouns being feminine rather than due to a skewed distribution in the "concrete objects" set.

That was all for today, see you tomorrow for the next episode of Classical Pedant.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.701 seconds with 21 queries.